Chamber version of symphonies and orchestra

Started by wagnernn, August 06, 2013, 02:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wagnernn

Hi all,

I just came across the chamber versions of Chopin's two piano concerti, and got heavily addicted to them ever since.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydunhRuXLe8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD0bF4WEM3E

These performances sparked my curiosity for the chamber ensemble transcription of some large scale works.
I know that there is a wind ensemble of Beethoven's seventh (though I could never get along with Beethoven), and a chamber ensemble of Bruckner's seventh (which I am hunting for). Can you suggest more recordings of this genre?

P/S:
1/ I have tried Brahms' German Requiem with two piano and chamber chorus too, but frankly, it doesn't work for me! There are something really wrong about the approach.
2/ Britten' s chamber opera - they are genuine, not transcription- are quite interesting and worth investigating.

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphonies performed by Arco Baleno (violin, viola, cello, flute, pianoforte)

[asin] B000MV98IM[/asin]

[asin]B0001AEVKY[/asin]

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Roberto

There is a chamber version of Beethoven's 4th piano concerto for piano and string quintet and the 2nd symphony also:
[asin]B00001IVOJ[/asin]
I have this album and I love the piano concertos but I haven't listened to the chamber CD yet.
And there is a chamber version of Mozart's early Viennese piano concertos too. Mozart himself advertised these works as potentially chamber music because he thought more people will buy the chamber version.

wagnernn

Cool, now the 18th century guys are in the game :). I wonder if there are any interesting  Liszt, Mahler, Sibelius, Dvorak and Tchaikovsky?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: wagnernn on August 06, 2013, 03:38:08 AM
...any interesting Mahler?

There is Schoenberg's chamber orchestra version of Das Lied:

[asin] B000FDFO30[/asin]

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

wagnernn

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 06, 2013, 03:54:21 AM
There is Schoenberg's chamber orchestra version of Das Lied:

[asin] B000FDFO30[/asin]

Sarge

Awesome suggestion!

Brian

There's also a chamber version of Beethoven's second piano concerto available on BIS, accompanied by either string quartet or quintet, I forget which. And Beethoven's Symphony No. 2 makes a good piano trio.

Also try:

Piano, flute, violin and cello playing seven Mozart concertos and the 40th Symphony, arranged by Hummel.

aukhawk

There's a chamber version of Shostakovich 15th symphony on this compilation.
I don't think it's an improvement on the real thing though.

The other works (chamber orchestra versions of the String Quartets) are more worthwhile.

Oldnslow

There is a wonderful piano quartet (Piano with strings) version of the Eroica Symphony on MGD

Oldnslow

The MGD  chamber Eroica is by the Mozart Piano Quartet, and is an excellent arrangment by Ferdinand Ries.

springrite

No chamber versions of the Gothic Symphony or Mahler 8?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

These things are curiosities from the age before recordings. Then, they served a useful purpose. Now, I don't see any reason to listen to them.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

kishnevi

Quote from: wagnernn on August 06, 2013, 04:13:06 AM
Awesome suggestion!

I have that, with American performers on the Dorian Sono Luminos label.  I was underwhelmed with it, to be honest.   The musicians did a fine job with the material at hand, but the smaller instrumental forces just didn't cut it. 

Trevor Pinnock has just issued a recording of a chamber version of Mahler Four, originally made for the same group as this Schoenberg arrangement.  I can't make up my mind whether I want it or not.

I also--although I seem to be in the minority on this one--don't particularly care for the Barshai arrangments of the DSCH quartets.

wagnernn

Quote from: Oldnslow on August 06, 2013, 09:58:25 AM
There is a wonderful piano quartet (Piano with strings) version of the Eroica Symphony on MGD

I found an excerpt here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQNvJ8nuTMk
Sounds interesting.

wagnernn

I know that some chamber versions turned out to be failures. But what do you guys think about the Chopin's concerto I posted above?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD0bF4WEM3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydunhRuXLe8

They are so well done that they give me an impression that Chopin was first intended to write for the small ensemble (especially the second).

Papy Oli

Quote from: wagnernn on August 06, 2013, 03:38:08 AM
any interesting Mahler?

Here is a good pared-down version of the Mahler Fourth:

[asin]B0009OJ9LS[/asin]

Olivier