Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 03, 2016, 06:30:23 AM
That is a great 2-CD set, Jeffrey. Boult was such a master in RVW. Boult's last recording of Job is still one that is very special to me and I've held dear the memory of this unforgettable listening experience.
Thanks John  :)
I have four ( ::)) CD versions of Boult conducting Job on Everest,Decca and two on EMI (now Warner) including your favourite version. Come to think of it I have a fifth version on Intaglio of a live concert I attended on 12th October 1972 on Vaughan Williams's 100th birthday in London, which was the first time I heard the work - I was still at school (meaning 'High School' I think as I have a feeling that in the USA 'school' can mean university which is not the case here). Anyway, I was 17 at the time and in my wide-eyed earliest enthusiasm for the music of Vaughan Williams. Following the concert I rushed out to buy the LP of the work on EMI - your favourite version. Yes, it is a marvellous work and indicative of some of the stormy works to follow.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2016, 08:20:44 AM
Thanks John  :)
I have four ( ::)) CD versions of Boult conducting Job on Everest,Decca and two on EMI (now Warner) including your favourite version. Come to think of it I have a fifth version on Intaglio of a live concert I attended on 12th October 1972 on Vaughan Williams's 100th birthday in London, which was the first time I heard the work - I was still at school (meaning 'High School' I think as I have a feeling that in the USA 'school' can mean university which is not the case here). Anyway, I was 17 at the time and in my wide-eyed earliest enthusiasm for the music of Vaughan Williams. Following the concert I rushed out to buy the LP of the work on EMI - your favourite version. Yes, it is a marvellous work and indicative of some of the stormy works to follow.

Very nice, Jeffrey. I believe I just own three of Boult's Job performances: Decca, Everest, and the later EMI one. It sure is a wonderful work indeed. Do you have a favorite performance of Job?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 03, 2016, 09:36:39 AM
Very nice, Jeffrey. I believe I just own three of Boult's Job performances: Decca, Everest, and the later EMI one. It sure is a wonderful work indeed. Do you have a favorite performance of Job?
The version you like is as good as any. I also like the Decca and Everest Boult versions. Boult was the dedicatee of Job which was probably why he recorded it so many times but I do think that his recordings have a unique authority and insight. I like the version coupled with the two piano version of the Piano Concerto (Vronsky and Babin) which is my favourite version of that work also:
[asin]B00002DDY9[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2016, 10:53:07 AM
The version you like is as good as any. I also like the Decca and Everest Boult versions. Boult was the dedicatee of Job which was probably why he recorded it so many times but I do think that his recordings have a unique authority and insight. I like the version coupled with the two piano version of the Piano Concerto (Vronsky and Babin) which is my favourite version of that work also:
[asin]B00002DDY9[/asin]

I agree with every word. :)

aukhawk

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2016, 08:20:44 AM
Following the concert I rushed out to buy the LP of the work on EMI - your favourite version. Yes, it is a marvellous work and indicative of some of the stormy works to follow.

And an absolute demonstration-quality recording, at that time.  I was a young sound engineer and my colleagues and I were completely blown away when we played this LP - the biggest dynamic I've ever heard on vinyl.

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on April 06, 2016, 09:41:13 AM
And an absolute demonstration-quality recording, at that time.  I was a young sound engineer and my colleagues and I were completely blown away when we played this LP - the biggest dynamic I've ever heard on vinyl.
That's really interesting. Even as a 17 year old listening on relatively Lo-Fi equipment I recognised how good the recording quality was and how much depth there was to it. Perhaps they'll reissue it on vinyl!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 03, 2016, 12:20:57 PM
I agree with every word. :)
Forgot to mention John that this excellent, inexpensive 13 CD Boult Vaughan Williams set includes two versions of 'Job' - the version that you have from 1970, Boult's last recording of the work (fortunately still coupled with the Vronsky/Babin version of the Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra) and also the gramophone premiere recording with the BBC SO from 1946. Both are excellent as you would expect:
[asin]B00B2GYJ3U[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2016, 09:32:40 AM
Forgot to mention John that this excellent, inexpensive 13 CD Boult Vaughan Williams set includes two versions of 'Job' - the version that you have from 1970, Boult's last recording of the work (fortunately still coupled with the Vronsky/Babin version of the Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra) and also the gramophone premiere recording with the BBC SO from 1946. Both are excellent as you would expect:
[asin]B00B2GYJ3U[/asin]

Yeah, Jeffrey. That's the set I own. 8) A great set. Actually, to be even more technical, I have two Boult RVW sets on EMI (gave the older blue one to my dad). Great stuff!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 09, 2016, 06:47:31 PM
Yeah, Jeffrey. That's the set I own. 8) A great set. Actually, to be even more technical, I have two Boult RVW sets on EMI (gave the older blue one to my dad). Great stuff!
Oh, I see - that's a great set and an inexpensive way of collecting all Boult's EMI VW recordings. You would also enjoy the Everest and Decca versions of 'Job' too conducted by Boult. What do you think of the premiere recording featured in the box John?

