Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 15, 2013, 12:57:17 PM
I need to get a classical 'earworm' going - the end of Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto was probably my most recent one.

Oh, don't get me started on that ending of Rach 2! :D Oh, glorious, glorious..........

DavidW

There is a beautiful passage in Dvorak's 6th that is stuck in my head today. 0:)

vandermolen

Second movement of Howard Hanson's Symphony No 4.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

classicalgeek

Got a new one this morning.  Yesterday, heard Shostakovich's arrangement of eight British and American Folksongs (from a 2006 concert broadcast, with Peter Rose singing and Thomas Sanderling conducting.)  The lovely first number from that set, 'Blow the Wind Southerly', has been in my head ever since.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

jochanaan

Quote from: vandermolen on August 10, 2013, 10:20:18 AM
The opening of the third movement of Sibelius's 'Four Legends for Orchestra'
Mmmmm, gotta hear those again!

For me, right now it's Mahler 8, 1st movement.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Mirror Image

Currently, I have Chavez's Sinfonia India stuck in my head.  Aghhh!!!! The whole freakin' piece is one giant earworm! :D

Papy Oli

Beethoven Sonata No.4 Op.7 since listening to Schiff's at lunchtime  0:)
Olivier

DaveF

Quote from: DavidW on August 09, 2013, 07:52:27 PM
For obvious reasons the opening theme of Nielsen's clarinet concerto.

I've been waiting for someone to ask "Why for obvious reasons?" but no-one has.  So I will.

And for me it's most of The Midsummer Marriage since the Proms performance last week.  No space for Nielsen's gritty masterpiece at the moment in the midst of all this luxuriance.

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

DavidW

Quote from: DaveF on August 22, 2013, 07:22:42 AM
I've been waiting for someone to ask "Why for obvious reasons?" but no-one has.  So I will.

Because as I posted in other threads I listened to it several times in the course of a few days. :)

Karl Henning

And when you're living with that wonderful clarinet concerto, how can you not be haunted by the bumptious ascending major fifth?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DaveF

"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

kyjo

Now: the main theme of Liszt's Tasso. Lamento e trionfo. That moment when the cellos come in with the theme in 3/4 time is pure magic! :)

Rhymenoceros

Mendelssohn's Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor

[asin]B000B8656O[/asin]

EigenUser

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread about this (at least, not one that I saw). An annex to the "What are you listening to now?" thread

Right now, Debussy's "La Mer". First movement -- that Japanese-sounding pentatonic theme played by woodwinds. Probably the most frequent piece to get stuck in my head. At least I like it  :D.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

springrite

Three Little Indians, because that's what Kimi keeps playing on the piano!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

TheGSMoeller

DavidW

Beethoven and Wagner are fighting for supremacy.  A tune for Die Walkure starts and Beethoven lunges in and takes over. :)