William Bolcom

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, September 04, 2013, 07:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

This composer seems to lack his own thread, and a couple of recent events piqued my interest in him. So here goes.

I heard a string quartet play 3 rags he had adapted for that medium (apparently there are a lot more where they came from). Then I picked up a Nonesuch LP (never re-released) featuring his organ/percussion work Black Host. This is some weird, creepy music. It starts out in slow organ-horror movie mode, then comes a fast section blending some ragtime, manipulated electronic noises (people shouting, etc), and percussive bangs! Wild stuff here.

Other than these interesting examples, I've not heard anything from him. Thoughts?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

snyprrr

THE BOLCOM-OVER!!

There's that old Argo disc and the NewWorld disc with the Symphonies that I haven't heard yet.

He's one of those prolific ones that has too much stuff so you don't know where to start (though I'd try those two albums above first). He's into 'rags' a lot; isn't he the one who re-discovered that stuff?

Mr. Americana?

Some Film Music too I believe...

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on September 06, 2013, 07:18:32 AM
He's into 'rags' a lot; isn't he the one who re-discovered that stuff?

Yeah, I think so. I am interested in hearing more of his rags; the first impression was positive. I also have a record of him playing Gershwin on the piano. It's pretty good.

Black Host does sound like a very 60s-ish composition, with its electronics and bows to "let it all hang out" psychedelics.

lescamil

It would be unfair to say that Bolcom "rediscovered" the rag. He would probably be the first to point you toward his late friend William Albright, who has his share of "revived" rags (and I like his a lot better, honestly). However, I do have a soft spot for Bolcom's Ghost Rags, especially The Poltergeist. Take a listen (and a watch) to this great performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGov3KG1JCE
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: lescamil on September 06, 2013, 10:03:15 AM
his late friend William Albright, who has his share of "revived" rags

Interesting to know. The flip side of Black Host is some organ music by Albright. I'd never heard of him before. Will plan to give it a listen soon.

kyjo

Bolcom is an interesting composer for sure. The eclectic nature nature of his music can be enjoyable but sometimes rather frustrating for me. My favorite works of his come from his serious (but no less eclectic) side: Symphonies 3-5, the VC and the vast Songs of Innocence and Inexperience.

snyprrr

Quote from: kyjo on September 06, 2013, 11:01:22 AM
Bolcom is an interesting composer for sure. The eclectic nature nature of his music can be enjoyable but sometimes rather frustrating for me. My favorite works of his come from his serious (but no less eclectic) side: Symphonies 3-5, the VC and the vast Songs of Innocence and Inexperience.

You have the Argo and NewWorld discs? Aaaand?...

kyjo

Quote from: snyprrr on September 08, 2013, 12:08:55 PM
You have the Argo and NewWorld discs? Aaaand?...

......they're great discs which I recommend as introductions to Bolcom's sound-world:

[asin]B00000E4W3[/asin]   [asin]B0043KFDWS[/asin]

I also recommend:

[asin]B0016CEOAI[/asin]   [asin]B000QQR9DE[/asin]

vandermolen

I just discovered this composer - through his extraordinary Piano Concerto coupled with Bernstein's 'Age of Anxiety' on Hyperion. Its a mad hotch-potch of styles, at times showing the influence of Charles Ives, Gershwin, Copland and  juxtaposing eloquent and poetic sections (such as the memorable opening) with jazz, dance music, popular American songs etc. Anyway, I really enjoyed it and would like to discover more of this composer:
[asin]B00004WMWR[/asin]
I like this CD very much, not least for the wonderful Edward Hopper painting on the front.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 16, 2018, 02:20:15 PM
I just discovered this composer - through his extraordinary Piano Concerto coupled with Bernstein's 'Age of Anxiety' on Hyperion. Its a mad hotch-potch of styles, at times showing the influence of Charles Ives, Gershwin, Copland and  juxtaposing eloquent and poetic sections (such as the memorable opening) with jazz, dance music, popular American songs etc. Anyway, I really enjoyed it and would like to discover more of this composer:

Interesting. They're doing his 4th Symphony and part of the 5th on the same concert at Grant Park this summer. Haven't heard either one - anyone here know 'em?

QuoteI like this CD very much, not least for the wonderful Edward Hopper painting on the front.

Ah yes, Nighthawks. I have a print of it hanging right here in my home office  :)

Cato

[asin]B00004WMWR[/asin]
I like this CD very much, not least for the wonderful Edward Hopper painting on the front.

In the good ol' days William Bolcom was pretty big!  He had several works for his wife, an opera singer named Joan Morris:

https://www.youtube.com/v/kYfU1t5YwoY

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kyjo

[asin]B00004WMWR[/asin]

Sounds quite interesting, Jeffrey! I know Bolcom's Symphony no. 8 for chorus and orchestra, which also contains a "garden variety" of styles. There are some passages which are overly dissonant for my tastes, but overall it's a really enjoyable, exciting, and unique work. It's available on this CD:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Thanks guys for the responses and Leo for the musical extract. I found a second hand copy on the Violin Concerto (which sounded really rather good on You Tube) and Symphony 5 ( seen above in an earlier post by Kyle) remarkably on an inexpensive Argo CD. I agree Kyle that rather forbidding moments are juxtaposed with poetic music and yes I love that 'Nighthawks' painting by Hopper.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Rags? I am thinking more cabaret.

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Also, the performance of 'The Age of Anxiety' is very good on the Hyperion CD. The Bolcom Piano Concerto has, however, been a major discovery for me. I love the way that it opens up, after the Bernstein work - as the jazzy/bluesy ostinato insinuates its way into one's consciousness.

Cato

[asin]B00004WMWR[/asin]

Behold the glory of Classical Music: American composers, a pianist from Quebec, an Irish orchestra, and a conductor from Azerbaijan!  8) How cool is that?!  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on May 17, 2018, 02:19:03 PM
Behold the glory of Classical Music: American composers, a pianist from Quebec, an Irish orchestra, and a conductor from Azerbaijan!  8) How cool is that?!  8)

Very cool indeed Leo! Thanks for pointing that out.
:)

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on May 17, 2018, 02:19:03 PM
Also a British CD label., 8)

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on May 17, 2018, 09:18:52 PM
Also a British CD label., 8)

Just part of the special relationship!  8)

And thanks to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/v/dZxoAIlXiq0

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I have seen this name floating around and I have wondered a bit about this composer. It seems quite well and good for the fans to discuss recordings, but I would be interested to know what the fans can tell us (the unenlightened 8) ) about Bolcom.