Franz Schreker

Started by The new erato, August 04, 2013, 11:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on September 02, 2016, 07:25:19 AM
Just now discovering this guy.
Pleasing orchestration chops, to say the least.

Check out his Prelude to a Drama. Perhaps my favorite work of his. I also like his Chamber Symphony, but he's primarily an opera composer, which is a genre I care little about.

Scion7

a single chamber work!

Chbr: Sonata, vn, pf, 1898

Pf: Melodie, c1895;
Apassionata, 1896;
Adagio, F, before 1900;
2 Walzerimpromptus, c1901

orchestral
Love Song, str, hp, c1896, lost;
Scherzo, 1899;
Sym., a, op.1, 1899;
Scherzo, str, c1900;
Intermezzo, op.8, str, 1900, incl. in Romantische Suite;
Ekkehard, sym. ov., after V. von Scheffel, op.12, orch, org, 1902–3;
Romantische Suite, op.14, 1903;
Phantastische Ouvertüre, op.15, 1904;
Festwalzer und Walzerintermezzo, c1908;
Valse lente, c1908;
Vorspiel zu einem Drama, 1913, abridged as prelude to Die Gezeichneten;
Kammersymphonie, 23 insts, 1916;
Der Geburtstag der Infantin, suite, 1923;
Kleine Suite, chbr orch, 1928;
4 kleine Stücke, 1929–30;
Das Weib des Intaphernes (E. Stucken), spkr, orch, 1932–3;
Vorspiel zu einer grossen Oper, 1933 [for uncomposed Memnon]

Stage Works
•   Der Ferne Klang, opera in 3 acts
•   Der Schatzgräber, opera in 4 acts (w/prologue and epilogue)
•   Die Gezeichneten (opera)
•   Das Spielwerk und die Prinzessin, opera
•   Flammen, opera in one act
•   Der Schmied von Gent
Der Geburstag der Infantin (The Birthday of the Infanta), pantomime in one act
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 02, 2016, 07:30:05 AM
Check out his Prelude to a Drama. Perhaps my favorite work of his. I also like his Chamber Symphony, but he's primarily an opera composer, which is a genre I care little about.

This was nearly five years ago and my interest in opera has grown tremendously. Schreker's operas, or at least his more well-known ones, are definitely on my list to works to check out. I already ordered several of them. What would you Schrekerkians say is his best opera is overall?

Wanderer

You certainly took your time, didn't you?  ;D

And Nagano's Die Gezeichneten has still not been surpassed.

Quote from: Wanderer on August 06, 2013, 01:58:48 PM
Definitely start with this:

[asin]B000FVQUN0[/asin]

Die Gezeichneten is perhaps Schreker's finest opera (and certainly my favourite). This Salzburg production is beautiful, imaginative and has a surreal, mystical aura that works quite well. The music-making is incandescent.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Wanderer on May 08, 2021, 09:53:06 PM
You certainly took your time, didn't you?  ;D

And Nagano's Die Gezeichneten has still not been surpassed.

Hah, indeed. :-[ ;D Coincidently, I ordered Die Gezeichneten (on Decca) several nights ago. I hope this is a good performance. Thanks for the recommendation for the Nagano, but I'm not much of a fan of watching an opera to be honest or, at least, feel I'm at the point where I'd enjoy the visual experience. I know that probably sounded weird, but I'm only fine with recordings for now.

André

Both the Nagano DVD and the Decca cd set of Gezeichneten are excellent. I also liked Der Schatzgräber (The Treasure Hunter) a lot.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 09, 2021, 06:36:26 AM
Both the Nagano DVD and the Decca cd set of Gezeichneten are excellent. I also liked Der Schatzgräber (The Treasure Hunter) a lot.

What recording of Der Schatzgräber do you recommend, Andre?

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 09, 2021, 06:57:47 AM
What recording of Der Schatzgräber do you recommend, Andre?

It's not like there are that many  ;D. The one I have is on Challenge Classics under Marc Albrecht. It's a superb performance in great sound. The other one is by Gerd Albrecht (no or only distant relation to Marc) on Capriccio, with well-known soloists. I'm quite sure it's just as good. Take your pick!

vers la flamme

Love his orchestral works. I have one of the Sinaisky/BBC Philharmonic discs on Chandos and listen to it frequenlty. Like the younger MI of 2016, I am not much of an opera guy so I have not explored much else of his work. Give me five years and I'll get back to you all on that.  :P

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 09, 2021, 12:16:01 PM
It's not like there are that many  ;D. The one I have is on Challenge Classics under Marc Albrecht. It's a superb performance in great sound. The other one is by Gerd Albrecht (no or only distant relation to Marc) on Capriccio, with well-known soloists. I'm quite sure it's just as good. Take your pick!

