Walter Braunfels' Bullpen

Started by jlaurson, August 04, 2013, 06:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 31, 2020, 01:32:01 PM
Ariel's Song, op.19, Don Gil of the Green Trousers Overture, Divertimento for Radio Orchestra op.42

And such a bloody good recording, at that. Probably better petition Honeck to see if someone would re-issue it. I reckon he might hold the rights... or the Swedish Orchestra with which he recorded it. (If I've got that right, ottomh.) I will inquire!

That's nice, the Divertimento is only available in a 2cd set on cpo with works by other composers.

And yes, please ask Honeck about it ! I wouldn't have thought possible that an individual could own the rights to a recording.  It would be so nice to have him replace Nagano here in Montreal... ::)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: André on December 31, 2020, 02:52:01 PM

It would be so nice to have [Honeck] replace Nagano here in Montreal... ::)

Ha! Dream on. Although, I don't have any inklings as to where he might land, should he choose to leave Pittsburgh at any point.

I certainly wished that he had conducted the New Year's Concert, earlier today, rather than that snooze-fest of comatose Muti.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 01, 2021, 07:27:04 AM
Ha! Dream on. Although, I don't have any inklings as to where he might land, should he choose to leave Pittsburgh at any point.

I certainly wished that he had conducted the New Year's Concert, earlier today, rather than that snooze-fest of comatose Muti.

It was odd wasn't it - Muti didn't exactly look thrilled!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 31, 2020, 01:32:01 PM
Ariel's Song, op.19, Don Gil of the Green Trousers Overture, Divertimento for Radio Orchestra op.42

Enjoying the music, plus other discs,  this morning.

André

Great stuff ! Love all his music.

Mirror Image

I dislike those Capriccio album covers --- I think they're distasteful, but how do a lot of these Capriccio performances stack up against the Dutton releases?

André

The works are scattered on different discs, so no two programs are alike. I have most of them and like them equally. The orchestras used on Capriccio are excellent - more burnished. There's also a few discs on CPO, again with different programs. Duplication is impossible to avoid unfortunately.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 24, 2021, 04:34:44 PM
The works are scattered on different discs, so no two programs are alike. I have most of them and like them equally. The orchestras used on Capriccio are excellent - more burnished. There's also a few discs on CPO, again with different programs. Duplication is impossible to avoid unfortunately.

Thanks, Andre. I have the Dutton and CPO recordings. I might spring for the Capriccio ones. There's also the two recordings of orchesterlieder on Oehms Classics that look interesting, which I remember you buying.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2021, 04:53:03 PM
Thanks, Andre. I have the Dutton and CPO recordings. I might spring for the Capriccio ones. There's also the two recordings of orchesterlieder on Oehms Classics that look interesting, which I remember you buying.

Volume one of the Oehms orchestral lieder discs has the big Don Juan Variations on it. It's also on one of the Capriccio discs, and my own favourite among all the orchestral works by this composer.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 24, 2021, 04:57:02 PM
Volume one of the Oehms orchestral lieder discs has the big Don Juan Variations on it. It's also on one of the Capriccio discs, and my own favourite among all the orchestral works by this composer.

Very nice, thanks again, Andre. I'll have to pull out what Braunfels discs I own and see if I want to explore his music any further. I do remember thinking highly of his Piano Concerto.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on May 24, 2021, 04:57:02 PM

Mine too! The composer's accomplishment and imagination in full display.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2021, 05:04:21 PM
Very nice, thanks again, Andre. I'll have to pull out what Braunfels discs I own and see if I want to explore his music any further. I do remember thinking highly of his Piano Concerto.

That Piano Concerto is solid music indeed. The slow movement is especially sublime.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 24, 2021, 06:11:47 PM
That Piano Concerto is solid music indeed. The slow movement is especially sublime.

Yes, I believe that was the movement that impressed me the most.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2021, 03:59:48 PM
I dislike those Capriccio album covers --- I think they're distasteful, but how do a lot of these Capriccio performances stack up against the Dutton releases?

I don't like the cover art either. I listened to the other Oehms album with an organ today. Sounds very good.

André

The concerto for organ, children's choir and orchestra is superb.

That disc was my first of anything by Braunfels. JPC was selling it in a tri-pak of Oehms releases with Iveta Apkalna (the organist).

SurprisedByBeauty

The covers, well... yes.  ::)  At least they have a certain memorability, I suppose. But at least Braunfels is getting more attention and multiple recordings of major works.

And of course, if you like the liner notes better than the cover... I'm happy.  ;)

André

The liner notes are excellent. Enthusiastic and knowledgeable  :).

Symphonic Addict

I waited for too long to give these quartets a listen, and glad to find out they are up to the expectations: elegant, totally approachable, not too much dense. There's more interesting music here than in his String Quartet No. 3 (which is performed by the Minguet Quartett on Avi Music).

Noam Chomsky

lunar22

for me, the greatest Braunfels is in the choral works. His Te Deum in fact has become my favourite choral work bar none -- beating out even Janacek's Glagolitic Mass. The applause lasted for an hour at the premiere in Köln -- the greatest success of any work in the history of the city. It even inspired me to write one which as a non-Catholic is a pretty strange undertaking  ;D . The intensity of operatic feeling reached in the 3rd movement is just shattering. The Mass is pretty good as well and I was at a rare performance of the Passionskantate which isn't available on disk to my knowledge.

It should be remembered that in the 1920's, Braunfels was regarded as almost on a par with Strauss -- his Die Vögel had also been hugely successful. After his forced migration on accession of the Nazis, he never again recovered. I'm more indifferent to much of his orchestral music I have to say, although I love the early Serenade. The string quintet is also a very fine piece.

kyjo

Quote from: lunar22 on June 24, 2023, 11:00:56 AMfor me, the greatest Braunfels is in the choral works. His Te Deum in fact has become my favourite choral work bar none -- beating out even Janacek's Glagolitic Mass. The applause lasted for an hour at the premiere in Köln -- the greatest success of any work in the history of the city. It even inspired me to write one which as a non-Catholic is a pretty strange undertaking  ;D . The intensity of operatic feeling reached in the 3rd movement is just shattering. The Mass is pretty good as well and I was at a rare performance of the Passionskantate which isn't available on disk to my knowledge.

It should be remembered that in the 1920's, Braunfels was regarded as almost on a par with Strauss -- his Die Vögel had also been hugely successful. After his forced migration on accession of the Nazis, he never again recovered. I'm more indifferent to much of his orchestral music I have to say, although I love the early Serenade. The string quintet is also a very fine piece.

Indeed, the Te Deum is a tremendous work and my favorite by Braunfels that I know. I recall enjoying the Große Messe as well, despite its longueurs. (I really wish I could hear the Honeck recording of it on Decca, but it's pretty much impossible to find). I've also been mildly disappointed by most of his purely orchestral music, though recently I really enjoyed his substantial Prelude and Fugue for large orchestra (conducted here by Honeck, no less): https://youtu.be/gfCask7Jyes
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff