Henry Brant (1913-2008)

Started by 7/4, September 14, 2013, 04:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/4

QuoteIn honor of Henry Brant's centenary, innova would like to share a wealth of live unpublished recordings of his work to supplement the ongoing CD series, The Henry Brant Collection: http://www.innova.mu/artist/henry-brant

https://soundcloud.com/innovadotmu/sets/henry-brant-centenary

snyprrr

Y'know you're going to have to change the Thread Title to 'Brant's Rant', right?

'Brant's Ant Can't Rant'

There's too many works in that series. What are the Top3 Brant pieces. I only ever had 'Ghost Nets' which didn't do all that much for me.

7/4

Quote from: snyprrr on September 14, 2013, 05:57:24 AMThere's too many works in that series. What are the Top3 Brant pieces. I only ever had 'Ghost Nets' which didn't do all that much for me.

That's a link to hifi streaming audio. Try the flute choir Angels And Devils.

Dax

Many thanks for that link. Brant is seriously underrated - or insufficiently known (e.g., in UK).

7/4

snyprrr

Quote from: 7/4 on September 15, 2013, 04:47:43 AM
That's a link to hifi streaming audio. Try the flute choir Angels And Devils.

mm... really?... I shy away from massed solo winds, but...

San Antone

Bump.

Here's a clip with Brant talking about spatial concepts for musical composition.  His works using multiple ensembles in various arrangements and playing independently with their own conductors, pre-dated Stockhausen's Gruppen by several years.  He wrote over 100 compositions with spatial elements.  But Brant was quick to point out that he and other 20th century composers writing spatially were not new or revolutionary; composers have been using the spatial attribute for music for centuries.

https://www.youtube.com/v/fmi3uEHH8oM

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on February 23, 2014, 09:39:42 AM
Beating a dead horse and not seeing the full picture with clarity. The full scope of Gruppen was a groundbreaking work though, a true landmark of 20th century music and a bonafide masterwork .. it has very little to do with earlier music  .. and it alone outdid everything this Brant guy could do or come up with. And then Stockhausen moved on.

Zzzzzzz......

"Competitions are for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2014, 09:48:10 AM
Zzzzzzz......

lolz

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on February 23, 2014, 09:56:27 AM
Some folks are just way better at things than others. - James

Your cluelessness about music and general lack of appreciation for music that doesn't fit into the "James bubble" continues to make you look like a fool. So carry on, clown.

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2014, 09:48:10 AM

I have not seen that quote from Bartok before but I agree with it completely.  For me, music is not a zero sum game; the fact that one composer is considered great does not cancel out another composer's work.  If someone wishes to limit their musical exposure to only those composers, or performers, or recordings, considered great (either by themselves or by consensus), that is certainly a valid approach to listening or studying classical music.  But speaking for myself, I am not so interested in greatness and prefer to discover as many composers and their music as I can.  Where they fall in the history of music or their relative importance is something other people can attempt to decide.  That kind of appraisal is not nearly as important to me as simply experiencing their music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on February 23, 2014, 11:54:08 AM
I have not seen that quote from Bartok before but I agree with it completely.  For me, music is not a zero sum game; the fact that one composer is considered great does not cancel out another composer's work.  If someone wishes to limit their musical exposure to only those composers, or performers, or recordings, considered great (either by themselves or by consensus), that is certainly a valid approach to listening or studying classical music.  But speaking for myself, I am not so interested in greatness and prefer to discover as many composers and their music as I can.  Where they fall in the history of music or their relative importance is something other people can attempt to decide.  That kind of appraisal is not nearly as important to me as simply experiencing their music.

I agree, SA. For me, there's just too much good music out there to worry about who's the 'best' or the most 'profound' or is the best in their respected expertise. I just want to listen to the music and enjoy it on an intellectual/emotional level. Everything else is secondary and/or not of any use for me.

amw

I think my favourite Brant piece so far is Orbits, for 80 trombones + organ. It was recently put on at the Guggenheim in NYC but the youtube videos don't quite do the piece justice so here's an LP transcription from the good folks at A Closet of Curiosities:

[audio]http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32084883/01%20Orbits%20copy.mp3[/audio]

(Do also check out the videos if you want to see how such a thing might be performed live)

San Antone

Quote from: amw on February 23, 2014, 12:55:18 PM
I think my favourite Brant piece so far is Orbits, for 80 trombones + organ. It was recently put on at the Guggenheim in NYC but the youtube videos don't quite do the piece justice so here's an LP transcription from the good folks at A Closet of Curiosities:

[audio]http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32084883/01%20Orbits%20copy.mp3[/audio]

(Do also check out the videos if you want to see how such a thing might be performed live)

Maybe I overlooked it but I did not find any Henry Brant on that page you linked.

EDIT: I searched the site and found it.  (For some reason the GMG mp3 player doesn't work on my computer.)

amw

I used the embedded audio player, which is a little buggy. Sometimes you have to hit the "reply" button to open up the new reply window, then click on the thread title at the top of the page, to make it show up.

If you like downloads, you can also click here.

San Antone

Quote from: amw on February 23, 2014, 01:13:25 PM
I used the embedded audio player, which is a little buggy. Sometimes you have to hit the "reply" button to open up the new reply window, then click on the thread title at the top of the page, to make it show up.

If you like downloads, you can also click here.

Ah.  Okay I got the player to work by following those steps.  I also downloaded the work.  It is very nice, thanks for sharing; that site looks very interesting as well.

Mr Bloom

snyprrr

Quote from: Mr Bloom on February 23, 2014, 03:11:58 PM
... to outer space.

Pass the popcorn please! :laugh:

Quote from: James on February 23, 2014, 09:56:27 AM
Some folks are just way better at things than others. - James

You're getting better with your come-backs! ;)  ahhhh you and MI, so delicious together, haha!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on February 23, 2014, 04:48:15 PM

You're getting better with your come-backs! ;)  ahhhh you and MI, so delicious together, haha!!

Yeah, I just love it when he replies "Grow up." He has actually replied this to me twice in the past two days. Yep, he has a way with words. Definitely an heir to Shakespeare. :P

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2014, 04:51:47 PM
Yeah, I just love it when he replies "Grow up." He has actually replied this to me twice in the past two days. Yep, he has a way with words. Definitely an heir to Shakespeare. :P

groweth up thou!

You missed JdP here didn't you- GMG's most contrary member to date (I'm assuming)- you guys would have made beeeautiful music together! I wonder if we can dig up an old Thread?,...

James has his quest. I can walk with him to the 'Helikopter Quartet', but that's where I must get off the bus! haha- I DO think it should be mandatory that all members' personals should be listed so that we know what everyone looks like, how old and fat they are, etc., just so, at least, the insults will be appropriate!

"Oh, no WONDER you like Menotti."

Notice how the Brant Thread became the "Not the Brant Thread"!