Thanks, Andre. The one on Challenge Classics with Marc Albrecht seems to be the one that's most readily available for me at the moment.

André

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 09, 2021, 02:57:13 PM
Love his orchestral works. I have one of the Sinaisky/BBC Philharmonic discs on Chandos and listen to it frequenlty. Like the younger MI of 2016, I am not much of an opera guy so I have not explored much else of his work. Give me five years and I'll get back to you all on that.  :P

That's the spirit !  ;D

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 09, 2021, 07:02:49 PM
Thanks, Andre. The one on Challenge Classics with Marc Albrecht seems to be the one that's most readily available for me at the moment.

While researching the subject of a blood link btw the 2 Albrechts, I came upon the fact that conductor Marc is first cousin to EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen (née Albrecht). Still, no relation to Gerd Albrecht.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 10, 2021, 04:53:44 AM
While researching the subject of a blood link btw the 2 Albrechts, I came upon the fact that conductor Marc is first cousin to EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen (née Albrecht). Still, no relation to Gerd Albrecht.

I figured they weren't related. I believe, like you, I had read about this a few years ago when I was wondering the same thing anyone would think since they share a last name.

bhodges

Speaking of Die Gezeichneten, over the weekend I stumbled across this very fine live performance of Vorspiel zu einem Drama (Prelude to a Drama) from the American Youth Symphony and conductor Carlos Izcaray, recorded at UCLA's Royce Hall in October 2016. About 20 minutes long, the piece doesn't show up in concert halls often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVb-WZVBvUQ

--Bruce

Wanderer

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 09, 2021, 06:24:37 AM
Hah, indeed. :-[ ;D Coincidently, I ordered Die Gezeichneten (on Decca) several nights ago. I hope this is a good performance. Thanks for the recommendation for the Nagano, but I'm not much of a fan of watching an opera to be honest or, at least, feel I'm at the point where I'd enjoy the visual experience. I know that probably sounded weird, but I'm only fine with recordings for now.

The Zagrosek set you ordered is very good, I'm sure it will satisfy.
Nagano is, however, on a higher level still - I do mean musically - and quite unsurpassed. I have ripped the uncompressed audio track of the DVD (which, as in all DVDs, is slightly better than CD quality at 16bit/48kHz) to my computer/media player, in order to be able to listen to the performance independently, something I very rarely do.

Wanderer

Quote from: Brewski on May 10, 2021, 07:34:15 AM
Speaking of Die Gezeichneten, over the weekend I stumbled across this very fine live performance of Vorspiel zu einem Drama (Prelude to a Drama) from the American Youth Symphony and conductor Carlos Izcaray, recorded at UCLA's Royce Hall in October 2016. About 20 minutes long, the piece doesn't show up in concert halls often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVb-WZVBvUQ

--Bruce

Thanks for posting this, Bruce, it is indeed a very fine performance.  8)

Symphonic Addict

For those who are familiar with some of his operas, what ones would you recommend for starters? Needless to say I love his music and his a musical language has compatibility with my tastes in a good proportion.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Die Gezeichneten is my favourite. Then there's his most famous one, Der ferne Klang. I also like Der Schatzgräber, a very palatable work IMO. Although I haven't heard it yet a friend enthuses no end about Irrelohe. I have to get that.

Gezeichneten (The Branded) is the real thing and has been recorded half a dozen times. Between the Decca CD set and the Salzburg Festival video, the latter has my vote, on account of the magnetic, radiant singing of Anne Schwanewilms and the remarkably moving portrayal of Alviano by Robert Brubaker. Superb conducting by Nagano.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on April 08, 2022, 06:00:33 AM
Die Gezeichneten is my favourite. Then there's his most famous one, Der ferne Klang. I also like Der Schatzgräber, a very palatable work IMO. Although I haven't heard it yet a friend enthuses no end about Irrelohe. I have to get that.

Gezeichneten (The Branded) is the real thing and has been recorded half a dozen times. Between the Decca CD set and the Salzburg Festival video, the latter has my vote, on account of the magnetic, radiant singing of Anne Schwanewilms and the remarkably moving portrayal of Alviano by Robert Brubaker. Superb conducting by Nagano.

Thank you so much, André! I do plan to hear all of his operas (or at least the ones that have been recorded).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

bhodges

For anyone who wants to take the 2005 Salzburg production of Die Gezeichneten for a test drive, it's on YouTube below. Quality isn't great, but good enough to see whether the score and the production are to your liking.

I listened to the first 20 minutes or so, and if nothing else, Nagano and the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin are breathtaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckKLvj1OEwQ

--Bruce