Which is which

Started by JBS, July 10, 2023, 07:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one do you think is the philosopher and which the schoolmaster?

Philosopher on left Schoolmaster on right
Schoolmaster on left Philosopher on right

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

If we are guided by the order of the symphonies, the philosopher is on the left and the schoolmaster on the right and it does look like that to me.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

KevinP

One doesn't have a care in the world; the other has the burden of never-ending work to do.

Pretty clear to me.

Jo498

also one has a cane, he is the schoolmaster. In Lortzing's Wildschütz the schoolmaster is called "Baculus" (cane, stick) because this apparently was his most important tool of trade...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Quote from: Jo498 on July 10, 2023, 10:53:18 PMalso one has a cane, he is the schoolmaster. In Lortzing's Wildschütz the schoolmaster is called "Baculus" (cane, stick) because this apparently was his most important tool of trade...
That's my basis. He looks like a disciplinarian and has the proper tool.

JBS

But perhaps he's pacing back and forth pondering metaphysics while the prosperous schoolmaster goes over his roster of students, smiling at how many of them he will have the pleasure of giving a failing grade.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: JBS on July 11, 2023, 03:26:55 PMBut perhaps he's pacing back and forth pondering metaphysics while the prosperous schoolmaster goes over his roster of students, smiling at how many of them he will have the pleasure of giving a failing grade.
Indeed. I know which one Kierkegaard looks like in my mind  ;D