What are you doing?

Started by Mark, July 16, 2007, 03:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriptavolant

I've been splitting mp3 files for a couple of hours, including a 1h30m file of Schnabel's recording of the late Beethoven Sonatas.
Gratifying activity.

Bonehelm

Sitting on my bed, staring at my Wand Bruckner 4th set in awe...the organ-like brass chorales are still ringing in my ears...

Mozart

There is a baby outside, crying and laughing at the same time.

Mark

Writing deathly dull ads for London borough councils ...

Mozart

Quote from: Mark on July 18, 2007, 02:34:02 AM
Writing deathly dull ads for London borough councils ...

ads? I don't understand?

Bonehelm

Watching Jet Li's Fearless on my Sony 42'' LCD HDTV...

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Mark on July 16, 2007, 04:15:32 PM
Nice. :) As is the avatar.

I'm now uploading (to MediaFire, many will be pleased to hear) the eight files mentioned in my OP. Give it an hour, and those who didn't experience the opening of this year's BBC Proms will be able to do so. Well, you'll be able to hear the music without the presenters' chit-chat and the HORRENDOUS coughing between movements/performances (all edited out, as many others will be pleased to hear ;)).

Sorry, I haven't been following properly, Mark. This is the BBC TV coverage you have, yes? And you've edited out all except the music, yes?

If this is so, do you by any chance have the non-music parts still hanging around? I only ask because I didn't see it, and apparently my friend and ex-housemate Huw Watkins (composer/pianist - he had something commissioned and played at the 2005 Proms, actually - and, more to the point, brother of the maligned Paul!) was on at some point.

Mark

Quote from: lukeottevanger on July 18, 2007, 02:53:54 AM
Sorry, I haven't been following properly, Mark. This is the BBC TV coverage you have, yes? And you've edited out all except the music, yes?

If this is so, do you by any chance have the non-music parts still hanging around? I only ask because I didn't see it, and apparently my friend and ex-housemate Huw Watkins (composer/pianist - he had something commissioned and played at the 2005 Proms, actually - and, more to the point, brother of the maligned Paul!) was on at some point.

I have the entire broadcast - picture and sound - as a large mpeg2 file. I'll upload it at some point for you. :)

EDIT: Er ... on second thoughts, it's nearly 4Gb! And when I tried burning this to a standard DVD-R, it wouldn't fit without transcoding, which suggests to me that the filesize is misreporting and is actually much bigger. :(

Mark

Just finished clearing five email inboxes of months of spam. >:(

Mark

Oh, and while doing the above, I was pondering why most compositions by Delius that I've heard seem to meander so much. I often find myself thinking, when listening to works by him, 'Get to the bloody point!'. ;D

Bogey

About to do some weeding in our rock garden and refill all our bird feeders (I believe we have around 10) while the Mozart-Morning continues.  Life is definitely good.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

PerfectWagnerite

Boxing up some of my prized CDs at work. They say there's going to be a big layoff coming next month. In case I get the pink slip I can get out of here quickly.

Mark

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on July 19, 2007, 07:58:32 AM
Boxing up some of my prized CDs at work. They say there's going to be a big layoff coming next month. In case I get the pink slip I can get out of here quickly.

That sucks. :( Do you have any options lined up in case it's you?

Bogey

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on July 19, 2007, 07:58:32 AM

Sorry to hear that PW....hope things work out for you.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Bogey on July 19, 2007, 08:02:14 AM
Sorry to hear that PW....hope things work out for you.
Thanks. It's not the end of the world. But I am not one of those that like change. Considering this is the only job I have ever had it'd be a change working somwhere else.

Quote from: Mark on July 19, 2007, 08:00:46 AM
That sucks. :( Do you have any options lined up in case it's you?
Not really, other than look for another job. My wife says we have enough money for a year or so. Together with unemployement and severance package I think we are good for about 18 months. I think I need to retrain somehow. I am an electrical engineer but really only know analog. Everywhere you look nowadays they want digital engineers.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Bonehelm on July 17, 2007, 09:28:49 PM
Sitting on my bed, staring at my Wand Bruckner 4th set in awe...the organ-like brass chorales are still ringing in my ears...

WHich one? The BPO version here?

orbital

Kullervo

Quote from: orbital on July 19, 2007, 08:44:12 AM
Air?

Imported air... I think you're onto something here. We could advertise that it comes from only the purest areas of the French Alps, and that it's further purified through reverse osmosis (nobody really knows what it means, anyway) — the yuppies will go gonzo!

I am playing FreCol, a free, open-source clone of the old Colonization game. It has a few bugs, but it is improving all the time.

orbital

Be careful what you wish for, it may just come true. In Bermuda you can buy a bottle of their pink sand for $10. (Alternatively you can buy a bottle of water for a dollar, hydrate yourself, take the bus to the beach for $2 and fill the empty bottle)

And don't forget Pet Rock  ;D

greg

searching for Japanese pen pals on My Language Exchange!

ohhhhhhhhhh heck yeah  8)