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2016, 11:22:37 PM
Oh, I see - that's a great set and an inexpensive way of collecting all Boult's EMI VW recordings. You would also enjoy the Everest and Decca versions of 'Job' too conducted by Boult. What do you think of the premiere recording featured in the box John?

Honestly, Jeffrey, I haven't even listened to it as I'm not a fan of historical recordings with antique sound. I know some people overlook tape hiss and so forth, but if there's an abundance of it, which there is in a lot of these types of recordings, then the noise is more of a distraction.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 10, 2016, 05:43:45 AM
Honestly, Jeffrey, I haven't even listened to it as I'm not a fan of historical recordings with antique sound. I know some people overlook tape hiss and so forth, but if there's an abundance of it, which there is in a lot of these types of recordings, then the noise is more of a distraction.
Fair enough John. As a rule I rather like historical recordings, for the sense of atmosphere but my job has largely involved teaching History so maybe that has something to do with it. I would not want to be without Beecham's famous old Sibelus Symphony 4 or Boult's early Decca Vaughan Williams Symphony 6 for example, Mravinsky's 1930s recording of Shostakovich's Symphony 5 or Koussevitsky's recording of Howard Hanson's Symphony 3.

Karl Henning

The original version of the Serenade to Music is worthy on its own merits. Additionally, just a blast (in a lit-nerdly way) to hear a musical setting of fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

vandermolen

Although I listen a lot to the 'heavy' doom-laden symphonies like 6 and 9 I have to say that the CD of VW songs I picked up on Amazon UK for under £1.00 is currently one of my favourite Vaughan Williams's CDs and very moving. The very slow rendition of 'Clun' from 'On Wenlock Edge' has moved me more than any other recording - it is an intensely poetic and heartfelt performance and much can be said for the rest of the disc. If the picture doesn't come out I'lll post a link:
[asin]B00002644V[/asin]

mjwal

Quote from: vandermolen on May 19, 2016, 01:01:44 AM
Although I listen a lot to the 'heavy' doom-laden symphonies like 6 and 9 I have to say that the CD of VW songs I picked up on Amazon UK for under £1.00 is currently one of my favourite Vaughan Williams's CDs and very moving. The very slow rendition of 'Clun' from 'On Wenlock Edge' has moved me more than any other recording - it is an intensely poetic and heartfelt performance and much can be said for the rest of the disc. If the picture doesn't come out I'lll post a link:
[asin]B00002644V[/asin]

Thanks for that tip, Vandermolen: I blow hot and lukewarm about V-W's symphonies etc but have always loved 'On Wenlock Edge' unreservedly - as I enjoy Rolfe-Johnson's singing as a rule, this was a no-brainer for me and like you I have ordered it from amazon.uk for less than a quid. - As a V-W aficionado, what do you say about the recent Elder/Hallé recording of the 'Sea Symphony'? And which version of the 'Serenade to Music' do you recommend? Boult or Best?
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Christo

Quote from: mjwal on May 22, 2016, 04:42:52 AMwhich version of the 'Serenade to Music' do you recommend?

Haha. The Serenade to Music is about the only RVW composition Vandermolen happens to dislike - as revealed earlier in this thread.  :D My own recommendation would be: the Best,  on Hyperion.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: mjwal on May 22, 2016, 04:42:52 AM
Thanks for that tip, Vandermolen: I blow hot and lukewarm about V-W's symphonies etc but have always loved 'On Wenlock Edge' unreservedly - as I enjoy Rolfe-Johnson's singing as a rule, this was a no-brainer for me and like you I have ordered it from amazon.uk for less than a quid. - As a V-W aficionado, what do you say about the recent Elder/Hallé recording of the 'Sea Symphony'? And which version of the 'Serenade to Music' do you recommend? Boult or Best?
I'm sure you'll enjoy that VW disc of songs - it is lovely and fantastic value for under £1.00. Let us know what you think. I only have the Elder version of 'A Pastoral Symphony' which is a wonderful performance - one of the best ever I think along with Previn's RCA recording. Christo is quite right in that I don't like the 'Serenade to Music' and actually I prefer the version without the singing better! (I seem to recall that Christo took a dim view of this  8)). I would go with his advice a get the Matthew Best version on Hyperion.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on May 22, 2016, 05:03:09 AM
Haha. The Serenade to Music is about the only RVW composition Vandermolen happens to dislike - as revealed earlier in this thread.  :D My own recommendation would be: the Best,  on Hyperion.
I don't like 'The Wasps' either.  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2016, 06:28:09 AM
I don't like 'The Wasps' either.  8)

I like the Wasps Suite but pretty much have nothing but disdain for the full work (via an Elder/Halle recording).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2016, 04:47:47 PM
I like the Wasps Suite but pretty much have nothing but disdain for the full work (via an Elder/Halle recording).
I don't like the overture - the suite has its moments. 'The March Past of the Kitchen Utensils' is a bit like a poor man's 'Sorcerer's Apprentice'.