Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Guido on September 07, 2009, 04:45:28 AM
What? You don't like the Serenade? Surely it's like Barber's adagio in that however many times it gets played, its still as fresh and beautiful... I guess not for everybody!

The Wasps is awful though!

Has anyone heard the new Clare Choir/Willcocks CD of Vaughan Williams world premieres? (large late pieces whose names escape me at the moment). I've just ordered it in order to review it, but it hasn't recieved any other reviews at all as far as I can see.

Don't know why I don't like the Serenade  ??? Perhaps a bit 'precious' for my taste - I prefer the orchestral version.  I have the new CD - very disappointed - sounds like a collection of trad folk songs - not my cup of tea (although I do drink a lot of cups of tea  ;D)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Guido

Quote from: vandermolen on September 07, 2009, 03:48:04 PM
Don't know why I don't like the Serenade  ??? Perhaps a bit 'precious' for my taste - I prefer the orchestral version.  I have the new CD - very disappointed - sounds like a collection of trad folk songs - not my cup of tea (although I do drink a lot of cups of tea  ;D)

I think I also prefer the orchestral version actually... Shame about the CD - wish I hadn't ordered it now! Ah well, maybe there'll be something to redeem it.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

vandermolen

Quote from: Guido on September 07, 2009, 05:32:20 PM
I think I also prefer the orchestral version actually... Shame about the CD - wish I hadn't ordered it now! Ah well, maybe there'll be something to redeem it.

You might like it more than I did - there is nice stuff on the CD and I only heard it once.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

drogulus

I like the Boult recording with 16 soloists, and I enjoyed seeing it performed by a local group. I still haven't listened to the orchestral version I picked up recently (Hickox/Northern Sinfonia).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on September 07, 2009, 03:48:04 PM

Quote from: Guido on September 07, 2009, 05:32:20 PM

Since I love folk songs I'll probably really enjoy it. Thanks, guys, for pointing out the existence of this CD.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 09, 2009, 03:45:05 AM
Since I love folk songs I'll probably really enjoy it. Thanks, guys, for pointing out the existence of this CD.

Sarge

Here it is Sarge:

Guido

I've listened to this CD 3 times now, and like it more each time I listened. I thought these were two rather mediocre works, but actually they reveal new subtleties every time I've heard them, simple though they are. Affecting folk song settings, and the Wedding Song from Sir John in Love, is really very beautiful and moving.
Geologist.

vandermolen

Quote from: Guido on September 10, 2009, 06:28:41 AM
I've listened to this CD 3 times now, and like it more each time I listened. I thought these were two rather mediocred works, but actually they reveal new subtleties every time I've heard them, simple though they are. Affecting folk song settings, and the Wedding Song from Sir John in Love, is really very beautiful and moving.

OK, I must definitely listen again!

Guido

Only Britten can match him in folk song setting IMHO. English folk song that is.
Geologist.

Guido

Household music - written for amateur during the second world war who might have fleed into their air raid shelter with their instruments - beautifully idealistic perhaps but the music is just so gorgeous and sincere - I keep returning to it. It's written for any combination of instruments, but both recordings that have appeared have been played by strings - one by a quartet and one by a string orchestra with a horn. It's a shame no one's tried to record it with a rag-bag ensemble as yet but it's definitely worth seeking out. (It's on Spotify)
Geologist.

vandermolen

Happy 137th Birthday RVW  :)

Born 12th October 1872

Benji

I'm falling in love with Vaughan Williams all over again. I have been intentionally ignoring a lot of pieces that I suspected I would love, saving them for times I might need them. Last week, I don't know if it is the onset of SAD perhaps, but I really needed a pick up so I allowed myself to listen to the Piano Concerto and yes I love it, and also to the Songs of Travel and yes I love them. I've only listened once though and I think i'll let them be for a while longer! Is that strange behavior? Perhaps.

I've also been listening to the orchestrated On Wenlock Edge a great deal. I have the Rattle/Tear and Haitink/Bostridge combinations, and much prefer the latter. I just find Robert Tear, and Rattle's accompaniment too mannered - I feel very aware that i'm listening to a song, where with Bostridge and Haitink I am entirely immersed in the imagery. One thing I will give Rattle though - he really brings out the Ravelian influence in the tone colouring, but as I say, I don't want to be aware of such things, I just want to be whisked away.

