The Cat Thread

Started by mahler10th, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 05, 2024, 04:26:36 PMFazi and Zeus are still best friends--and getting bigger all the time (they are 8 and 7 months old, respectively). Still a bit rambunctious, too, but it's getting better. They are as adorable and sweet as can be, but I still desperately miss Lucy and Ethel.

Please remind me, which one is which?

And sweet to see them snuggled up together.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Bachtoven

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 06, 2024, 01:32:59 PMPlease remind me, which one is which?

And sweet to see them snuggled up together.  :)

PD
Zeus is on the left--the tuxedo kitty.
Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

drogulus

Kony is scared of people.

Also, Kona has his fathers eyes.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on May 07, 2024, 09:56:25 AMKony is scared of people.

Well, I don't know how many people were there, but from my experience, cats tend to hide away when there's a lot of people/noise/commotion.  Every cat is different in terms of how comfortable it feels around folks--particularly strangers.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

There's something maybe just a little obscene about this.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

The new downstairs neighbors have a cat, who (perched at the bottom of a front window) just gave me the feline eye.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 15, 2024, 03:47:55 PMThe new downstairs neighbors have a cat, who (perched at the bottom of a front window) just gave me the feline eye.
8) Smile back and slowly blink your eyes a few times (after saying a kind, gentle and friendly hello.  Talk to it a bit.).  See how the cat reacts.  Does it blink back?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2024, 04:08:16 PM8) Smile back and slowly blink your eyes a few times (after saying a kind, gentle and friendly hello.  Talk to it a bit.).  See how the cat reacts.  Does it blink back?

PD
I did address the cat, it remained inscrutable. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 15, 2024, 04:14:28 PMI did address the cat, it remained inscrutable.
Give it some time.  And don't give up.  Keep talking to it in a friendly way and try the blinks--seriously.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2024, 04:25:23 PMGive it some time.  And don't give up.  Keep talking to it in a friendly way and try the blinks--seriously.

PD
Remember, too, that the cat is trying to adjust to its new surroundings--which can be very hard for them as from what I've read over the years is that they're very territorial.  Like anyone, change can be awkward/hard as in it's still trying to figure things out--let alone new persons and/or animals.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2024, 04:52:46 PMRemember, too, that the cat is trying to adjust to its new surroundings--which can be very hard for them as from what I've read over the years is that they're very territorial.  Like anyone, change can be awkward/hard as in it's still trying to figure things out--let alone new persons and/or animals.

PD

Edit:  It might also have new "owners"...another source of stress.  And I hope that you and your new neighbors get along well.  :)  8) And one other tip.  If/when you do meet the cat, don't try and pat it on the head.  Let it smell you (as in like a fist gently extended forward for the cat to sniff), see how it reacts and then  possibly try a scratch under the chin and see how it goes.  Go slow.  Don't rush things.
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Found on the Internetz
[This may not be quite comprehensible to non-USAians not familiar with how American attorneys advertise.]
750CFAC4-B257-4D42-9BC3-C9A1D698B357.jpg

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk