Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

The cover CD with BBC Music Magazine for January 2012 includes Vaughan Williams conducting his 'Dona Nobis Pacem', shortly after its first performance. It is a terrifically gripping performance with greater depth than any other (Bryden Thomson's is my favourite modern version). The transfer is very good. This is a very rare example of Vaughan Williams conducting his own music.  I think that it is an even greater performance that his much admired recording of his Symphony No 4.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 24, 2011, 03:18:40 PM
The cover CD with BBC Music Magazine for January 2012 includes Vaughan Williams conducting his 'Dona Nobis Pacem', shortly after its first performance. It is a terrifically gripping performance with greater depth than any other (Bryden Thomson's is my favourite modern version).

Good to learn! This 1936 recording was already released in 2007 at a Somm cd, coupled with a performance of the Fifth Symphony, RVW conducting the BBC SO in the Royal Albert Hall during a Prom Concert in 1952.

I'm going to hear Dona Nobis Pacem live in January (heard performances of the piece twice before, even in a place called The Netherlands  ;)) in Nijmegen, Concertgebouw De Vereeniging - a concert hall that survived the 1944 bombing of the city, apparantly.

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on December 24, 2011, 11:54:56 PMNijmegen, Concertgebouw De Vereeniging - a concert hall that survived the 1944 bombing of the city, apparantly.

[OT: I had forgotten it, but I was there too, a few years ago, to attend a party conference... Have a splendid Christmas, everyone!]
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Jared

^^ it's good to see that our beloved RVW has a sound following over the water in the lovely Netherlands (always knew you lot were highly cultured..  ;D )

tell me, did Bernard Haitink record much of his music because he was already popular in the Neths, or has there been an increase in his popularity because BH championed his works 20 odd years ago?

Christo

Quote from: Jared on December 25, 2011, 02:39:07 AM
^^ it's good to see that our beloved RVW has a sound following over the water in the lovely Netherlands (always knew you lot were highly cultured..  ;D )

tell me, did Bernard Haitink record much of his music because he was already popular in the Neths, or has there been an increase in his popularity because BH championed his works 20 odd years ago?

Neither. RVW wasn't popular and isn't. His symphonies are almost never played anywhere here; except in amateur performances.  :(
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Jared

Quote from: Christo on December 25, 2011, 02:41:15 AM
Neither. RVW wasn't popular and isn't. His symphonies are almost never played anywhere here; except in amateur performances.  :(

oh dear... that's blown that theory out of the water then... and shown up my ignorance in the process..  :( :-[

Christo

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 25, 2011, 01:13:28 AM

[OT: I had forgotten it, but I was there too, a few years ago, to attend a party congress... Have a splendid Christmas, everyone!]

Not a bad venue for a party meeting; great choice actually! This concert hall is the `other one' in this part of the duchy I recently moved to, apart from Musis Sacrum in Arnhem (that I visited twice for a concert, so far). Enjoy your many or not-so-many Christmases, even if you still have to wait a while for your fair copy of Brabbins' Gothic ..  ::) ;)

Christo

Quote from: Jared on December 25, 2011, 02:59:36 AM
oh dear... that's blown that theory out of the water then... and shown up my ignorance in the process..  :( :-[

These parts of the North Sea shores go largely unnoticed.  ;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on December 25, 2011, 06:18:28 AM
Not a bad venue for a party meeting; great choice actually! This concert hall is the `other one' in this part of the duchy I recently moved to, apart from Musis Sacrum in Arnhem (that I visited twice for a concert, so far). Enjoy your many or not-so-many Christmases, even if you still have to wait a while for your fair copy of Brabbins' Gothic ..  ::) ;)

Yes, my suffering is limitless.  ;D Still, I have something to look forward to.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

BBC Music Magazine (January 2012) includes a cover CD which features Vaughan Williams wonderful 1936 performance of 'Dona Nobis Pacem' - in some ways I think that this is an even greater performance that his famous recording of his Fourth Symphony. The recording was made shortly after the composer conducted the first performance. It is the same recording, I think, as the one in Christo's message above.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 24, 2011, 03:18:40 PM
The cover CD with BBC Music Magazine for January 2012 includes Vaughan Williams conducting his 'Dona Nobis Pacem', shortly after its first performance. It is a terrifically gripping performance with greater depth than any other (Bryden Thomson's is my favourite modern version). The transfer is very good. This is a very rare example of Vaughan Williams conducting his own music.  I think that it is an even greater performance that his much admired recording of his Symphony No 4.

