How to pronounce the names of composers

Started by BobsterLobster, August 03, 2013, 04:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Spineur on February 26, 2016, 02:35:01 PM
Not really.  It depends if the last letter of the word is pronounced or not.  For Schubert it is not.  So both syllables have the same intensity and are pronnouced chou-bair.
For Schonberg, the G is pronounced.  This puts a stress on the last syllable as you say..

But you will agree that neither composer's name is pronounced by the French as it should properly be in German, with stress on the first syllable?

And while I don't want to go through the film again just to check the pronunciation of one name, my distinct impression was that Huppert said choo-BAIR and not choo-bair.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: EigenUser on July 18, 2016, 03:16:05 AM
Hah, I know what you mean. In French swearing, they always seem to say "merde" with an emphasis on the "de" -- "mer-duh". The more exasperated they are, the longer the emphasis on the "de" becomes.

In 2007 I stayed with a French family for the Summer (part of an immersion program) and they had a dog (named Rena). One time the dog threw up in the house. I was in the other room, but I distinctly remember hearing my host mom yelling at the dog:

"Rena! Non! Rena!! RENA!! NON!!!"

*sound of dog throwing up*

"mer-duuuuuuuhhh!"

They may have elongated the DUUUUUUHH, but they did not stress the second syllable.

Similarly, when I studied French in school, I was told that in a word like trente-trois, the second "e" is always silent. Not so when I heard native a Frenchmen speak the word slowly. But he wasn't throwing up, and Spineur can verify oui ou non here.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Visions_fugitives

Quote from: North Star on May 21, 2016, 09:08:12 AM
Pronunciation, according to Wikipedia: [dy fa(j)i]

It's great to always learn new things.
I always called him Dufé.
That must be why he never answered

Visions_fugitives

Regarding Beethoven, here in Italy you will almost always hear " Be-TO-ven".
But you would also hear "Shu-MA-ker", among others, so it is no surprise.

Jo498

To my recollection, the name Beethoven is also wrongly stressed in the song "Roll over BeetHOVen"
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

zamyrabyrd

It's funny to hear in Israel (where they could have gotten it right) like on the radio or wherever, "Lee-o-nard" Bernstein, instead of "Lennard".
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on July 18, 2016, 03:32:20 AM
Similarly, when I studied French in school, I was told that in a word like trente-trois, the second "e" is always silent. Not so when I heard native a Frenchmen speak the word slowly.

I always found a gap between what teachers say and what is done in the real world. And that goes for music, too.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Visions_fugitives on September 13, 2016, 11:45:16 PM
It's great to always learn new things.
I always called him Dufé.
That must be why he never answered

:) ;D :laugh:
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.