Top 10 Favorite Tone Poems

Started by kyjo, September 14, 2013, 01:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Wanderer on September 17, 2013, 11:49:07 AM
Martinů: Les fresques de Piero della Francesca

Pounds the table! A fine work indeed and apart of a trilogy along with Parables and Estampes (his last orchestral work).

kyjo

Quote from: Wanderer on September 17, 2013, 11:49:07 AM
One per composer and in no particular order:

Scriabin: Promethée, le poème du feu
R. Strauss: Don Quixote
Rimsky-Korsakov: Shéhérazade
Respighi: Feste romane
Sibelius: The Wood-Nymph
Zemlinsky: Die Seejungfrau
Debussy: La mer
Janáček: Taras Bulba
Martinů: Les fresques de Piero della Francesca
Mussorgsky: Night on Bald Mountain (original version)

Table-pounding list! All works which I adore except for the Strauss. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 17, 2013, 12:31:18 PM
Table-pounding list! All works which I adore except for the Strauss. :)

Yeah, like most Strauss, it's superficial junk.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 17, 2013, 12:38:44 PM

I will protect you should you receive a shelling from the Strauss fans! :P

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 17, 2013, 12:41:12 PM
I will protect you should you receive a shelling from the Strauss fans! :P

Bring it on! :)

Cato

Using stream of consciousness...

First thing which came to mind: Schoenberg's Pelleas und Melisande.

Then: Rachmaninov's Isle of the Dead.

And then: Tchaikovsky's Francesca da Rimini.

Followed by: Scriabin's Prefatory Action/Universe (One movement, not the 2-CD version).

After that: Smetana's Moldau and Rachmaninov's Prince Rostislav

Finally: Gershwin's An American in Paris, Julian Carrillo's Christopher Columbus, Penderecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, Liszt's Les Preludes.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

TheGSMoeller

Any and all tone poems by GMG's favorite, Richard Strauss  ;D

and then add Rachmaninov: Isle of the Dead

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 17, 2013, 12:38:44 PM

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 17, 2013, 03:39:37 PM
Any and all tone poems by GMG's favorite, Richard Strauss  ;D

Touché! Thank you, Monkey Greg  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kyjo

Quote from: Cato on September 17, 2013, 01:37:40 PM
Julian Carrillo's Christopher Columbus

Where is this work available? I've heard of Carrillo, but I've never heard any of his music.

Cato

Quote from: kyjo on September 17, 2013, 03:49:41 PM
Where is this work available? I've heard of Carrillo, but I've never heard any of his music.

Ask and ye shall receive!  YouTube is amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/v/lOihGnn6HoE
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kyjo

Quote from: Cato on September 17, 2013, 04:41:03 PM

Thanks very much, Cato! Yes, YouTube is amazing! 8)

vandermolen

I should have included Sir John Blackwood McEwen's valedictory 'Where the Wild Thyme Blows' an intensely moving Siberian work from 1936 (on a very good Chandos disc of McEwen's music, containing the fine 'Solway Symphony'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 22, 2013, 12:23:29 AMan intensely moving Siberian work

Wilde thyme in Siberia? Or should we think of Sibelius?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on September 22, 2013, 04:14:56 AM
Wilde thyme in Siberia? Or should we think of Sibelius?  ::)

Excellent point! My school have kindly furnished me with an 'iPad' which has a mind of its own and decides independently what word to use, regardless of what I actually type.  It is rather like 'HAL' in the film 2001 A Space Odyssey. Yes, I meant 'sibelian'.  :)

PS I am listening to Miaskovsky Symphony 8, the slow movement of which I once saw described as a kind of 'Delius of the Steppes' so these unlikely juxtapositions are possible!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Quote from: Cato on September 17, 2013, 04:41:03 PM

I associate Colon more with a kind of postludio....

vandermolen

I should not have left out the magnificent 'Nadir' by Philip Sainton. It quotes from Lao Tze on the title page and was written after Sainton witnessed the death of a child in a bombing raid on Bristol during World War Two. I cannot recommend this moving and defiant work strongly enough. The booklet note rightly associates the sound world with the Vaughan Williams of Symphony 4, but also there are associations with Novak and Suk. Just before it was premiered in 1949, Barbirolli's wrote to Sainton: We ran through Nadir...it sounded really splendid and very moving in its tragic intensity... If you like it try Sainton's Baxian 'The Island' on the same excellent Chandos double album (with another great work 'The Trees so High' by Patrick Hadley) - one of my very favourite albums. After the despairing central section of 'Nadir' Sainton quotes from Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, with much the same effect as Martinu does at the end of his 'Memorial to Lidice' or Shostakovich does at the end of the 'Leningrad Symphony'.

Another major omission is Erik Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante'.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 22, 2013, 04:56:08 AM
Excellent point! My school have kindly furnished me with an 'iPad' which has a mind of its own and decides independently what word to use, regardless of what I actually type.  It is rather like 'HAL' in the film 2001 A Space Odyssey. Yes, I meant 'sibelian'.  :)

PS I am listening to Miaskovsky Symphony 8, the slow movement of which I once saw described as a kind of 'Delius of the Steppes' so these unlikely juxtapositions are possible!

The autocorrection of my iPad does the same trick, but insists of turning them into Dutch. With some rather embarrassing results, given the many false relations between the two Germanic languages.  ::)

Both Delius and Sibelius leave me Siberian though.  >:D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on September 22, 2013, 06:18:47 AM
I should not have left out the magnificent 'Nadir' by Philip Sainton. It quotes from Lao Tze on the title page and was written after Sainton witnessed the death of a child in a bombing raid on Bristol during World War Two. I cannot recommend this moving and defiant work strongly enough. The booklet note rightly associates the sound world with the Vaughan Williams of Symphony 4, but also there are associations with Novak and Suk. Just before it was premiered in 1949, Barbirolli's wrote to Sainton: We ran through Nadir...it sounded really splendid and very moving in its tragic intensity... If you like it try Sainton's Baxian 'The Island' on the same excellent Chandos double album (with another great work 'The Trees so High' by Patrick Hadley) - one of my very favourite albums. After the despairing central section of 'Nadir' Sainton quotes from Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, with much the same effect as Martinu does at the end of his 'Memorial to Lidice' or Shostakovich does at the end of the 'Leningrad Symphony'.

Another major omission is Erik Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante'.
The Sainton/Hadley double is extremely cheap on presto now, so I ordered it. And the Chisholm is a very fine work; I have the Dutton.

kyjo

Definitely agree with Jeffrey about the beauty and power of the Sainton, Hadley and Chisholm works. BTW I'm really tempted to start another top 10 thread, but I'm trying to constrain myself.......

North Star

There will soon be a 'Top 10 kyjo Top 10s' thread...  ::)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr