Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Guido on September 05, 2010, 05:09:14 PM
I don't think it's just a lack of material - the material itself is lacking - one understands why Vaughan Williams layed it aside. (After all he had plenty of time to complete it)

I also very much like Holst's Invocation and think though it's a minor work, that the material is stronger and the piece has far more of its own character and very special beauty.

I agree with you about the Holst - it is a superior work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Benji

Greetings!

I got a copy of Bryden Thomson conducting the 9th, with Howard Shelley performing the Piano Concerto (single piano version). Awesome awesome awesome. Fully deserving of a triptych of awesomeness. I have the Scherzo on repeat now because I'm loving the little episode with the wonderfully hushed muted trumpets (about 2:07 in). Sad yes, but it's a little detail that i'm not sure I noticed before and i'm appreciating it ok  :D

I also got him conducting the 6th on another disc, and I like it. Not sure I like it more than Haitink or Berglund, but I'll give it a few more spins for sure.

In other news, later in the month Hyperion are re-releasing a highly-rated disc of Serenade to Music with the original 16 soloist line-up (Matthew Best conducting). It's at budget price so i'll be picking that up this time around.

Also, I noticed that EMI Classics have a youtube channel now. There is an interesting video of the recording session of Haitink/LPO and Ian Bostridge performing the orchestral version of On Wenlock Edge (a work for which I could not fit enough awesomes onto this page). Even if you don't find the music, or Ian Bostridge's commentary, interesting, it's definitely worth watching to to see how young and skinny-looking he is (how does he make that much noise?). And the boy has some taste in jumpers...  8)

mc ukrneal

Having a very tough time choosing a Vaughn Williams symphony series. I've been looking at a series because of the sheer rediculous price on EMI these days. Here is what I have been looking at:
Symphonies, Handley (~$24 all in and includes a few other pieces)
RVW Set (30 discs at $44)
Symphonies, Thomson ($54)
Symphonies, Boult ($43)
Symphonies 4-6, Gibson and Silvestri ($9)

The big EMI set seems like a great deal, except I haven't yet really fallen in love with his music and 30 discs is a lot to buy when one is not sure how one will ultimately come down on the music.  And $24 isn't a bad deal for all that music either (which is what I was orignally considering).

What do you think?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Lethevich

As much as I want to say grab the collector's box because of how good the music is, I agree that it is probably a good idea to leave it for a while until you are more sure whether you enjoy the music.

I really love the Handley set and view it as a perfect introduction to RVW, but this cycle is included in the box, so if you want to buy that later this would be a duplication worth avoiding. The Boult/EMI set is a no-brainer - it's exceptional - and the 2 CD Berglund/Gibson is as essential a suppliment as you could ask for - Berglund's 4th and 6th are distinctive interpretations which would contrast well with any established cycle. Gibson's 5th is very fine as well, as is Silvestri's superb Tallis.

I've seen near unanimous praise for the Thomson cycle, but I've been too cheap to buy it so far.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scarpia

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe on September 16, 2010, 01:50:25 PMI've seen near unanimous praise for the Thomson cycle, but I've been too cheap to buy it so far.

It's my favorite RVW symphony set. Brilliantly conducted, performed, and recorded. Whether you want to take the plunge is up to you, but I think it's an essential set in any RVW collection along with Thomson's other recordings like the 2-CD set of concertos.

Lethevich

Quote from: Scarpia on September 16, 2010, 01:54:15 PM
Haitink!  (runs away)
>:( ;)

@ Mirror Image - that Thomson concertos set is indeed great, along with the Berglund twofer it's one of those RVW discs that is almost illogical for a fan not to own.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe on September 16, 2010, 02:01:07 PM@ Mirror Image - that Thomson concertos set is indeed great

What until you hear his symphony set. ;) It's just so damn good.

Benji

Quote from: Scarpia on September 16, 2010, 01:54:15 PM
Haitink!  (runs away)

If you're serious, I second it. If you're being sarcastic, boo to you.  8)

Haitink is a good buy - he does super versions of 1, 6, 7 and 9 and to boot you get the most gorgeous recording of the song cycle On Wenlock Edge, plus a fab tone poem In the Fen Country. It's super cheap too. I wouldn't be without it.

Also can't get enough of the Berglund 4 & 6, that is my go-to for both those symphonies. Some say he brings a Sibelian touch to them.,,,perhaps (6 more obviously) but 4 is totally searing I think, so Sibelian may give you a false impression. At any rate, get this straight away and whilst the discussion re: box sets continues :D

Lethevich

I can't hear too much Sibelius in the recordings either, but what is there is a magnificent, brooding sense of weight. The (other) BSO strings sound brilliant, and as you say, in the 4th he finds quite some heft in the piece. It makes me wonder how Hickox's 4th compares - many of the rave reviews for that recording originated before the reissue of the Berglund.

Edit: the 4th was with the Royal PO, not the Bournemouth SO (that was the 6th). You win this time, memory >:(

Scarpia

Quote from: Benji on September 16, 2010, 03:32:15 PM
If you're serious, I second it. If you're being sarcastic, boo to you.  8)

I like it, but it is controversial around here, I find.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ukrneal on September 16, 2010, 11:40:44 AM
Having a very tough time choosing a Vaughn Williams symphony series. I've been looking at a series because of the sheer rediculous price on EMI these days. Here is what I have been looking at:
Symphonies, Boult ($43)

The big EMI set seems like a great deal, except I haven't yet really fallen in love with his music and 30 discs is a lot to buy when one is not sure how one will ultimately come down on the music.  And $24 isn't a bad deal for all that music either (which is what I was orignally considering).

What do you think?

If you're looking just for a symphony set, then it's hard to go wrong with the Thomson (I bet you guys didn't see that one coming  :P ). I think Andrew Davis and Boult (on EMI) are also great cycles. I'm less impressed with Previn, Handley, Slatkin, and Daniel/Bakels (Naxos). I own them all and have heard them all. I also own almost every single recording of his symphonies outside of the box sets.

But if you choose the Thomson, be prepared to buy the companion 2-CD set of concertos. It's a must-buy!

eyeresist

For a complete set, my recommendation is always to go with Previn. Shame he's not on EMI :) Otherwise, buy the Handley set (you don't need the Collector's Edition unless you are a completist). He's the most consistent.

Lethevich

I wouldn't say that the collector's edition is worth it for every last obscure song or motet, but more for the 10 or more discs of major works alongside the symphonies. Buying those seperately is a pretty big expenditure... Naturally the definition of "major work" will remain eternally ambiguous ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on September 16, 2010, 05:41:22 PMOtherwise, buy the Handley set (you don't need the Collector's Edition unless you are a completist). He's the most consistent.

I disagree. Handley is quite uneven. His performances of the A Sea Symphony, A London Symphony, and Symphony No. 5 are incredibly lackluster. Thomson is the most consistent symphony cycle of all. I'm not sure how many comparisons you've done, but I own all the cycles and I've compared all of them. Handley is at the bottom of my list, though his performance of A Pastoral Symphony and Job: A Masque for Dancing are outstanding.

My problem with Previn is the awful audio quality that plagues the whole cycle. The performances are fine, but the audio makes this set unbearable for me to listen to.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe on September 16, 2010, 05:44:34 PM
I wouldn't say that the collector's edition is worth it for every last obscure song or motet, but more for the 10 or more discs of major works alongside the symphonies. Buying those seperately is a pretty big expenditure... Naturally the definition of "major work" will remain eternally ambiguous ;D

I never bought that collection because I think it's a joke really. Usually sets like those, especially from EMI, are rush jobs. There is usually no kind of thought put into what to include/what not to include and the booklets to those EMI sets are a travesty beyond words. It just seems like bad deal all the way around in my opinion.

Lethevich

I must admit, at times I found even the simple tracklisting in the Collector's Edition to be woefully unclear in its layout. If you can't get a tracklisting right, what can you do, EMI?

But regardless I am happy to own all three of their big boxes. Some are more valuble than others -  the major works in the Elgar box could be easily collected elsewhere, but the Britten set is a treasure-trove of sleepers and goodies given how much attention the Decca recordings of the composer get. The RVW falls in the middle - there is a lot of great music that I would be unwilling to pay the neccessary large amounts to buy seperately (mainly the operas and songs).

Also, re-quoting ukrneal's question so it's not buried under my chatter :-X

Quote from: ukrneal on September 16, 2010, 11:40:44 AM
Symphonies, Boult ($43)

What do you think?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe on September 16, 2010, 06:25:47 PM
I must admit, at times I found even the simple tracklisting in the Collector's Edition to be woefully unclear in its layout. If you can't get a tracklisting right, what can you do, EMI?

But regardless I am happy to own all three of their big boxes. Some are more valuble than others -  the major works in the Elgar box could be easily collected elsewhere, but the Britten set is a treasure-trove of sleepers and goodies given how much attention the Decca recordings of the composer get. The RVW falls in the middle - there is a lot of great music that I would be unwilling to pay the neccessary large amounts to buy seperately (mainly the operas and songs)

I own all the Elgar on EMI that I wanted and I own all the Britten on EMI that I wanted and the RVW seemed just like a ridiculous afterthought to me. EMI isn't one of my favorite labels anyway. Come to think of it, there aren't many recordings on EMI that I own that I come back to very much. My labels of choice are: Chandos, Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, Ondine, BIS, Naxos, RCA, Sony, and Warner Classics.

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 16, 2010, 06:01:46 PM
I disagree. Handley is quite uneven. His performances of the A Sea Symphony, A London Symphony, and Symphony No. 5 are incredibly lackluster. Thomson is the most consistent symphony cycle of all. I'm not sure how many comparisons you've done
I have Previn, Handley, Thomson, most of the Naxos cycle, Haitink, Boult/EMI, plus a few singles. I'd probably put them in that order too. Thomson is usually too stiff and stolid for my tastes, but I admire him in 5 and 8.

On my less-than-audiophile system, Previn's sound is more agreeable than most of the others.

Mirror Image

What do you all think of RVW's operas? I haven't heard any of them as many may know I'm not a big opera fan, but I'm anxious to hear Sir John In Love and The Pilgrim's Progress.