Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

In curious timing, mention was made in yestermorn's sermon of the Book of Job.

Earlier in the service, the minister invited the congregation to think of questions we would ask of God. Mine was, "What day was Beethoven born, really?'
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

I'm looking for an alternative String Quartet No.2.

I have the EMI cd (with Hugh Bean?) which I believe is a much older recording. I heard the Naxos samples.

I'm just wondering about that opening viola, when the chords come in. I just feel like I want a little more...mm... atmosphere? I thought the Naxos sounded just like the EMI.

That pretty much leaves the Medici on Nimbus (which has one very positive review on Amazon), and the Hyperion.

Anyone?

Lethevich

I have never thought about such a small detail as only the opening 30 secs or so, but as I hear:

The Nash has the most atmosphere in the recording, but there is also a rustic, slightly nasal quality which prioritises forward momentum, but with flexibility. The Maggini are somewhat clinical, the English Quartet (on Alto) are slightly more reticent, clouded, fragile - quite an 80s UK sound which was often because the ensembles of the time weren't quite assured enough - but this is no issue here. The latter may be what you are looking for, but no interp here is radically distinct from the others.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

snyprrr

Quote from: Lethevich on March 12, 2012, 07:07:58 AM
I have never thought about such a small detail as only the opening 30 secs or so, but as I hear:

The Nash has the most atmosphere in the recording, but there is also a rustic, slightly nasal quality which prioritises forward momentum, but with flexibility. The Maggini are somewhat clinical, the English Quartet (on Alto) are slightly more reticent, clouded, fragile - quite an 80s UK sound which was often because the ensembles of the time weren't quite assured enough - but this is no issue here. The latter may be what you are looking for, but no interp here is radically distinct from the others.

You make the Nash sound juicy! Both them and the Medici are pretty cheap. It's been quite a while since I sought out a 'second' of... anything!, but SQ 2 does have quite a visionary quality, especially in the slow movement,... I remember visiting castles in the UK (or was Denmark? :-\), sitting high on the hill on a windy summer's day,... just the kind of hyperion cover one loves! That the SQ 2.

Christo

Quote from: karlhenning on March 12, 2012, 05:31:31 AM
Earlier in the service, the minister invited the congregation to think of questions we would ask of God. Mine was, "What day was Beethoven born, really?'
:D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

And: Does Schroeder know?

Incidentally, and although it was not the ideal environment, I listened to the Hickox recording of Job yesterday, in the car. Love it . . . made a more powerful impression than my initial listen to the Handley, which does not necessarily reflect on Handley . . . my ears may just have been elsewhere that day.

EDIT :: gaffed the conductor, tchah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: Lethevich on March 12, 2012, 07:07:58 AM

I got the Medici (Nimbus), and, it's very special indeed! I really enjoyed their Saint'Saens, and this issue seems to solidify their  turn of the century credibility. (They also have a Haydn Op.64 on EMI)

Comparing with the Music Group of London (EMI; mid-'70s), the Medici start with a much more nuanced opening. Right after the opening solo, the entry of the rest is taken much smoother than the MGL. Generally, the Medici just have a very burnished and...mm.... it's just a very solid sound... just like I remember their Saint-Saens.

I do have to register some shock here at RVW's slow movement. As I was comparing the two, it dawned on me that this slow movement is the thickest, most... almost a grinding of keys.... can anyone clarify for me?,... there are so many harmonic twists here as to make the MGL seem to burst their intonation... the Medicis really navigate this section very well, but one can still sense the absolutely beyond-Reger WTF key torture. It just seems that the players struggle to express RVW's intentions.

I have always loved this slow movement, but I'm taken aback now by its utter thickness in the climaxes. The MGL really seem to struggle here, and the Medici do let you know that they are navigating hazardous waterways. Surely someone else has noticed this.

Now I'm very very keen to hear the Hyperion. I know that these Faure players will surely have something to say about these thick textures.

Anyhow, the Medici certainly have achieved something here, and are highly recommendable in this small field. I will have to try the Hyperion, though, to be absolutely sure!

btw- I used to have SQ 1 on the Britten Quartet EMI disc, and remember it wasn't what I wanted at the time, but now I find it revealed as a very nice Ravelian concoction. The 'Phantasy' Quintet is just a plain nice piece.

vandermolen

symphonies 4,5 and 6 are being performed in the same Prom concert this year.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2012, 08:54:13 AM
symphonies 4,5 and 6 are being performed in the same Prom concert this year.

