Cabezón, Arauxo, Cabanilles etc etc

Started by Mandryka, August 10, 2013, 11:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on June 12, 2017, 05:17:23 AM

http://discmedi.com/es/disco/7840/antonio-de-cabeznn/entre-lo-sagrado-y-lo-mundano-ignacio-ribas-talnons--orgue-nrgano

Ignacio Ribas Talens' style of music making is probably too careful, too scholarly, too stiff, too controlled. But it is not tough and aggressive, on the contrary, he makes the the music appear sweet and poetic. What's more, these Andorra organs are the bees knees for Cabezon because of the colours. For once it's clear that Cabezon really wrote obras de música para tecla arpa y vihuela. Registrations are very well chosen to offer enough contrast in the voices to make the polyphony clear, without making one voice dominate the rest.

It had me strapped to my seat.

Returning to this has me in complete agreement, apart from the suggestion that he's too scholarly, I don't know why I may have thought that before. This is a really revealing approach to Cabezon and a really attractive one. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

I'd say it's well worth hearing these Cabezon performances by Anne Landa, which are marked by a combination of seriousness, lyricism, introspection and tenderness. Not the slightest whiff of the Spanish Inquisition.  This is the sort of CD to hear late at night by candlelight . . .

Mandryka

Nadine Balbeisi and Fernando Marín play music by Cabezon, Henestrosa, Ortiz, D'Upsala and many others who I've never come across before. All I can say is that it is gentle, introspective, beautiful and it opens up a new perspective on what early modern Spanish music can sound like. Worth hearing this one, for sure.

Mandryka

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when a harpsichord player uses chords to pound out the pulse. Glen Wilson has often a penchant for this type of playing, and it spoils this disc of Cabezon glosas for me. 

(Compare the rudeness of Wilson with the finesse of Clemencic, admittedly on different instruments but I can't believe there's not a less indelicate of way of interpreting Cabezon on harpsichord.) 

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on July 28, 2017, 10:33:11 PM

I'd say it's well worth hearing these Cabezon performances by Anne Landa, which are marked by a combination of seriousness, lyricism, introspection and tenderness. Not the slightest whiff of the Spanish Inquisition.  This is the sort of CD to hear late at night by candlelight . . .

Requoting just to note that this recording gets better and better with repeated listening. Well worth hearing, and not just by candlelight. Much better sound and experience losslessly rather than on Spotify.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on November 22, 2015, 05:07:54 AM

José Enrique Ayarra plays Arauxo on two organs in Seville, one at the cathedral and one in Osuna College Church. It's the second organ which is the real star of the show for me, the puppy on the right in this here image:

As you would expect, it's high and acid and full of dissonance and personality. And what's more Ayarra uses it for what sounds to me like a major masterpiece, a piece of music with a real distinctive character, Tiento 60 " de baxon de treinta y dos numeros al compas de segundo tono", whatever that means.

The title has made me think, probably quite unfairly, of somethink that Ochs says to butter up the Marschallin in Rosenkavalier "Da gibt's keine Flausen, keine Etikette, keine spanische Tuerei!"

Looking through a new edition of the facultad organica at a library, I noticed that Arauxo comments that this piece is intended to be played on a "Realejo" (Regal, or probably by extension small chamber organ) rather than a grand organ because the heavier touch and greater keydepth of a big organ might present difficulties for playing the 32 notes.

What do people make of Bates' recording of Arauxo?

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 05, 2018, 01:22:21 AM

What do people make of Bates' recording of Arauxo?

Too much swagger and not enough mysticism for me. Organs a bit disappointing compared with Ayaro who remains by top choice for a big set.

I just listened to the two of them in that Tiento LX, and there's a thing that I didn't notice before, to do with touch. Ayaro varies his touch much more, creating lots of interesting effects, Bates less so.

I also listened to the Las Vacas variations which follow Bates's Tiento LX and feel the same way I'm afraid.

Mandryka

One very striking thing about this recording of music by Ortiz, Cabezon and Ganassi by Fernando Marín is the sound of the bow on the string, beautifully captured, it makes listening a visceral, sensual pleasure. I'm not a great fan of Ortiz, so I won't comment, but I will say that Cabezon's the star, and it's a revelation to hear him played on a viol because suddenly the music becomes poetic - I mean fluid and humanely expressive rather than tough and angular and dry and bombastic.

Fernando Marín is a musician I will be following, I knew before a wonderful recording of Spanish  music for voice and viol, rapt and almost erotic with Nadine Balbeisi, who has the sort of voice I like.

Que

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 03, 2018, 03:55:19 PM

Played on the oldest playable organ in Spain.

And as far as I can see there is no other recording of the organ at Santa Maria church of Garrovillas de Alconétar. It sounds like the way an organ should sound in Arauxo!

