Francisco Penalosa is incredible

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, November 24, 2019, 02:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

I have two albums of Penalosa, one by Pro cantione Antiqua for the motets and one more from New York Polyphony.

Penalosa was a composer pre-Cristobal de Morales and Francisco Guerrero, one of the most interesting composers around.

Not the most notorious, If fact I wonder how much available works for this composer in albums. He super great composer to be discovered.

Mandryka

The Bruno Turner recording is a great favourite of mine. I expect that New York Polyphony are very seductive, I have liked most of what I've heard from them.

This has one Penalosa thing, a sacred motet, over 5 mins and is very nicely done in typical Hilliard style

Dominique Vellard has recorded a lot of Penalosa, with Ensemble Giles Binchois and with Ensemble Cantus Figuratus. It's many years since I listened to any of it. 

And you may, or you may not, like what Gothic Voices do here, there are half a dozen Penalosa numbers

And I've just discovered this, which I'll play latee today if I can, I like what they do with Compère.

Ditto for this, I liked what they did with Josquin

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on November 24, 2019, 08:50:13 PM
Ditto for this, I liked what they did with Josquin

This turns out to be absolutely fabulous, wonderful sound too, with a great sense of hall captured by the engineers, at least that's how it comes across on my biggest best system. I feel very enthusiastic about this one.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen