Franz Schreker

Started by The new erato, August 04, 2013, 11:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

It seems that poor Franz doesn't have his own thread, so I'm starting one just to tell that I have enjoyed Nagano's DVD of Die Gezeichneten, and just noticed that Capriccio is rerelasing Albrech't recordings of Der ferne Klang and Der  Schatzgräber (doubtless without a libretto, but very cheaply, look under mdt New Releases if you are interested). Are they any good?

jlaurson

Very fine cause, indeed!!!

More on Schreker to follow... I got one of the recent re-releases... will check re: booklet when I stop by home again some time this month.

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on August 04, 2013, 11:07:39 PM
It seems that poor Franz doesn't have his own thread, so I'm starting one just to tell that I have enjoyed Nagano's DVD of Die Gezeichneten, and just noticed that Capriccio is rerelasing Albrech't recordings of Der ferne Klang and Der  Schatzgräber (doubtless without a libretto, but very cheaply, look under mdt New Releases if you are interested). Are they any good?

Ahhhh, you got one!! Wow, that was good,... jealous...

How bout 'Schreker's Pecker'?????

come on, pleez pleez!?!?!?!

jlaurson

Quote from: snyprrr on August 05, 2013, 06:59:35 AM
Ahhhh, you got one!! Wow, that was good,... jealous...

How bout 'Schreker's Pecker'?????

come on, pleez pleez!?!?!?!

Apart from being juvenile, it doesn't rhyme... an even greater sin.

Schreker is sort of like beaker or faker... except the vowel sound is "eh" as in ... well, actually I can't think of that open "e" sound. Like an elongated "e" as in the first vowel in "Esoterical".
Although you're unwittingly right, since Schreker changed his name from "Schrecker", which would rhyme reasonably well.

snyprrr

Quote from: jlaurson on August 05, 2013, 07:18:18 AM
Apart from being juvenile, it doesn't rhyme... an even greater sin.

Schreker is sort of like beaker or faker... except the vowel sound is "eh" as in ... well, actually I can't think of that open "e" sound. Like an elongated "e" as in the first vowel in "Esoterical".
Although you're unwittingly right, since Schreker changed his name from "Schrecker", which would rhyme reasonably well.

Yes, I knew that, and was only playing with your expectations to see if you were on the ball this morning? :-*

Mirror Image

I haven't heard Schreker's operas (yet) but I really admire his orchestral works, especially Prelude to a Drama. He seems to be one of those composers who borrowed from a lot of different other styles to arrive at his own and I really admire that kind 'pot-brewing'. :)

kyjo

Schreker's music is great when I need a good wallow. I especially love these two Chandos discs of his luscious orchestral works:

I also own this fantastic EMI two-disc set, which includes Schreker's masterpiece, the Chamber Symphony, along with other orchestral works by Schreker as well as Schmidt and Busoni:

Also, this two-disc set of mostly lesser Schreker, including a student Symphony in A minor which bears little resemblance to the hyper-chromaticism of his later works:

Like John, I've never heard Schreker's operas, which have garnered much praise. As I've said before, I'm no opera buff, but I'd appreciate recommendations for where to start with Schreker's operas :)

jlaurson

Quote from: snyprrr on August 05, 2013, 08:04:41 AM
Yes, I knew that, and was only playing with your expectations to see if you were on the ball this morning? :-*

The rhyming police is always on the ball! 

Wanderer

Quote from: kyjo on August 05, 2013, 08:49:37 AM
As I've said before, I'm no opera buff, but I'd appreciate recommendations for where to start with Schreker's operas :)

Definitely start with this:

[asin]B000FVQUN0[/asin]

Die Gezeichneten is perhaps Schreker's finest opera (and certainly my favourite). This Salzburg production is beautiful, imaginative and has a surreal, mystical aura that works quite well. The music-making is incandescent.

kyjo

Quote from: Wanderer on August 06, 2013, 01:58:48 PM
Definitely start with this:

[asin]B000FVQUN0[/asin]

Die Gezeichneten is perhaps Schreker's finest opera (and certainly my favourite). This Salzburg production is beautiful, imaginative and has a surreal, mystical aura that works quite well. The music-making is incandescent.

Thanks for the recommendation :) I see CPO has recorded four of his operas; have you heard any of those? Der Ferne Klang seems to be Schreker's most-discussed opera and both Naxos and Capriccio have recorded it. I still have most of the wide world of opera to explore.....Any more tips on exploring Schreker's operatic output? :)

jlaurson

Quote from: kyjo on August 06, 2013, 02:08:55 PM
Thanks for the recommendation :)

"This production is beautiful"  -- well, yes... and it's also wickedly disturbing! This is just for expectation management, btw., not to dampen your anticipation or enthusiasm, because the production really is amazing, and the orchestra plays very well and Nagano must have had a very good day.

The new erato

Quote from: Wanderer on August 06, 2013, 01:58:48 PM

That's the one I mentioned initially and I agree with Jens, it is disturbing but still extremely watchable.

bhodges

Coincidentally, I just heard Prelude to a Drama the other night, with the Concertgebouw led by Friedrich Cerha, from this box below - fantastic piece, requires a huge orchestra. (And this one certainly plays the hell out of it.) My friends thought it sounded somewhat like Korngold. I think anyone who enjoys Mahler or R. Strauss would warm up to it.

[asin]B001JYDLMU[/asin]

--Bruce

Wanderer

Quote from: kyjo on August 06, 2013, 02:08:55 PM
Thanks for the recommendation :) I see CPO has recorded four of his operas; have you heard any of those? Der Ferne Klang seems to be Schreker's most-discussed opera and both Naxos and Capriccio have recorded it. I still have most of the wide world of opera to explore.....Any more tips on exploring Schreker's operatic output? :)

Regarding Der ferne Klang, Albrecht (Capriccio) has IMO a slight edge over Halász (Naxos) and Kaftan (Ars Produktion, SACD), although all three are good; among his other operas available on disc, Christophorus, Der Schatzgräber and Der Schmied von Gent also warrant a listen.

Among his non-operatic output the Kammersymphonie is a study in awesomeness.

PS. If Schreker's operatic idiom appeals to you, your next steps should be Zemlinsky (Eine florentinische Tragödie/Chailly, Der Zwerg) and Korngold (Die tote Stadt, Das Wunder der Heliane).

PS2. I hope that DVD is already on its way to you.

Wanderer

Quote from: jlaurson on August 07, 2013, 03:58:15 AM
"This production is beautiful"  -- well, yes... and it's also wickedly disturbing!

Oh, yes.  8)

Wanderer

Quote from: The new erato on August 08, 2013, 01:44:28 AM
I wasn't aware he was so short?
*superb twitter material*

He winks a lot at the audience, too.

kyjo

Quote from: Wanderer on August 08, 2013, 01:29:00 AM
Regarding Der ferne Klang, Albrecht (Capriccio) has IMO a slight edge over Halász (Naxos) and Kaftan (Ars Produktion, SACD), although all three are good; among his other operas available on disc, Christophorus, Der Schatzgräber and Der Schmied von Gent also warrant a listen.

Among his non-operatic output the Kammersymphonie is a study in awesomeness.

PS. If Schreker's operatic idiom appeals to you, your next steps should be Zemlinsky (Eine florentinische Tragödie/Chailly, Der Zwerg) and Korngold (Die tote Stadt, Das Wunder der Heliane).

PS2. I hope that DVD is already on its way to you.

Again, many thanks for the helpful recommendations :) I already know the Chamber Symphony, which is indeed "a study in awesomeness" :D I love Zemlinsky's and Korngold's orchestral works, so hopefully I'll take to their operas. I think I'll opt for the Decca CD recording of Die Gezeichneten (part of their Entartete Musik series) instead of the DVD version. I just want the music; I don't really care for the visuals at the moment.

The new erato

I do tend to think the same way (and I've got the Entartete recording as well); but sometimes seeing an opera, particularly a complex work, is a tremendous help in understanding what is actually going on.

Scion7

Just now discovering this guy.
Pleasing orchestration chops, to say the least.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."