"Drinking the Kool-Aid"

Started by Bogey, August 04, 2013, 08:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on August 05, 2013, 07:30:12 AM

When Hermann Scherchen's recording of the Eroica was first reissued, there were a lot of people who said it was great.  I not only dislike it, I rate it among the worst ever recordings of the work that I've heard.

Which one? One of them, 1958 VSOO, is one of the best recordings of that work the I've ever heard.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

mc ukrneal

Well, since we are bearing our souls, and no one has freaked out (yet! :)), I will admit that I have always found the Furtwangler 9ths (Beethoven) disappointing. I don't own any of them (anymore) and I was sorry I bought the one I did.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 07, 2013, 04:33:30 AM
Well, since we are bearing our souls, and no one has freaked out (yet! :) ), I will admit that I have always found the Furtwangler 9ths (Beethoven) disappointing. I don't own any of them (anymore) and I was sorry I bought the one I did.

Thank you.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The new erato

I want to beer my soul (it's hot here today).

eumyang

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 05, 2013, 08:51:32 AM
A quick consultation with Wikipedia results in the answer "definitely maybe".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Philharmonic
But Wikipedia doesn't make it clear if new VPO members stay with the VSO, and if so, whether they can leave the VSO later and remain members of the VPO.
One can look at the orchestra rosters:
VSO: http://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/Content.Node/home/kuenstler/orchester/uebersichtsseite-Staatsopernorchester.en.php
VPO: http://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/orchestra/members
I haven't done a complete comparison, but I haven't found anyone yet who is a member of the VPO but not the VSO.

kishnevi

Well, since we are bearing our souls, and no one has freaked out (yet! :)), I will admit that I have always found the Furtwangler 9ths (Beethoven) disappointing. I don't own any of them (anymore) and I was sorry I bought the one I did.

I only have the Bayreuth recording,  For many years it was my only recording of the Ninth.  I don't want to say it's disappointing--or actually imply anything negative about it--but I've heard enough since to decide that it's not really as outstanding as its reputation makes it out to be.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

As long as we're dumping on Furt, I remember finding his much-praised Schubert 9th perverse and unconvincing. It's been ages since I heard it, though.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

I remember drinking Kool-Aid as a kid. I believe my favorite flavor was either fruit punch or tropical punch. Both were quite tasty.

Gurn Blanston

In 1978 I worked right across the street (Geary Blvd) from the San Francisco People's Temple. Many of the members were at Jonestown, where they 'drank the Kool-Aid'. The remainder were out on the sidewalk in front of my work beating their breasts for a week or so. It was one of the more bizarre images that I've personally encountered.

Well, since we are baring our souls, and no one has freaked out (yet! :)), I will admit that I have always found the Furtwangler 9ths (Beethoven) disappointing. I don't own any of them (anymore) and I was sorry I bought the one I did.

And then I ran across Furtwängler.... ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Drasko

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 07, 2013, 02:28:13 AM
Welcome home, Dude. Long time no see.

Sarge

Hey, Sarge, thanks! Yes, took bit of a break, oversaturation and all that.

Pat B

I'll join this chorus ('42 and '51 are the ones I have), but I think I'm just generally not into Furtwängler's style.

Tyson

How about composers instead of recordings?  I submit Ravel and Debussy.  I tried for almost a decade to "get" them.  At last I've given up on them and written them of, and I feel SOOOOOO much better now.
At a loss for words.

Bogey

Quote from: Tyson on August 07, 2013, 03:08:09 PM
How about composers instead of recordings?  I submit Ravel and Debussy.  I tried for almost a decade to "get" them.  At last I've given up on them and written them of, and I feel SOOOOOO much better now.

Where abouts are you in Denver, Tyson?

For me, Mahler comes close.  Still drinking though.   :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Tyson

Quote from: Bogey on August 07, 2013, 03:39:59 PM
Where abouts are you in Denver, Tyson?

For me, Mahler comes close.  Still drinking though.   :)

About 2 blocks south of the new Denver Art Museum.
At a loss for words.

Bogey

Quote from: Tyson on August 07, 2013, 05:22:13 PM
About 2 blocks south of the new Denver Art Museum.

Typing from Arvada.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Tyson

At a loss for words.

modUltralaser

Well what of theirs did you listen to?

Tyson

Quote from: modUltralaser on August 07, 2013, 06:30:25 PM
Well what of theirs did you listen to?

I have pretty much everything they ever wrote, in multiple recordings.  Just not for me. 
At a loss for words.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Tyson on August 07, 2013, 09:30:26 PM
I have pretty much everything they ever wrote, in multiple recordings.  Just not for me.

That's the reason that we don't start doing this with composers. Every time (so far) it turns into something other than 'they just weren't to my taste'.  It is one of the great constants in the universe of classical listening.   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

I submit Ravel and Debussy.  I tried for almost a decade to "get" them.

I tried for three decades (in the case of Debussy). Finally hearing La Mer live at a concert in Mannheim (Dutoit conducting the O National de France) provided the breakthough moment. It's been love ever since  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"