no. 4
8 (19.5%)
no. 5
18 (43.9%)
no. 6
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Symphonic Addict

Another vote for No. 5. I've only heard Nos. 4 and 5 live and both made a powerful impact on me. I even dare to say No. 5 is my all-time favorite symphony. No. 2 on the Chandos recording with Thomson conducting was absolutely amazing. I think the movements 1 and 3 contain the best music.

My current order is: 5, 4, 3, 2, 6, 1
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 14, 2021, 12:48:24 PM
Another vote for No. 5. I've only heard Nos. 4 and 5 live and both made a powerful impact on me. I even dare to say No. 5 is my all-time favorite symphony. No. 2 on the Chandos recording with Thomson conducting was absolutely amazing. I think the movements 1 and 3 contain the best music.

My current order is: 5, 4, 3, 2, 6, 1

Yes, I think Symphony No. 5 is masterpiece. There's nothing like it in the symphonic repertoire. What is your favorite performance of the 5th, Cesar? My vote goes to Bernstein/New York PO.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2021, 06:53:13 AM
Yes, I think Symphony No. 5 is masterpiece. There's nothing like it in the symphonic repertoire. What is your favorite performance of the 5th, Cesar? My vote goes to Bernstein/New York PO.

Rozhdestvensky/Royal Stockholm PO on Chandos would be my first go-to, then Bernstein/NYPO. The Rozhdestvensky may not be as exciting as the Bernstein, but his pacing in this symphony works quite well to me, especially in the climax of the 1st movement and in the ending of the piece. Glorious and truly cathartic. There is a recording with Horenstein and the New PO which, some say, is also quite convincing. I might need to get it.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky