László Lajtha (1892-1963), the greatest Hungarian symphonist

Started by kyjo, August 01, 2013, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on June 03, 2019, 03:49:18 AM
After listening to some previews, I've decided to take the plunge and order my first Lajtha disc, Symphonies Nos. 8 & 9. The music sounds right up my street, and my curiosity is also piqued by Lajtha's inclusion of saxophone in several of the symphonies.
I don't think that you will regret it. I like his Symphony 2 (Marco Polo) in particular.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Lajtha looks like a great composer. The CD with his string tríos is a real beauty, above all Transylvanian Nights. Absolutely awe-inspiring!

Mirror Image

The problem I've run into with Lajtha and, bear in mind that's my problem, is that I don't really hear a composer with a distinctive persona of his own in the music. Granted, I've only heard a few works (I think one or two of the symphonies), but are there any works that you guys would recommend that have this composer's individual stamp on them?

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2019, 11:52:11 AM
The problem I've run into with Lajtha and, bear in mind that's my problem, is that I don't really hear a composer with a distinctive persona of his own in the music. Granted, I've only heard a few works (I think one or two of the symphonies), but are there any works that you guys would recommend that have this composer's individual stamp on them?

Not sure about individual stamp in many of his works (I haven't heard many works by him either), but certainly the String Trio Transylvanian Nights sounds quite singular and different from other works I know. I don't know whether you have any idea or thoughts of it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on June 03, 2019, 12:50:36 PM
Not sure about individual stamp in many of his works (I haven't heard many works by him either), but certainly the String Trio Transylvanian Nights sounds quite singular and different from other works I know. I don't know whether you have any idea or thoughts of it.

I haven't heard any of those string trios you mentioned. In fact, I've heard none of his chamber music.

Jo498

I have two Volumes of the Marco Polo (now Naxos) series, 1 and 5 that comprise 3 symphonies, 2 suites and fillers. Also one disc of string quartets (there is a complete set? on hungaroton but I only have one disc) and one with flute chamber music.
From these pieces I think that Mirror Image is not wrong. Lajtha's music is a mix of several 20th century elements (like many other composers), for instance it does have a strong impressionist/Ravellian aspect, I think. It is not as distinctively Hungarian as e.g. Kodaly's. This does not mean that it isn't worth while, in fact, I'd say that Lajtha is clearly underrated compared to e.g. Kodaly or Martinu.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Maestro267

I'm only on the first movement of No. 8, and I'm utterly entranced already. The most remarkable orchestration I've come across since I discovered Ginastera's work a few years ago. The much-divided string tremolos, the deployment of light percussion. This first movement is almost scherzo-like in mood, very light-of-foot. Like we're floating across the landscape.

SymphonicAddict

I'm becoming a fan of this composer. I'm listening to his symphonies in order of composition. 1 & 2 today. Great, great stuff! The No. 1 is in a neorromantic style, there are suggestive harmonies and magical atmospheres. The No. 2 sounds more menacing, like foreshadowing the turbulent times to come (composed in 1938). I hope to be enthralled by the next ones.

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on June 10, 2019, 11:49:27 AM
I'm becoming a fan of this composer. I'm listening to his symphonies in order of composition. 1 & 2 today. Great, great stuff! The No. 1 is in a neorromantic style, there are suggestive harmonies and magical atmospheres. The No. 2 sounds more menacing, like foreshadowing the turbulent times to come (composed in 1938). I hope to be enthralled by the next ones.

I like the first two symphonies very much as well. Lajtha was a master of orchestral texture and color. The one symphony of his I don't recall being too keen on is the 4th (Le printemps), which in its rather relentless garish brightness reminded me of the symphonies of Milhaud (which I'm not too fond of ;)).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

I'm listening to the 4th right now and I can perceive the Milhaud association you mention, though it's not too marked, but I feel that this work has more direction, sense and warmth, it's certainly sparser but also very neoclassical, in a style rather similar to that of Tansman. The slow movement is especially fine and endearing.

Earlier I played the his unnumbered Symphony for harp, strings and percussion Les Soli and the No. 3, both quite satisfying. I especially enjoy the dark and grim atmospheres he conjures up in some movements, with lots of suspense. Astonishing and brilliantly accomplished to say the least.

SymphonicAddict

Just I've ended listening to the 9 symphonies + Les Soli and I have to say it's one of the most solid and fascinating cycles I've enjoyed in recent times, not to say one of the greatest ones of the 20th century IMO. A feature I found quite impressive is the intriguing and nocturnal atmospheres he conjured up in the slow movements with an exquisite use of the orchestra, particularly the percussion, a true master in that respect, on the par or perhaps better (?) than his compatriot Bartók.

André

I have long loved the ones I have (3-6) but didn't venture past that point. I'll make a point to get the last 3 symphonies this year. I have 6 months left for that  :).

kyjo

Once again I am impressed by this composer. I recently listened to his 8th Symphony (1959) on Marco Polo and was hooked from start to finish. As Cesar mentions, Lajtha's ability to create mysterious, nocturnal atmospheres through his masterful orchestration is second to none. There is a sense of striving and defiance in the finale that is particularly compelling. Anyone who likes Bartok or late Martinu ought to give Lajtha a try.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on October 17, 2019, 09:00:46 AM
Once again I am impressed by this composer. I recently listened to his 8th Symphony (1959) on Marco Polo and was hooked from start to finish. As Cesar mentions, Lajtha's ability to create mysterious, nocturnal atmospheres through his masterful orchestration is second to none. There is a sense of striving and defiance in the finale that is particularly compelling. Anyone who likes Bartok or late Martinu ought to give Lajtha a try.

Glad to read your impressions, Kyle. It's indeed a strong work, finely written. No dull moments as far as I recall. In fact, I didn't find any of his symphonies bad. On the contrary, strikingly impressive. An unjustly neglected cycle in my view.

Roy Bland

IMHO most representatives are 5-6

Roy Bland

Symphonic Addict

In a traversal of sinfoniettas I did today, I came across the ones for string orchestra by Lajtha on the CD below:

Truly sensational pieces, full of vigour, wit and Hungarian flavour. If I had to pick one of them, I would definitely go with the first one. Just the 1st movement is an utter delight, an exhilarating movement, quirkiness galore. The 2nd movement is quite the contrast: a deep and felt utterance that has nothing to envy from others' similar music. Finally, the last one has more sobriety but never devoid of spark.

Very recommended.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

I know a few of the symphonies. This one is my favourite:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

A radio broadcast, but it is Szell & the Cleveland orchestra!

https://www.youtube.com/v/Wbl6ubP0Be0

Heart-wrenching (melo)drama. Great.
I cherish the old Hungaroton recording of nrs. 4 and 9 / Ferencsik/ Hungarian State SO.

relm1

Quote from: pjme on August 22, 2020, 12:49:00 AM
A radio broadcast, but it is Szell & the Cleveland orchestra!

https://www.youtube.com/v/Wbl6ubP0Be0

Heart-wrenching (melo)drama. Great.
I cherish the old Hungaroton recording of nrs. 4 and 9 / Ferencsik/ Hungarian State SO.

Wow, for those first few notes I thought I was listening to RVW No. 6!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiFm7HVGkFo