Top 10 Favorite VCs

Started by kyjo, September 15, 2013, 06:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: North Star on June 04, 2014, 12:59:10 PM
I've avoided it, too  0:)

Same here. But I guess I really should look it up.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Dancing Divertimentian

Britten
Sibelius
Walton
Beethoven
Tchaikovsky
Mozart's 5th
Bartok's 2nd
Stravinsky
Brahms
Martinu's 1st

Oops, both of Prokofiev's.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: North Star on June 05, 2014, 01:18:00 PM
I guess I should hear that.  :-X :-[

Yeah, it's not so well known (what else is new?) but I'm happy to be acquainted with it.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

ZauberdrachenNr.7

This caused some hurt :

Berg
Brahms
Bruch 1st
Janáček
Martinů 2nd
Prokofiev 2nd
Saint-Saëns 3rd
Sibelius
Stravinsky
Vieuxtemps 5th  (his are all wonderful and deserve better) 

and Korngold as my lagniappe.

amw

Bach E major
Bach A minor
Bach 2 violin concerto
Mendelssohn
Dvořák
Чайковский
Barber
Prokofiev G minor
Feldman
Someotherone

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on June 05, 2014, 04:26:30 PM
This caused some hurt :

Berg
Brahms
Bruch 1st
Janáček
Martinů 2nd
Prokofiev 2nd
Saint-Saëns 3rd
Sibelius
Stravinsky
Vieuxtemps 5th  (his are all wonderful and deserve better) 

and Korngold as my lagniappe.
Lagniappe.
Nice try.
Bzzzzzzt, over quota!

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Ken B on June 05, 2014, 06:33:10 PM
Bzzzzzzt, over quota!

Oh, the humanity!  10 (or 11) feels like I'm underquota!  To make it worse, the violin concerto is hands-down my favorite classical form.  Can't get enough of 'em. 

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on June 05, 2014, 06:45:59 PM
Oh, the humanity!  10 (or 11) feels like I'm underquota!  To make it worse, the violin concerto is hands-down my favorite classical form.  Can't get enough of 'em.
You haven't heard the Rochberg yet either I think ...  >:D

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Ken B on June 05, 2014, 07:04:12 PM
You haven't heard the Rochberg yet either I think ...  >:D

No, I haven't, depraved deprived music listener that I am - am ordering on your recommend.

EigenUser

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on June 05, 2014, 06:45:59 PM
Have you heard Piston 1? I love that piece, thanks to Ken. So American sounding!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on June 06, 2014, 03:22:34 AM
No, I haven't, depraved deprived music listener that I am - am ordering on your recommend.
You want the Naxos. The old Stern is an abridged version.

not edward

I feel certain I've answered this question before, but ...

First tier:
Brahms
Berg
Ligeti

Second tier:
Dutilleux
Hindemith
Martin
Prokofiev 1
DSCH 1
Stravinsky
Britten
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

jochanaan

Quote from: edward on June 07, 2014, 05:01:11 PM
I feel certain I've answered this question before, but ...

First tier:
Brahms
Berg
Ligeti

Second tier:
Dutilleux
Hindemith
Martin
Prokofiev 1
DSCH 1
Stravinsky
Britten
What?  Brahms and not Beethoven or Mendelssohn? :)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

North Star

Quote from: jochanaan on June 08, 2014, 07:47:41 AM
A sign of impeccable taste ;)
Of course the latter two are superb, too. Hm, now that I think about it, I might take the LvB over Brahms (not necessarily causing Brahms to drop from the list, though..)

My photographs on Flickr

not edward

Quote from: jochanaan on June 08, 2014, 07:47:41 AM
Mendelssohn is one of those who might have made it into the list if I'd listened to it more recently.

Beethoven, nope. I remain an unreconstructed Beethovenite--there's no composer I listen to more often--but I think the violin concerto is far from his best work.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: edward on June 08, 2014, 08:10:55 AM
Beethoven, nope. I remain an unreconstructed Beethovenite--there's no composer I listen to more often--but I think the violin concerto is far from his best work.

I feel exactly the opposite. B's VC is a gorgeous creation, but it might not give up its secrets easily. Rather paradoxically there's a certain restraint that's required to make the work sing, to come alive (for me, anyway). Barnstorming the work into being only diminishes its impact. If ever there were a B piece that needed to sing like a country song, the VC is it.

Karl Henning

The LvB Violin Concerto is certainly a sunderer of opinion!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mn dave

I like LvB's concerto, and easily. I don't know what's wrong with you other people.

;)

North Star

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 09, 2014, 10:55:38 AM
I like LvB's concerto, and easily. I don't know what's wrong with you other people.
+1.  8)

My photographs on Flickr