Bredon Hill, with Ian Bostridge, is just so achingly beautiful. If you don't know these songs yet, please do get to know them. Or make a mental note save to them for a bad day.  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Benji on October 18, 2009, 07:06:54 AM
I'm falling in love with Vaughan Williams all over again. I have been intentionally ignoring a lot of pieces that I suspected I would love, saving them for times I might need them. Last week, I don't know if it is the onset of SAD perhaps, but I really needed a pick up so I allowed myself to listen to the Piano Concerto and yes I love it, and also to the Songs of Travel and yes I love them. I've only listened once though and I think i'll let them be for a while longer! Is that strange behavior? Perhaps.

I've also been listening to the orchestrated On Wenlock Edge a great deal. I have the Rattle/Tear and Haitink/Bostridge combinations, and much prefer the latter. I just find Robert Tear, and Rattle's accompaniment too mannered - I feel very aware that i'm listening to a song, where with Bostridge and Haitink I am entirely immersed in the imagery. One thing I will give Rattle though - he really brings out the Ravelian influence in the tone colouring, but as I say, I don't want to be aware of such things, I just want to be whisked away.

Bredon Hill, with Ian Bostridge, is just so achingly beautiful. If you don't know these songs yet, please do get to know them. Or make a mental note save to them for a bad day.  ;)

I do really like the orchestral 'Songs of travel' with Rattle - the EMI CD contains a fine song cycle by Butterworth too 'Coming up from Richmond' is a a lovely song. Which version of the Piano Concerto did you listen to?

Benji

Quote from: vandermolen on October 18, 2009, 08:33:21 AM
I do really like the orchestral 'Songs of travel' with Rattle - the EMI CD contains a fine song cycle by Butterworth too 'Coming up from Richmond' is a a lovely song. Which version of the Piano Concerto did you listen to?

The recording on Lyrita with Vernon Handley / Howard Shelley. That would be the one piano version. I'm sure my Boult EMI box set has a version which is perhaps the two piano one? Should I dig that out?

Dana

Quote from: Benji on October 18, 2009, 07:06:54 AMI've also been listening to the orchestrated On Wenlock Edge a great deal. I have the Rattle/Tear and Haitink/Bostridge combinations, and much prefer the latter. I just find Robert Tear, and Rattle's accompaniment too mannered - I feel very aware that i'm listening to a song, where with Bostridge and Haitink I am entirely immersed in the imagery. One thing I will give Rattle though - he really brings out the Ravelian influence in the tone colouring, but as I say, I don't want to be aware of such things, I just want to be whisked away.

I did not know that there was an orchestrated version! I did play the piano quintet version with a talented tenor in Ann Arbor, and it was fantastic - this is some of Vaughan-Williams' most evocative music (especially the bells in Bredon Hill), right up there with the London Symphony.

vandermolen

Quote from: Benji on October 18, 2009, 08:49:50 AM
The recording on Lyrita with Vernon Handley / Howard Shelley. That would be the one piano version. I'm sure my Boult EMI box set has a version which is perhaps the two piano one? Should I dig that out?

Yes, yes - the Boult/Vronsky/Babin EMI two piano version is my favourite version of all. The single EMI release with Boult's fourth and last recording of 'Job' was a great CD.

PS A two piano version of Symphony No 6 will be issued on Albion records soon.

Benji

Quote from: Dana on October 18, 2009, 03:53:37 PM
     I did not know that there was an orchestrated version! I did play the piano quintet version with a talented tenor in Ann Arbor, and it was fantastic - this is some of Vaughan-Williams' most evocative music (especially the bells in Bredon Hill), right up there with the London Symphony.

Help yourself, help the economy. Win win.  ;)

(This disc is just terrific: my favourite recording of the sixth symphony, the gentle grandeur of In the Fen Country and beautifully rounded off with some first class orchestral songs)

vandermolen

Quote from: Benji on October 19, 2009, 09:47:27 AM

Help yourself, help the economy. Win win.  ;)

(This disc is just terrific: my favourite recording of the sixth symphony, the gentle grandeur of In the Fen Country and beautifully rounded off with some first class orchestral songs)

Yes, that is a great CD of all the works - nice cover art too.

karlhenning

Quote from: vandermolen on October 19, 2009, 11:12:59 PM
Yes, that is a great CD of all the works - nice cover art too.

(* pounds the table *)

vandermolen