Paul Creston (1906-1985)

Started by kyjo, July 27, 2013, 12:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: deprofundis on March 27, 2020, 11:30:25 AM
I'm a fan of Paul Creston, I only have his 3 first symphony on NAXOS yet I  really dig it and will probably buy the fifth symphony once again on the same label.
Great American classical composer.
Do you know Symphony No.2 - his greatest I think?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

This review of the Naxos CD of symphonies 1-3 might be of interest to Creston's admirers or others, complete with David Wright's characteristically opinionated statement at the end:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/june00/creston.htm
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 07, 2020, 09:49:30 PM
This review of the Naxos CD of symphonies 1-3 might be of interest to Creston's admirers or others, complete with David Wright's characteristically opinionated statement at the end:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/june00/creston.htm

I always get a good laugh out of David Wright's overtly opinionated and extreme reviews, even if I agree with them! ;D His attacks on Rob Barnett's reviews are quite childish, to say the least. ::)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on June 08, 2020, 11:02:03 AM
I always get a good laugh out of David Wright's overtly opinionated and extreme reviews, even if I agree with them! ;D His attacks on Rob Barnett's reviews are quite childish, to say the least. ::)
Yes, I agree. He's really got it in for Barbirolli as well!