Quote from: vandermolen on December 31, 2011, 06:22:07 AM
BBC Music Magazine (January 2012) includes a cover CD which features Vaughan Williams wonderful 1936 performance of 'Dona Nobis Pacem' - in some ways I think that this is an even greater performance that his famous recording of his Fourth Symphony. The recording was made shortly after the composer conducted the first performance. It is the same recording, I think, as the one in Christo's message above.

We discussed this before. Didn't we?  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 31, 2011, 06:25:42 AM
We discussed this before. Didn't we?  ;)

Yes, my mind is just going - a bit like HAL the computer in 2001 A Space Odyssey - or maybe we are caught in a time warp. Anyway all the best for 2012 (or is it 2011?  8))

You'll enjoy the January concert - I was delighted to hear Dona Nobis Pacem live in London a couple of years ago.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 31, 2011, 06:28:30 AM
Yes, my mind is just going - a bit like HAL the computer in 2001 A Space Odyssey - or maybe we are caught in a time warp. Anyway all the best for 2012 (or is it 2011?  8))

You'll enjoy the January concert - I was delighted to hear Dona Nobis Pacem live in London a couple of years ago.

;) Many thanks. We'll enter 2012 an hour later than you. Hope you don't mind our fireworks during your well deserved sleep.  ;D Yes, I look forward to the concert. I heard Dona Nobis Pacem twice before, and always considered live performances more `convincing' than a recording, with this piece. Will report afterwards. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 31, 2011, 06:34:49 AM
;) Many thanks. We'll enter 2012 an hour later than you. Hope you don't mind our fireworks during your well deserved sleep.  ;D Yes, I look forward to the concert. I heard Dona Nobis Pacem twice before, and always considered live performances more `convincing' than a recording, with this piece. Will report afterwards. :)

Great - I shall look forward to hearing what you think. It is one of my favourite VW works.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on December 31, 2011, 06:34:49 AM

I am being remarkably stupid but since the Netherlands is an hour ahead of British Time surely you will enter 2012 an hour earlier rather than later ??? ???

Christo

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 31, 2011, 06:49:44 AM
I am being remarkably stupid but since the Netherlands is an hour ahead of British Time surely you will enter 2012 an hour earlier rather than later ??? ???

:o :'( I'm the type of Dutchman that will visit the beach in order to witness a sunrise over the North Sea.  ;D

Elgarian

No place is ever safe. I was snuffling around Europadisc, having decided to take advantage of their bargain offer on the Beghin Haydn solo keyboard box, hoping to find something promising that would push me up into the 'free postage' bracket. And I came across this box:

Apart from the Antartica, I know nothing of RVW's film music, so this box seemed worth a shot, particularly at this price, with a 40% reduction:

http://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/77230/Vaughan_Williams_-_Film_Music_%28Collectors_Edition%29.htm

Have I bought wisely?

vandermolen

Quote from: Elgarian on December 31, 2011, 07:55:20 AM
No place is ever safe. I was snuffling around Europadisc, having decided to take advantage of their bargain offer on the Beghin Haydn solo keyboard box, hoping to find something promisiong that would push me up into the 'free postage' bracket. And I came across this box:

Apart from the Antartica, I know nothing of RVW's film music, so this box seemed worth a shot, particularly at this price, with a 40% reduction:

http://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/77230/Vaughan_Williams_-_Film_Music_%28Collectors_Edition%29.htm

Have I bought wisely?

Oh yes - a great purchase! Also Chandos have included all three booklets from the single release CDs.The complete Scott of the Antarctic music is a highlight but so are 49th Parallel, Coastal Command, Joanna Godden and Dim Little Island has a fine arrangement of 5 Variants on Dives and Lazarus. You wont regret this purchase.

Elgarian

Quote from: vandermolen on December 31, 2011, 08:36:34 AM
You wont regret this purchase.

That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks.

vandermolen

Quote from: Elgarian on December 31, 2011, 12:35:58 PM
That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks.

My pleasure - let us know what you think. There was also a very good Marco Polo single CD of VW's film music, but the Chandos is much more comprehensive (you get a much fuller treatment of the atmospheric ' The England of Elizabeth'  for example). 'The Story of a Flemish Farm' is also very interesting. Look out for the influence of the 'Dead Man's Kit' Episode (track 6 of CD 3) with the Epilogue of Symphony No 6 - although the film music includes a beautiful lyrical theme. Nice photos of the great man too in the booklets.  I have always liked the 'Joanna Godden' music and was delighted when a new recording came out.