Quote from: Que on May 03, 2018, 11:20:17 PM
And I expect Francesco Cera to do well....  :)

Q

Cera sounds as though he's enjoying himself to me, a mature and thought-through performance, warm and rich. I hope he can find a spirit of abandon and adventure in the music, and find an essence of each piece -- make each piece sound distinct. I think these have been the weaknesses in some of the other recordings I've heard from Cera.

https://www.youtube.com/v/jqK5gbmI9BM

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on May 04, 2018, 12:15:02 AM
And as far as I can see there is no other recording of the organ at Santa Maria church of Garrovillas de Alconétar. It sounds like the way an organ should sound in Arauxo!

Cera sounds as though he's enjoying himself to me, a mature and thought-through performance, warm and rich. I hope he can find a spirit of abandon and adventure in the music, and find an essence of each piece -- make each piece sound distinct. I think these have been the weaknesses in some of the other recordings I've heard from Cera.

https://www.youtube.com/v/jqK5gbmI9BM

Beautiful! I'm excited for it too. Never heard that organ before either...

Although I'm sure there are older organs in Spain

Calatayud, early 15th century, only a few original inner pipes and the case remains but still old

Daroca, Pascual de Mallén 1488 (My favorite Cabezon CD is recorded here!)

Zaragoza, Johan Ximénez Garcés 1444

But I guess these have been modified more over time
Sorry, just couldn't resist posting pictures of these beautiful Gothic organs!

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on May 04, 2018, 10:37:52 AM

Daroca, Pascual de Mallén 1488 (My favorite Cabezon CD is recorded here!)

Paulino Ortiz de Jocano?

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 04, 2018, 10:48:35 AM
Paulino Ortiz de Jocano?

Paulino ORTIZ DE JOCANO

• Colección de Música Antigua Española /8 •
A. de Cabezon : Verso y Kyries del cuarto tono; Diferencias sobre "El canto del cavallero"; Diferencias sobre "La Gallarda Milanesa"; Discante sobre La Pavana Italiana; D'ou vient cela; Tiento VIII del Octavo Tono; Fabordon del Cuarto Tono; Tiento III del Primer Tono; Tiento V del Segundo Tono; Tiento VII del Cuarto Tono; Tiento X del Primer Tono; Tiento IX del Quinto Tono
- Covarrubias, Daroca
- Disque Hispavox-Erato, 1968

Only LP it seems.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 04, 2018, 11:48:39 AM
Paulino ORTIZ DE JOCANO

• Colección de Música Antigua Española /8 •
A. de Cabezon : Verso y Kyries del cuarto tono; Diferencias sobre "El canto del cavallero"; Diferencias sobre "La Gallarda Milanesa"; Discante sobre La Pavana Italiana; D'ou vient cela; Tiento VIII del Octavo Tono; Fabordon del Cuarto Tono; Tiento III del Primer Tono; Tiento V del Segundo Tono; Tiento VII del Cuarto Tono; Tiento X del Primer Tono; Tiento IX del Quinto Tono
- Covarrubias, Daroca
- Disque Hispavox-Erato, 1968

Only LP it seems.

I have that on LP; it's excellent (although I will have to pull it out and hear it more.)
Here's part of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGkdq39MwX8

But I was thinking of this:

Mandryka

Ha, that one!

If anyone wants the whole of  Paulino ORTIZ DE JOCANO's transferred then they can PM me.

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 05, 2018, 07:19:50 AM
I had this in the radar for some time, but missed the chance in time.

What do you think of Uriol's other Cabexon CDs:

https://www.amazon.de/Antonio-Cabezon-J-l-Gonzales-Uriol/dp/B000059Q7V/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1525533465&sr=1-2&keywords=uriol

I just looked around, I didn't know the Cabezon CD I mentioned is effectively out of print (not counting MP3, other lossy formats on itunes)! I do have it lossless. I think the organ sound is very crisp and attractive, so it works well with the playing.
Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juI3JFgcYVM

As for the one you mentioned, I'm interested in it but I think it's OOP (as evidenced by the high prices charged). But it has a wider range of organs etc., seems very interesting.
I was less impressed by the other recordings of Uriol, though. But something about the Daroca organ just works well with him.

prémont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on May 05, 2018, 12:50:22 PM

As for the one you mentioned, I'm interested in it but I think it's OOP (as evidenced by the high prices charged). But it has a wider range of organs etc., seems very interesting.
I was less impressed by the other recordings of Uriol, though. But something about the Daroca organ just works well with him.

It can be had a bit cheaper here, if you do not want second hand:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Antonio-de-Cabezon-1500-1566-Orgelwerke/hnum/3277588

γνῶθι σεαυτόν