Your Favorite Minuet and Trio

Started by springrite, September 04, 2013, 12:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

The minuet and trio, once a stable but now so overshadowed by the Scherzo, remain one of my favorite sections of a musical composition. I always look forward to it. I am especially glad when I am surprised by a minuet and trio in a romantic period or later composition!

However, as much as I enjoy them, I do not seems to remember them in detail as much as I'd remember, say, the beginning of a symphony, the finale or, the Scherzo!

What are some of your favorite Minuet and Trios?

I will throw one out of the hat: Mozart Symphony #39.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Opus106

K. 421 - it's the string quartet in D minor. Rather sombre stuff, the M., compared to your regular M-T pairing. And it's probably the most memorable part of the first (western classical) concert I attended.
Regards,
Navneeth

TheGSMoeller

Haydn Symphony No. 80
Haydn SQ Op. 76, No. 2 "Fifths"

Sergeant Rock

The fifth movement, second minuet, from the D major Divertimento K.131: Minuetto-Trio I-Minuetto-Trio II-Minuetto. Mozart employs a horn quartet, a rarity in that age, and they take the lead. It's rather simple and stately: a true courtly dance. This was the first piece of music from the Classical era I really liked.

Mahler Symphony #1 D major second movement: Kräftig bewegt, doch nicht zu schnell. Recht gemächlich (Trio)

Haydn Symphony #93 G major.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

springrite

Parsifal

Quote from: springrite on September 04, 2013, 04:20:52 AM
Yes! I like this one!

Mozart, Symphony No 40.  I like the introduction of contrapuntal elements into the dance form, and the use of horns in the trio.

Another favorite is Mozart's string quartet KV464, in A major (the 5th "Haydn" quartet).

Brahmsian

Mozart's K.499 String Quartet in D major "Hoffmeister"

mszczuj

Ah, minuets! I would really wish to hear music to this dance famous for its gracefulness. Alas! all the minuets were stolen once and replaced with some bombastic marches written with exactly the same notes.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: mszczuj on September 04, 2013, 09:34:17 AM
Ah, minuets! I would really wish to hear music to this dance famous for its gracefulness. Alas! all the minuets were stolen once and replaced with some bombastic marches written with exactly the same notes.

That darn Ludwig..    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Klaze

I really really like the 3rd movement from Schubert's Piano Sonata D958. The initial theme is already somewhat haunting, and then it becomes more mysterious with those silent bar interruptions.

aquablob

Quote from: Klaze on September 04, 2013, 01:01:53 PM
I really really like the 3rd movement from Schubert's Piano Sonata D958. The initial theme is already somewhat haunting, and then it becomes more mysterious with those silent bar interruptions.

I'll second this choice, and add the minuets from Beethoven's piano sonatas Opp. 10/3 and 31/3. Also the third movement of Beethoven's 8th Symphony.

dyn

Beethoven's Op. 59 no. 3 and (although it's not a minuet in the traditional sense) the Alla danza tedesca from Op. 130. Also the minuet (without trio) from the Diabelli Variations.

mc ukrneal

There is a whole disc of Haydn Minuets for those interested...
[asin]B000AL8ZE2[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Dancing Divertimentian

The two minuets from Mozart's great "Divertimento" K. 563 are particular favorites.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

jochanaan

Ravel, from Le Tombeau de Couperin. ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Brahmsian

Not sure if it is a true minuet (or more of a scherzo), but I love the 3rd movement of Beethoven's String Quartet # 3 in D major, Op. 18

springrite

Florestan