Great news! When? (Wish I could be there, the Fifth is the only of these I ever heard live, but only by a (good) amateur orchestra. Would love to hear the Sixth especially!  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on April 20, 2012, 10:19:08 AM
Great news! When? (Wish I could be there, the Fifth is the only of these I ever heard live, but only by a (good) amateur orchestra. Would love to hear the Sixth especially!  :)

16th August (Thursday).  Would be great if you could make it over (especially as you were apparently 'sunbathing on a beach' when the Gothic Symphony was performed last year  :o) - time to book up your ticket on the Stenna Hollandica.  :D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2012, 12:02:36 PM
16th August (Thursday).  Would be great if you could make it over (especially as you were apparently 'sunbathing on a beach' when the Gothic Symphony was performed last year  :o) - time to book up your ticket on the Stenna Hollandica.  :D

I wasn't "sunbathing", I was, heroïcally, crossing the Alps that very day.  :o With my elephant (Volvo). And made it al the way to Tuscany, not a place for sunbathing either.  >:D  ;)

I did pay a visit to the Royal Albert Hall in advance, during a short stay in London in May, just to sniff the atmosphere and get an idea of what all true Brianites went through, last July.  8) This Summer, I plan to stay in Turkey for three weeks, but I'll be back in time. Perhaps, perhaps ...  ::) Keep us informed!

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on April 20, 2012, 12:51:05 PM
I wasn't "sunbathing", I was, heroïcally, crossing the Alps that very day.  :o With my elephant (Volvo). And made it al the way to Tuscany, not a place for sunbathing either.  >:D  ;)

I did pay a visit to the Royal Albert Hall in advance, during a short stay in London in May, just to sniff the atmosphere and get an idea of what all true Brianites went through, last July.  8) This Summer, I plan to stay in Turkey for three weeks, but I'll be back in time. Perhaps, perhaps ...  ::) Keep us informed!

OK - will do.  :)

Dundonnell

Well, I have already had the experience of attending the BBC Scottish SO performances of the 4th, 5th and 6th conducted by Andrew Manze....but in two concerts rather than the single one.

Manze's 6th last month was a bit of a curate's egg (good in parts), his 4th was magnificent (actually the third time, I think, that I have head a live performance in the last three years; Oundjian with the RSNO was one of the others), his 5th was good apart from a tendency to wallow in the slow movement and scherzo. THe BBC Scottish SO is a very fine orchestra, as will be clear from their recordings, with magnificent woodwind and brass, and, I am told by their former MD, have a tradition of doing the 5th well. Manze clearly adores RVW and it will be a great Proms Concert. It is so welcome that Roger Wright-who loves British music-is getting it into the Proms these days.

Every time I hear the 4th I am struck again by what a revolutionary work it must have seemed in the context of the British music of its time when so much else was still in thrall to the influence of Elgar. I can think of little like it in British music of the early 1930s.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 09, 2012, 04:43:47 AM
Very seldom eat the stuff myself ;D Contrary to ridiculous rumour and stereotyping it is by no means all that popular in Scotland.
And we don't just eat leeks,welsh rarebit,cawl & lava bread;although they are very popular here & love all four of them! :)
  I remember as a youngster,the Dandy & Beano comics used to potray haggis as running around on legs & Scotsman as huge & always carrying large cabers!
Now where's my harp?!!! ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 21, 2012, 06:55:42 AM
And we don't just eat leeks,welsh rarebit,cawl & lava bread;although they are very popular here & love all four of them! :)
  I remember as a youngster,the Dandy & Beano comics used to potray haggis as running around on legs & Scotsman as huge & always carrying large cabers!
Now where's my harp?!!! ;D

Very seldom eat haggis (and not for choice), never worn a kilt, never tossed a caber (which is what you do with them-they are far too heavy to carry ;D), don't read Robert Burns poetry, don't much like the sound of bagpipes, and hate west of Scotland comedy (which the BBC thinks is all that comes out of Scotland).

kishnevi

Quote from: Dundonnell on April 21, 2012, 07:53:24 AM
Very seldom eat haggis (and not for choice), never worn a kilt, never tossed a caber (which is what you do with them-they are far too heavy to carry ;D), don't read Robert Burns poetry, don't much like the sound of bagpipes, and hate west of Scotland comedy (which the BBC thinks is all that comes out of Scotland).

And if I remember correctly,  you're not a whisky drinker, correct?  Are you sure you're a Scot?

While it's true that I've never done any of those things (other than drink the whisky),  I can at least point to the fact that I've been in Scotland for exactly five days (and two of them not full days) on one of those package tours of Britain where you see all the highlights in twelve days and not much of anything else (and sometimes not much of the highlights--Glasgow, for instance, was limited to afternoon rush hour traffic and running through Kelvingrove Museum just before closing time before heading off to our hotel)--what I call the "If you look closely, you'll see Stonehenge on the left" type of tour.

So I have a reason not to have tossed cabers and wear kilts...

xochitl

so ive been getting into V-W after hearing the 3rd symphony.  made a tremendous impression on me.  so far ive heard the string quartets and quintet, symphony #4,  and lark ascending

good stuff