Cabezón, Arauxo, Cabanilles etc etc

Started by Mandryka, August 10, 2013, 11:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on May 05, 2018, 12:50:22 PM
I was less impressed by the other recordings of Uriol, though. But something about the Daroca organ just works well with him.

Have you heard him play Pablo Bruna? 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on May 05, 2018, 02:11:09 PM
Have you heard him play Pablo Bruna?
No I haven't! Any samples? (I don't know Bruna as well as Cabezon or Arauxo)

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on May 05, 2018, 03:26:57 PM
No I haven't! Any samples? (I don't know Bruna as well as Cabezon or Arauxo)

I'll put it on symphonyshare later, there's 3 CDs, one at Daroca, one at Sàdaba, one at Almonacid de la Siera. I blow a bit hot and cold about the music.

Que

What's the word on Bates?

[asin]B0754GB6F6[/asin]
Q

Mandryka

I was very glad to hear the organ at Berkeley California in Bates's Arauxo. This is by Greg Harrold, a factor based in LA, I'd like to hear more of his work. I'm sure I've heard another one of his organs before, op 11 maybe, and I remember being impressed, I can't remember where though (something played by William Porter maybe?)

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 06, 2018, 04:11:52 AM
I was very glad to hear the organ at Berkeley California in Bates's Arauxo. This is by Greg Harrold, a factor based in LA, I'd like to hear more of his work. I'm sure I've heard another one of his organs before, op 11 maybe, and I remember being impressed, I can't remember where though (something played by William Porter maybe?)

Not Porter, but John Butt's Cabanilles CD.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

I think I may have been confusing Harrold with Fisk, because I see that Fisk also gives opus numbers to his organs, I may have been thinking of Christa Rakich's Leipzig Chorales CD. I never listen to Butt in fact.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on May 06, 2018, 04:11:52 AM

This organ sort of had a weird story -- it was built for a place on the Berkeley campus that was never actually finished, so had to be housed in a lutheran seminary (along with a nice 19th century organ) where it was only used a few times a year for concerts. A few years ago, the Lutheran seminary had to sell their property, so Cal was forced to sell the organ after they couldn't find any churches in the bay area willing to house the organ.
It's in Oberlin now! I guess they have more use for it as a conservatory...

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on May 05, 2018, 08:58:53 PM
I'll put it on symphonyshare later, there's 3 CDs, one at Daroca, one at Sàdaba, one at Almonacid de la Siera. I blow a bit hot and cold about the music.
Thank you! Will be interesting!

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 06, 2018, 01:32:59 AM

[asin]B0754GB6F6[/asin]
Q

Spanish organists who use Spanish organs and who have a native contact with duende, make the music sound exotic. Bates seems to locate Arauxo very much in the tradition of Sweelinck and Philips.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 06, 2018, 09:37:35 PM
Spanish organists who use Spanish organs and who have a native contact with duende, make the music sound exotic. Bates seems to locate Arauxo very much in the tradition of Sweelinck and Philips.

That's the feel I got when sampling as well.... :)

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 06, 2018, 09:46:00 PM
That's the feel I got when sampling as well.... :)

Q

This issue is interesting because, as you know better than me, Spain had plenty of "contact" with the Netherlands, and so there was, I suppose, some cultural cross fertilisation.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 03, 2018, 01:56:04 PM
New!

[asin]B07BZBD23K[/asin]
Q

What's distinctive about many of these performances is how, while reflecting some  contrasts and silences in the music, Cera plays with great fluidity, as if he  wants to turn the music into a long stream, sometimes tranquil, sometimes turbulent. He manages to suggest the requisite spiritual ardour I think.

The pieces aren't well identified in the booklet - for example, it's just not enough to print "Tiento de septimo tono."

The organ sounds good, meantone 1/4 comma apparently,  it sounds very clean and neutral, like a good modern organ - sweetly restored, there's no noise from the action. The sound engineering is transparent.

This comment in the booklet essay caught my attention.

QuoteHis [Correa's] way of blending different styles and techniques within a single tiento points to the idea of different realities, some part of the experience of the common man, some far removed from the day-to-day. The tiento thus becomes a path bringing the human and the divine closer together, an agonising interplay between reason and emotion within a musical-rhetorical scheme which is highly complex and yet speaks to all listeners. It is also a reflection of the erudite but challenging environment in which the composer lived and worked.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on May 06, 2018, 09:37:35 PM

That does sound interesting. It's quite pricey though - the cheapest I can find is about 40 euros, which is a fair bit of cash to drop on a single item. Would you recommend it at that sort of price?

Mandryka

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on June 06, 2018, 04:39:09 PM
That does sound interesting. It's quite pricey though - the cheapest I can find is about 40 euros, which is a fair bit of cash to drop on a single item. Would you recommend it at that sort of price?

I can't answer that question.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on June 02, 2018, 10:39:42 PM
What's distinctive about many of these performances is how, while reflecting some  contrasts and silences in the music, Cera plays with great fluidity, as if he  wants to turn the music into a long stream, sometimes tranquil, sometimes turbulent. He manages to suggest the requisite spiritual ardour I think.

The pieces aren't well identified in the booklet - for example, it's just not enough to print "Tiento de septimo tono."

The organ sounds good, meantone 1/4 comma apparently,  it sounds very clean and neutral, like a good modern organ - sweetly restored, there's no noise from the action. The sound engineering is transparent.

This comment in the booklet essay caught my attention.

As I have it my possession now I can confirm the excellence of the playing and the sound of the organ. Clean it is, not neutral, and it certainly does not sound like a good sweet organ. Most of the pipe work is original, and since I heard quite a few Renaissance organs all over the world, this one has the stamp of authenticity in sound.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Que on May 06, 2018, 01:32:59 AM

[asin]B0754GB6F6[/asin]
Q

This release is on my list of maybe purchase. But I need to listen to longer samples I guess.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Quote from: Pjotr on June 07, 2018, 02:06:04 AM
This release is on my list of maybe purchase. But I need to listen to longer samples I guess.

I'd be very interested in what you think about this.

Mandryka

Quote from: Pjotr on June 07, 2018, 02:04:29 AM
As I have it my possession now I can confirm the excellence of the playing and the sound of the organ. Clean it is, not neutral, and it certainly does not sound like a good sweet organ. Most of the pipe work is original, and since I heard quite a few Renaissance organs all over the world, this one has the stamp of authenticity in sound.

It's the cleanness of it which struck me, it's true. It was a sound which I wasn't expecting from such an old organ. But it does sound good.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on June 06, 2018, 11:08:48 PM

I can't answer that question.

OK, I'll see what other info I can find. In the meantime Cera's new Brilliant release looks very good, definitely one to get I think.