The Failure To Recognize Mr. Carter

Started by Homo Aestheticus, May 30, 2009, 08:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Elliott Carter Conundrum: Do You Struggle To Understand ?

I dislike what I've heard but I'm holding out hope that I will come to love it some day.
4 (13.8%)
After having listened to a number of his major works, I still fail to see the aesthetic value in his music.
5 (17.2%)
The above does not apply to me because I adore his music.
17 (58.6%)
I find his music repellent for the most part.
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Karl Henning

Excellent. And good morrow, Cato!

It is high time I revisited the quartets, incidentally . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Fëanor

Quote from: Cato on July 22, 2013, 03:52:43 AM
An essay by Daniel Barenboim around Carter's 100th birthday:

http://www.danielbarenboim.com/journal/elliott-carter.html

And further, I would point out this remark ...

Quote from: Barenboim re. Elliott CarterFor me personally, Elliott Carter is also one of the most important composers of the 20th and 21st centuries because he represents substance. He is living proof of uncompromising, complex music, and is for this reason at first glance inaccessible. When one delves into the music and sees its development, it becomes more accessible. I believe this is Carter's great lesson: to always concentrate uncompromisingly on the musical substance, and not to try to incorporate popular elements like so many composers today.

snyprrr

Quote from: sanantonio on July 22, 2013, 07:57:04 AM

Well said. 

I find Carter's music to be very rewarding.  This recording was new to me until yesterday - but it has become one of my favorites:

Carter: Clarinet Concerto, Triple Duo, Enchanted Preludes, Con leggerezza pensosa, Gra, Riconoscenza per Goffredo Petrassi, 90+, Esprit rude/Esprit doux I and II.

That one, and the one on Montaigne. Similar, but equally interesting.

pencils

Well, having read this thread and come home with the Arditti SQs last week,  I finally got around to listening this evening. I was expecting them to be dense and inaccessible, and somewhat of a chore.

How wrong was I? Truth is, they are no more complex or challenging than the Holmboe cycle I've been enjoying in the last few days. They will, of course, take time to digest but that's true of all new music.

Yeah. Positive experience. 1 and 2 so far, seemed most engaging.

Fëanor

Quote from: pencils on July 29, 2013, 03:31:01 PM
Well, having read this thread and come home with the Arditti SQs last week,  I finally got around to listening this evening. I was expecting them to be dense and inaccessible, and somewhat of a chore.

How wrong was I? Truth is, they are no more complex or challenging than the Holmboe cycle I've been enjoying in the last few days. They will, of course, take time to digest but that's true of all new music.

Yeah. Positive experience. 1 and 2 so far, seemed most engaging.

The Arditti set doesn't include the 5th SQ, I think??  Unless they have a new set??

Karl Henning

Quote from: pencils on July 29, 2013, 03:31:01 PM

I think that's fair, distinct as their two voices are.

Quote from: pencils on July 29, 2013, 03:31:01 PMYeah. Positive experience. 1 and 2 so far, seemed most engaging.

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

pencils

Quote from: Fëanor on July 30, 2013, 04:10:45 AM
The Arditti set doesn't include the 5th SQ, I think??  Unless they have a new set??

1-4, plus the Elegy.