The Corelli (1653-1713) Corral

Started by Pat B, July 25, 2013, 12:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat B

No thread yet on Arcangelo Corelli? Well, there is now. It even has an alliterative title!

I don't have much biographical information beyond what's on wikipedia. I'll add that he reputedly helped popularized unison bowing -- though I have since heard the same thing about Lully who was a bit older.

I have op. 6 by I Musici and Philharmonia Baroque/McGegan, plus the half that Tafelmusik recorded for DHM. One of the dangers with this set is that the different pieces can sound awfully similar. To me that is a real problem with I Musici. Also, despite some referring to I Musici as HIP, they sound rather lush to me. McGegan seems more successful in differentiating the pieces, but he takes No. 8's famous Pastorale very fast.

I also have the "La Folia and other Sonatas" disc by the Purcell Quartet. That has Catherine Mackintosh and Elizabeth Wallfisch on violin, who were big names on the period-instrument scene in the 80s. I need to pull it out for a listen.

SonicMan46

Hi Pat - YES, an Arcangelo Corelli (1653-1713) thread is well deserved! :)  In fact, if you check our Composer's Index, a lot of Italians are 'missing in action' - SO, you've added an important one -  I think most famous for his Op. 6 Concerto Grossi which are well recorded w/ plenty of excellent offerings, i.e. a good start!

For myself, I own quite a bit - will just 'show & tell' for those who may be just getting interested in this composer - NOW, for a 'one place shopping' selection, the 10 CD set on Brilliant w/ Pieter-Jan Belder pretty much covers the guy!  Now a couple of Hyperion Dyads of the Op. 5 & Op. 6 works are recommended (if still available?); another more recent Op. 6 offering is w/ the Avison Ensemble (love them); and finally, some Op, 5 (last half of 12) 'transcriptions' w/ recorder & harpsichord - Stefan Temmingh on recorder superb (YES, goofy face!) - Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 25, 2013, 08:40:01 PM
Hi Pat - YES, an Arcangelo Corelli (1653-1713) thread is well deserved! :)  In fact, if you check our Composer's Index, a lot of Italians are 'missing in action' - SO, you've added an important one -  I think most famous for his Op. 6 Concerto Grossi which are well recorded w/ plenty of excellent offerings, i.e. a good start!
Yes, those are the only pieces I have of his - the Op. 6. While I wasn't so crazy with this group's performance of Locatelli, I really enjoy their Corelli! I should mention that they use modern instruments.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Pat B

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, there are lots of choices for op. 6. Others I'm aware of are led by Pinnock, Kuijken, and Marriner. I bought McGegan having heard several of them on my local station. I'm completely satisfied by it, with the caveat of that speedy Pastorale.

I listened to that Purcell Quartet disc of sonatas. It's okay, but anybody who doesn't like the '80s style of HIP should steer clear. I think I'll keep an eye out for newer recording(s) of sonatas -- there now seems to be a decent selection for op. 5, at least.

neoshredder

Big fan of Corelli. Here are the recordings I own.

DavidW

Welcome Neoshredder.  I've heard both of those recordings, pretty darned good.

neoshredder

Quote from: DavidW on August 16, 2013, 02:36:33 PM
Welcome Neoshredder.  I've heard both of those recordings, pretty darned good.
Thanks. Glad someone also enjoys Corelli. :) Do you have a preference for his first 4 opuses? A favorite recording?

DavidW

Quote from: neoshredder on August 16, 2013, 09:34:42 PM
Thanks. Glad someone also enjoys Corelli. :) Do you have a preference for his first 4 opuses? A favorite recording?

Oh the Trio Sonatas?  I haven't heard them, you've posted the extent of my Corelli listening!

SonicMan46

Quote from: neoshredder on August 16, 2013, 09:34:42 PM

Well, for those who like 'one stop shopping', the Brilliant box shown in my post above w/ Belder & his period instrument group is hard to top, i.e. about $30 on the Amazon MP (i.e. $3 a disc) - plus, 9 5* reviews there - Dave :)

Karl Henning

When I've been wrong, I hope I am always man enough to admit it. Thanks to the Avison Ensemble recording of the Opus 6 Concerti grossi, I now appreciate Corelli's greatness.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Is there any love here for Arcangelo Corelli? I picked up a really good CD over the weekend:

I am really impressed with these concerti. They sound quite modern for their time, don't they? Very intricately crafted. I'm reminded, obviously, with Vivaldi, but it's a completely different spirit. Almost more in the tradition of what Bach would do several decades later with his own concerti.

I would like to hear his violin sonatas next.

aukhawk

Corelli was incredibly influential - partly due to an accident of time, he pre-dated Vivaldi and the "class of '85" by a generation - partly due to an accident of fashion, whereby everyone of a certain musical generation looked towards Italy - and partly of course due to his own talent as a composer, innovator and soloist.

This release offers something a bit different:

Corelli, 4 Concerti Grossi Op.6 and one Sonata : New Dutch Academy, Simon Murphy

It's HIP but with an unexpectedly big and lush sounding orchestra.  Alright in small doses.
It's justified in the sleevenotes, where it is suggested that Corelli was not a man who would have understood the expression "less is more":
"Corelli liked his continuo large. We have mirrored this here with a large and varied continuo section for plenty of bass and groove, as Corelli would have liked it."

Jo498

Corelli was extremely influential. Probably even more with the 4 sets of Trio sonatas opp.1-4 that appeared beginning from 1681 onwards. He gave the high/late baroque trio sonata and concerto grosso their "classic forms" and many composers took them as their point of departure. However, the Vivaldi solo concerto is actually a new development somewhat later. The solo concerto became even more popular for a while although Corellis works received plenty of reprints even late in the 18th century when Vivaldi was already forgotten. I'd guess that especially the sonatas were also better for domestic music making.
I have the complete Brilliant box, another op.6 (harmonia mundi with Bianchini, I think), Manze in op.5, Enrico Gatti and his ensemble in op.3 (Arcana) and an older Tactus anthology (unfortunately one of my handful of "bronzed discs") and probably another Xmas concerto and Folia-Variations or two.
Admittedly, I don't much listen to Corelli these days. ;) He is one of the composers I rather respect than admire or love. Although the Folia-Variations (violin sonata op.5:12 are definitely a fun piece.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal