Top 10 Favorite Quintets

Started by TheGSMoeller, September 17, 2013, 03:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochanaan

To these I'd add "Summer music" by Samuel Barber, for woodwinds and horn; the Partita by Irving Fine, also for winds; and Hovhaness' Wind Quintet. (I've performed the Fine and rehearsed the others.)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

vandermolen

Bloch Piano Quintet No 1
Vaughan Williams Phantasy Quintet
Weinberg Piano Quintet
Shostakovich Piano Quintet

er...that's it  ::)

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Ooh. I haven't noticed this topic before. This may be a wonderful excuse to go and listen to all the ones that I have, because there is something particularly wonderful about quintets.

I know 2 that will make my list, because Faure's first piano quintet and Beethoven's string quintet op.29 are amongst my favourite works of any kind.

And I'm conscious of the ones I haven't even bought yet - all of Dvorak's, Mozart's string quintets and clarinet quintet, Schubert's string quintet, Shostakovich's piano quintet...

...actually, I just went through my library and only came up with 15 examples. Oh dear. Is a top 10 worth while when I've only got 15 examples?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

IfULikeMyPeruqPlizTellMe

Quote from: orfeo on March 22, 2014, 02:58:23 AM
Ooh. I haven't noticed this topic before. This may be a wonderful excuse to go and listen to all the ones that I have, because there is something particularly wonderful about quintets.

I know 2 that will make my list, because Faure's first piano quintet and Beethoven's string quintet op.29 are amongst my favourite works of any kind.

And I'm conscious of the ones I haven't even bought yet - all of Dvorak's, Mozart's string quintets and clarinet quintet, Schubert's string quintet, Shostakovich's piano quintet...

...actually, I just went through my library and only came up with 15 examples. Oh dear. Is a top 10 worth while when I've only got 15 examples?
There's more than that, but for sure you have not hundreds of compositions for quintet, but among those existing, quite a lot are among the finest pieces of music ever written... :P

Ken B

Quote from: orfeo on March 22, 2014, 02:58:23 AM

Mozart's string quintets make an easy way to get to 21  8)
Some of his best chamber music.

Madiel

Quote from: Ken B on March 22, 2014, 06:15:39 AM
Mozart's string quintets make an easy way to get to 21  8)
Some of his best chamber music.

Absolutely, as I've heard a couple. They're on the shopping list.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

Brahms piano quintet
Brahms clarinet quintet
Schubert string quintet
Mozart clarinet quintet
Mozart wind quintet K 452
Mozart string quintet K 516
Schumann piano quintet
Dvorak piano quintet op.81
Franck piano quintet
Shostakovitch piano quintet

Honorable mention: other string quintets by Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Dvorak, Boccherini, Clarinet quintets by Weber and Reger etc.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Fagotterdämmerung

(...all-time favorites...)
  Samuel Barber - Summer Music ( Wind Quintet )
  Florent Schmitt - Piano Quintet
  (...I love...)
  György Ligeti - Bagatelles for Wind Quintet
  Jean Françaix - Wind Quintet No. 1
  Jean Cras - Quintet for Flute, Harp and Strings ( Another lover of this on the same thread? Wow. )
  (...I enjoy...)
  Andrey Rubtsov - Three Moods for Wind Quintet
  Sergei Prokofiev - Quintet in G Minor
  Josef Foerster - Wind Quintet

What an odd list this is turning into.

Another odd thing is that there are works by my favorite composers for quintet ( Vaughan Williams Phantasy, the Schoenberg Wind Quintet ) that I just don't particularly care for.

The wind quintet is my favorite of the well-established chamber ensembles, but there aren't a lot I love, love, love, and too many land in the friend zone ( the Carter comes to mind ).

North Star

Quote from: North Star on September 17, 2013, 04:45:06 PM
Josquin Miserere mei, Deus
Dowland Lachrimae
Boccherini Guitar Quintet 'La ritirata di Madrid' in C major, G.453
Mozart String Quintet No. 4 in G minor, K. 516
Schubert String Quintet in C major, D. 956
Brahms String Quintet no.2, Op. 111
Brahms Piano Quintet, Op. 34
Dvorak Piano Quintet No. 2 in A major, Op. 81
Villa-Lobos Quinteto em forma de Chôros, for flute, oboe, cor anglais, clarinet & bassoon
Schoenberg Wind Quintet
Shostakovich's Piano Quintet's in.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Excellent!

And, nice list overall, Karlo.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Well, and there I've repeated myself.  Again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on December 11, 2014, 11:41:03 AM
Unleash your inner minimalist Karl.

Cosi bel do

Easy !

Mozart clarinet + strings 1-5
Brahms op. 34
Schubert op. 163
Shostakovich
Mendelssohn 1

That's 10 :)

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on December 11, 2014, 11:41:03 AM
No harm in that.
Quote from: Ken B on December 11, 2014, 11:52:26 AM
Unleash your inner minimalist Karl.
I wrote too soon.  8)

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Quote from: Fagotterdämmerung on December 11, 2014, 10:56:13 AM
  Jean Cras - Quintet for Flute, Harp and Strings ( Another lover of this on the same thread? Wow. )
Two, in fact! You make three. That's a wonderful piece, and I'd add his string trio to a Top Trios answer, too.

Brian

Quote from: Brian on September 18, 2013, 07:00:50 AM
Schubert String Quintet in C major, D. 956
Dvorak Piano Quintet No. 2 in A major, Op. 81
Dvorak String Quintet Op. 77
Faure Piano Quintet No. 1
Nielsen Wind Quintet
Jean Cras Quintet for Flute, Harp and Strings
Schumann Piano Quintet
Glazunov String Quintet Brahms String Quintet No. 2
Shostakovich Piano Quintet
Weinberg Piano Quintet Dohnanyi Piano Quintet No. 1

Piano and strings: 5
Strings: 3
Winds: 1
Mixed ensemble: 1
In the spirit of Karlo, I've updated my list.

Jo498

I had not even heard of Jean Cras until a few days ago. Didn't someone also nominate his piano quintet or was it always the flute/harp referred to?

I also wonder if someone could recommend recordings of the Barber and Villa-Lobos wind quintet pieces (if I am not mistaken both rather short one-movement (ca. 10 min) pieces
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

North Star

Quote from: Jo498 on December 13, 2014, 07:12:10 AMI also wonder if someone could recommend recordings of the Barber and Villa-Lobos wind quintet pieces (if I am not mistaken both rather short one-movement (ca. 10 min) pieces
[asin]B002CAOVVK[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Quote from: Jo498 on December 13, 2014, 07:12:10 AM
I had not even heard of Jean Cras until a few days ago. Didn't someone also nominate his piano quintet or was it always the flute/harp referred to?
I heard the piano quintet once or twice, but can't remember my impressions of it. The Timpani CD featuring the harp/flute quintet, string trio, and solo harp pieces is probably the only essential Cras CD, but it's a pure delight. Here's the short thread about him.