Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

It isn't right that Ralph has had to wait all this while for his own thread.

Still making my way through the Handley box, but the Romanza (Lento) from the Fifth Symphony, especially, was so utterly, spine-tingling ravishing, I had to repeat it.

Recent performances here in Boston of the Sixth Symphony and the Tallis Fantasia were particular highlights of the season, from this senator's standpoint.

MishaK

Quote from: karlhenning on April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM
Recent performances here in Boston of the Sixth Symphony and the Tallis Fantasia were particular highlights of the season, from this senator's standpoint.

I wish someone would program RVW in my neck of the woods! I don't understand why Nos. 4 & 7 in particular aren't preformed more often.

karlhenning

Must be trouble finding a wind machine for No. 7  ;D

Hector

Quote from: karlhenning on April 12, 2007, 06:44:04 AM
Must be trouble finding a wind machine for No. 7  ;D

Especially now there's Global Warming!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on April 12, 2007, 06:40:04 AM
I wish someone would program RVW in my neck of the woods! I don't understand why Nos. 4 & 7 in particular aren't preformed more often.

O, you'll have to plan a trip to Stuttgart this June: Norrington has the Fourth programmed along with the Elgar Violin Concerto (Hilary Hahn).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 12, 2007, 07:09:38 AM
O, you'll have to plan a trip to Stuttgart this June: Norrington has the Fourth programmed along with the Elgar Violin Concerto (Hilary Hahn).

If I didn't have a violent allergy to everything Norrington does, I would consider it, if only to hear Hahn. She did a marvellous Goldmark here two weeks ago with the CSO, capped by an encore performance of a solo violin transcription of Schubert's Erlkönig. BTW, that reminds me, you still owe us a full acount of your trip to Berlin.

karlhenning

That is a terrific concert program . . . I admit, I mentally added a question mark to the conductor's name :-)

Harry

Still waiting for me to be heard is the complete set with Haitink on EMI.
I should start with that soon I guess! :)

MishaK

Quote from: Harry on April 12, 2007, 09:15:28 AM
Still waiting for me to be heard is the complete set with Haitink on EMI.
I should start with that soon I guess! :)

It's a great one. I just got that recently. Best Antartica without narration.

Harry

Quote from: O Mensch on April 12, 2007, 09:23:51 AM
It's a great one. I just got that recently. Best Antartica without narration.

You are kidding me right?
Are you saying its without this irritating narration?
Then indeed it is a great one.
Heard some fragments from the 5th & 6th symphonies.
Awesome!

MishaK

Quote from: Harry on April 12, 2007, 09:33:47 AM
You are kidding me right?
Are you saying its without this irritating narration?
Then indeed it is a great one.
Heard some fragments from the 5th & 6th symphonies.
Awesome!

Yes, Haitink's Antartica is without narration. Boult has the traditionally used poems that RVW put in the original score. Leppard (Indianapolis SO) has a very fine recording with an alternative narration of excerpts from Scott's diaries, which I think works better. Allegedly, Leppard discussed this idea with RVW personally.

Harry

Quote from: O Mensch on April 12, 2007, 09:38:15 AM
Yes, Haitink's Antartica is without narration. Boult has the traditionally used poems that RVW put in the original score. Leppard (Indianapolis SO) has a very fine recording with an alternative narration of excerpts from Scott's diaries, which I think works better. Allegedly, Leppard discussed this idea with RVW personally.

Well I will give it a spin tonight.
Thanks for this wonderful news.

karlhenning

The only Haitink I've heard is the Pastoral and the Fourth, and it is mighty good.

The superscripts to the five movements of the Sinfonia antartica are entirely absent from the Handley.  They are included on the Kees Bakels disc, but clumped together at the end, so they are easily avoided  8)

BachQ

My fave is No. 8 in d minor . . . . . . .

karlhenning

pjme

I mentioned it in another thread - but I invite you all to Antwerp for :

Vaughan Williams Symfonie nr. 1, 'A sea symphony'

Thursday 26 april 2007 | 19:45 | Open Repetition | Filharmonisch Huis

Vrijdag 27 april 2007 | 20:00 | Koningin Elisabethzaal

Soile Isokoski – sopraan | David Wilson-Johnson – bariton | Philippe Herreweghe – dirigent

deFilharmonie | KoorAcademie | Huddersfield Choral Society

This could be a very interesting start . I wasntable to find out if Herreweghe has plans to perform more RVW..!?

MishaK

Quote from: pjme on April 12, 2007, 12:29:17 PM
I mentioned it in another thread - but I invite you all to Antwerp for :

Vaughan Williams Symfonie nr. 1, 'A sea symphony'

Thursday 26 april 2007 | 19:45 | Open Repetition | Filharmonisch Huis

Vrijdag 27 april 2007 | 20:00 | Koningin Elisabethzaal

Soile Isokoski – sopraan | David Wilson-Johnson – bariton | Philippe Herreweghe – dirigent

deFilharmonie | KoorAcademie | Huddersfield Choral Society

This could be a very interesting start . I wasntable to find out if Herreweghe has plans to perform more RVW..!?

That sounds fantastic! Soile Isokoski is superb. I heard her do Sibelius and Mozart with Colin Davis/NYPO last year and Beethoven 9 with Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin. Her disc of Sibelius songs is a gem.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on April 12, 2007, 07:17:29 AM
If I didn't have a violent allergy to everything Norrington does, I would consider it, if only to hear Hahn.... BTW, you still owe us a full acount of your trip to Berlin.

Quote from: karlhenning on April 12, 2007, 07:20:53 AM
That is a terrific concert program . . . I admit, I mentally added a question mark to the conductor's name :-)

Karl, O, I'm of two minds about Norrington: I love his HIP Beethoven and Berlioz but haven't been thrilled by much else he's done, including his RVW cycle (2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 recorded so far, I believe). I bought the first installment (3 & 5), wasn't impressed (too fast and very cold, unemotional) and have avoided the rest. Still, it's not often one has a chance to hear RVW live in Germany and I'm not going to miss this. But, yeah, the big draw for me is Hahn.

Sarge

P.S. I'll probably write up the Berlin trip, and post some pics, tomorrow. I'm not feeling up to it now. I've been fighting a cold; I feel lethargic and mentally out of it.
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 12, 2007, 01:28:28 PM
Karl, O, I'm of two minds about Norrington: I love his ... Berlioz

Really? I find it execrable.

Sergeant Rock