Top 10 Symphony Slow Movements

Started by kyjo, September 13, 2013, 05:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Re: Mahler 3. Which movement do you consider is the slow one, Brian ? I have a feeling you think of the last, yes ? To me the oasis of repose in the work is the 'O Mensch'  (4th movement), not the Adagio finale. Conversely, in the 9th I think the slow movement is the last, as there is no slow middle movement. Some might think there is no slow movement per se in that work, though.  :)

Brian

Quote from: André on August 10, 2020, 07:21:27 AM
Re: Mahler 3. Which movement do you consider is the slow one, Brian ? I have a feeling you think of the last, yes ? To me the oasis of repose in the work is the 'O Mensch'  (4th movement), not the Adagio finale. Conversely, in the 9th I think the slow movement is the last, as there is no slow middle movement. Some might think there is no slow movement per se in that work, though.  :)
whoops, I should have said, yes - the last. :)

Symphonic Addict

Time for an update:

Korngold: Symphony in F sharp
Bruckner: Symphony No. 7
Mahler: Symphony No. 6
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5
Elgar: Symphony No. 2
Schmidt: Symphony No. 4
Myaskovsky: Symphony No. 27
Glazunov: Symphony No. 2 (or Symphony No. 8 )
Sibelius: Symphony No. 1

Moeran: Symphony in G minor
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 27, 2023, 06:57:04 PMTime for an update:

Korngold: Symphony in F sharp
Bruckner: Symphony No. 7
Mahler: Symphony No. 6
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5
Elgar: Symphony No. 2
Schmidt: Symphony No. 4
Myaskovsky: Symphony No. 27
Glazunov: Symphony No. 2 (or Symphony No. 8 )
Sibelius: Symphony No. 1

Moeran: Symphony in G minor
Nice list Cesar - I also find the Moeran very moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

OK, let's have another go:

Tubin: Symphony No.5
Prokofiev: Symphony No.5
Atterberg: Symphony No.8
Walton: Symphony No.2
Khachaturian: Symphony No.2
Miaskovsky: Symphony No.17
Gordon Jacob: Symphony No.1 (in memory of his brother killed in the First World War)
Samuel Barber: Symphony No.2 'Night Flight'
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.8
Rootham: Symphony No.1

I've tried to avoid repeating my earlier choices.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

In no order other than the one I think of them:

Korngold - Symphony in F sharp (III)
Bruckner - Symphony No. 8 (III)
Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 1 (II)
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 11 (III)
Mahler - Symphony No. 9 (IV)
Elgar - Symphony No. 2 (II)
Myaskovsky - Symphony No. 27 (II)
Atterberg - Symphony No. 2 (II)
Rachmaninov - Symphony No. 2 (III)
Villa-Lobos - Symphony No. 3 (III)

kyjo

Quote from: kyjo on May 26, 2020, 12:38:50 PMToday's list:

Alfven 3
Andreae in C
Arnold 5
Atterberg 4
Braga Santos 2
Bruckner 9
Dvorak 7
Lloyd 6
Prokofiev 5
Vaughan Williams 2

As always, impossible to choose just 10!

I'm still quite content with this list, although I think I'll replace Atterberg 4 with 2 and Lloyd 6 with 5 (IV.Lamento). Also, I'll throw in Schmidt 4 instead of Bruckner 9 and Rachmaninoff 2 instead of Arnold 5. I don't feel too bad for leaving the Korngold Symphony off since multiple other members have included it. :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

lunar22

ten is far too few but below are some of my favourites: 

Bruckner 6
Bruckner 9
Mahler 10
Brincken 4
Rachmaninov 2
Schmidt 2 (2nd movemement -- OK not slow throughout but could be replaced with Schmidt 4 if necessary)
Shosty 15
Alfven 2
Arnold 2
Dvorak 6

kyjo

Quote from: lunar22 on June 02, 2023, 12:08:21 AMten is far too few but below are some of my favourites: 

Bruckner 6
Bruckner 9
Mahler 10
Brincken 4
Rachmaninov 2
Schmidt 2 (2nd movemement -- OK not slow throughout but could be replaced with Schmidt 4 if necessary)
Shosty 15
Alfven 2
Arnold 2
Dvorak 6

Inspired choices! I recall the deeply-felt slow movement of the Brincken definitely being the highlight of that work. I'd replace Alfven 2 with 3 and Dvorak 6 with 7 or 8. :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

lunar22

well, I already wrote something on Alfven 3 and I know exactly what you mean! It's virtually a toss up between Dvorak 6 and 7 but as 7 is generally recognised as his masterpiece, I thought I'd just be awkward.

vandermolen

Let's have another go

Tovey: Symphony
Prokofiev: Symphony 5
Bruckner: Symphony No.9
Mahler: Symphony No.9
NYM: Symphony No.27
Roy Harris: Symphony No.6 'Gettysburg'
Piston: Symphony No.2
VW: Symphony No.6 (Finale)
Popov: Symphony No.2 'Motherland'

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 13, 2023, 12:31:23 PMLet's have another go

Tovey: Symphony
Prokofiev: Symphony 5
Bruckner: Symphony No.9
Mahler: Symphony No.9
NYM: Symphony No.27
Roy Harris: Symphony No.6 'Gettysburg'
Piston: Symphony No.2
VW: Symphony No.6 (Finale)
Popov: Symphony No.2 'Motherland'

Nice list, Jeffrey, especially the Prokofiev and Piston selections. Tovey's symphony really needs a more convincing recording than the one it receieves on Toccata Classics, IMHO.

Keemun

Here's my list, in alphabetical order:

Beethoven 3
Bruckner 7
Bruckner 8
Bruckner 9
Mahler 5
Rachmaninov 2
Saint Saens 3
Schmidt 4
Tchaikovsky 6
Vaughan Williams 5
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

foxandpeng

I can't do this one. You guys are too clever for me...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy