Heard for the First Time Today...

Started by Greta, April 12, 2007, 06:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greta

Here's a thread where we can list or discuss works we heard for the first time today (or in the last 24 hours), I think there was a thread similar on the old forum?

Here are mine from yesterday:

John C. Adams
Century Rolls (for Piano and Orchestra) (Ax, piano)

Liked this a lot! I'm fast becoming a big John Adams fan. Fun, fun. Adams' modern and colorful take on turn-of-the-century piano roll music. The last mvmt accomplished that mission the best. But the 1st mvmt was my favorite. His whimsical rhythms and sense of energy and flow really set him apart. Somehow with his music I often get the feeling that it might accompany flying quite well. ;D

Franz Berwald
Sinfonie Singuliere (No. 3)

I had never heard of this composer, but I liked this work. A nice surprise!
It had a lightness and clarity that reminded me to Sibelius, building to an exciting brassy ending.
This was conducted by Ulf Bjorlin with the Royal Phil, is Berwald from Scandanvia?

MishaK

Quote from: Greta on April 12, 2007, 06:06:52 AM
Franz Berwald

It had a lightness and clarity that reminded me to Sibelius, building to an exciting brassy ending.
This was conducted by Ulf Bjorlin with the Royal Phil, is Berwald from Scandanvia?

Indeed, he is. Swedish. I have a very fine disc of Markevitch conducting Berwald's Nos. 3&4 coupled withc Schubert 4 with the BPO.

karlhenning

Tippett
Concerto for Violin, Viola and Cello
Concerto for Piano

I like both these, a lot of interesting color, good energy.

Greta

Listening to digital cable radio and this came on:

Lyapunov
Piano Concerto No. 2
Boris Khalkin, conductor, USSR Radio and TV Orch.

My, is this gorgeous! Such a lush and decadent concerto. Another composer I've never heard of.

A fine performance - but the pianist wasn't listed! :(

Anyone else have digital cable and use the Music Choice service? It offers channels in many genres and you can see the name of the piece, composer, and performers on the screen during the piece, along with facts about the composer or performers. Funny mistakes crop up however, such as "In 1989, Elgar married one of his music students which had a profound effect on his career."  LOL! 

Their classical channel is really quite nice. It's geared to Romantic and Classical periods, but within those they play many lesser known composers. This morning included Paillard, Kraus, Berwald, Lyapunov, and now another new name to me-

Hellendaal
Concerto Grosso VI in F Major

Vivaldi-like, a spirited piece.

Harry

Here's a thread where we can list or discuss works we heard for the first time today (or in the last 24 hours), I think there was a thread similar on the old forum?

Here are mine from yesterday:

John L. Adams
Century Rolls (for Piano and Orchestra) (Ax, piano)

Liked this a lot! I'm fast becoming a big John Adams fan. Fun, fun. Adams' modern and colorful take on turn-of-the-century piano roll music. The last mvmt accomplished that mission the best. But the 1st mvmt was my favorite. His whimsical rhythms and sense of energy and flow really set him apart. Somehow with his music I often get the feeling that it might accompany flying quite well. ;D

Franz Berwald

That's a very good recording with the music from Berwald. :)

lukeottevanger

Quote from: karlhenning on April 12, 2007, 07:19:16 AM
Tippett
Concerto for Piano

Today was really the day you lost your Triple Concerto flower, Karl?  ;D Ah, happy memories - I'm rather jealous. What a fabulously coloured and structured piece, such wonderful material too. Tippett's most lyrical work, without exception, I think, and I'm including the earlier works in that assessment. The Piano Concerto is not far behind it either, I think.

not edward

Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 12, 2007, 01:35:43 PM
Today was really the day you lost your Triple Concerto flower, Karl?  ;D Ah, happy memories - I'm rather jealous. What a fabulously coloured and structured piece, such wonderful material too. Tippett's most lyrical work, without exception, I think, and I'm including the earlier works in that assessment. The Piano Concerto is not far behind it either, I think.
Hmm...I've never heard the Triple Concerto. Recommendations?
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

lukeottevanger

The one Karl listened to will do fine, IMO. That's one seductive work - watch your step! ;)

SonicMan46

Franz Berwald

Greta - I'm just beginning to explore Berwald, myself - have enjoyed virtually all that I've purchased to date, including:

Piano Quintets w/ Lundin-Uppasala Chamber group on Naxos (8.553970)
Piano Trios w/ Prunyi et al on Naxos (8.555501)
Piano & String Duos w/ Lundin et al on Naxos (8.554286)
Symphonies w/ Goodman & Swedish Orchestra on Hyperion Dyad (22043) - great bargin 2-CD set
String Quartets w/ Yggdrasil Quartet on BIS (759)

Nearly all of these are superb & at bargin prices - highly recommended!  :D

karlhenning

Quote from: karlhenning on April 12, 2007, 07:19:16 AM
Tippett
Concerto for Piano

I like both these, a lot of interesting color, good energy.

Luke & Edward, I went back to these again yester evening;  they've won me over immediately.

And now, for the first time:

Saint-Saëns
Phaéton, Opus 39