Top 10 Favorite Cello Concerti

Started by kyjo, September 20, 2013, 01:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

And actually, I've heard this Tavener piece, and MacMillan's Passion . . . and, while the MacMillan is all right, I think much better of the Tavener piece.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

Quote from: karlhenning on September 21, 2013, 06:51:12 PM
Well, but are you talking about The Protecting Veil here?  This is not any cheap or forced music at all.

OK, the adjectives "cheap" and "forced" were a little too harsh, I'll admit. I've heard The Protecting Veil, and while it's one of Tavener's better works, I still can't say my impression of it is that favorable. It's a pleasant work at best. My tastes much prefer the grit and drama to be found in MacMillan's music.

vandermolen

Thought I'd responded to this but can't find list. So here goes:

Kabalevsky No 2 (his best work in my view)
Miaskovsky
Moeran (prefer it to his VC and along with the Symphony his best work. Climax of finale I find overwhelming, especially on Lyrita, with Moeran's wife playing)
Dvorak
Bliss
Finzi
Walton  (prefer it to the Violin Concerto but not to the Viola Concerto)
Samuel Barber
Bridge 'Oration' (wonderful - especially the Epilogue)
Vlasov (on YouTube)

Not in order

Hon mentions: Englund, Bloch's 'Voice in the Wilderness'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kishnevi

Quote from: kyjo on September 21, 2013, 01:29:25 PM
Taverner.......yuck! :P I can't stand his music. At least Part's (to name another "holy minimalist") music has some depth to it, but Taverner's music is embarrassingly trite. All IMHO, of course. :)

I'm actually mostly in agreement with you here:  I love Protecting Veil,  but everything else I've heard from him rather bores me.  Part for me is hit or miss, and in the choral stuff it's usually more miss, with the hits apparently biased to the instrumental works.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 22, 2013, 12:18:51 AM
Vlasov (on YouTube)

Interesting choice! I haven't heard it yet, but I do own the set that contains it:

[asin]B000BUEGFE[/asin]

Will have to give it a listen. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 22, 2013, 07:48:15 AM
I'm actually mostly in agreement with you here:  I love Protecting Veil,  but everything else I've heard from him rather bores me.

Partly explains, probably, my disinclination to explore much Tavener . . . content to like The Protecting Veil very well  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 22, 2013, 07:48:15 AM
I'm actually mostly in agreement with you here:  I love Protecting Veil,  but everything else I've heard from him rather bores me.  Part for me is hit or miss, and in the choral stuff it's usually more miss, with the hits apparently biased to the instrumental works.

I actually his earlier more experimental psychedelic kind of work like 'The Whale' which commences with a narrator reading the section on whales from the Encyclopedia Brittanica 'Statistics on whales are collected by the Norwegian Whaling Committee...etc etc' it always makes me smile and the work is fun - I have even heard it live in the presence of the composer. Another early work I like is the 'Celtic Requiem'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

First attempt, with little time to think it over:

Barber
Finzi
Bridge 'Oration'
Moeran
Bliss
Holmboe
Englund
Hindemith
Villa-Lobos No. 2
Vasks

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Brian

Making a note here to (re-)listen to the following cello concertos:
Martinu 1 & 2
Casella
Leshnoff
Vasks
Barber
Rautavaara 1 & 2
Schoeck
Frank Martin

One cello concerto which I decisively DIS-like is Lalo's. I've given it chances, but the incessant dramatic orchestral chords in the first movement drive me mad with irritation. They seem to never end.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on May 25, 2015, 06:45:57 PM
Martinu 1 & 2
Casella
Leshnoff
Vasks
Barber
Rautavaara 1 & 2
Schoeck
Frank Martin

One cello concerto which I decisively DIS-like is Lalo's. I've given it chances, but the incessant dramatic orchestral chords in the first movement drive me mad with irritation. They seem to never end.

It occurs to me I don't know if I own the Martinu. Probably ...
I don't know Lesnoff but the others are all fine.

My first choice is Shosty 2. Others on the list in no order include
Shosty 1
Walton
Bloch Schelomo
Dvorak
Glass

Need to revisit Rautavaara and Martin. Finzi probably makes the list, as probably does Barber.

EigenUser

Dvorak
Feldman Cello and Orchestra
Gulda
Elgar
Ohana In Dark and Blue
Schumann
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

kyjo

Time to update my list:

Dvorak 2 ;D (let's not ignore the fine early A major concerto)
Shostakovich 1 (2 is a close second)
Haydn D major (the C major is a close second)
Martinu 1 (2 is a close second)
Kabalevsky 2
Herbert 2
Schnittke 1
Walton
Dohnányi (Konzertstück)
Finzi/Miaskovsky/Weinberg/Bridge (Oration)/Saint-Saëns 2 - can't decide :-[
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

springrite

Quote from: Brian on May 25, 2015, 06:45:57 PM
Martinu 1 & 2
Casella
Leshnoff
Vasks
Barber
Rautavaara 1 & 2
Schoeck
Frank Martin

I knew I forgot an important one, shockingly so: Schoeck!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

SymphonicAddict

Atterberg
Dvorák Op. 104
Finzi
Kabalevsky 2
Khachaturian
Lutoslawski
Schnittke 1
Shostakovich 1
Villa-Lobos 2
Weinberg

I had to leave out the next ones: Miaskovsky, Moeran, Walton, Martinu 2, Hindemith both concertos, Barber, Englund, Penderecki 1.

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 02, 2017, 05:26:34 PM
Atterberg
Dvorák Op. 104
Finzi
Kabalevsky 2
Khachaturian
Lutoslawski
Schnittke 1
Shostakovich 1
Villa-Lobos 2
Weinberg

I had to leave out the next ones: Miaskovsky, Moeran, Walton, Martinu 2, Hindemith both concertos, Barber, Englund, Penderecki 1.

Great list! I could've easily included the Atterberg (though not one of his better works IMO) and Villa-Lobos 2. The Lutosławski is a fascinating work which I feel will grow on me with repeated listening. I found the Khachaturian concerto a bit disappointing but I must revisit. Must check out the Moeran and Englund concertos.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 02, 2017, 06:31:57 PM
Great list! I could've easily included the Atterberg (though not one of his better works IMO) and Villa-Lobos 2. The Lutosławski is a fascinating work which I feel will grow on me with repeated listening. I found the Khachaturian concerto a bit disappointing but I must revisit. Must check out the Moeran and Englund concertos.

I think you'll dig the Moeran Cello Concerto, Kyle. Right up your alley I would think.

Daverz

Martinu 1
Shostakovich 1
Dvorak
Frank Martin
Hindemith (1940)
Toch
Weinberg
Haydn in C
Prokofiev Symphonie Concertante
One of CPE Bach's, not sure which one
Elgar

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 02, 2017, 06:34:41 PM
I think you'll dig the Moeran Cello Concerto, Kyle. Right up your alley I would think.

I'll definitely check it out, along with the Martin CC :)

Mirror Image

kyjo

Quote from: Daverz on October 02, 2017, 06:59:34 PM
One of CPE Bach's, not sure which one

The only one of CPE Bach's cello concertos I know is the A major (the most famous one, I believe), which is a lovely work.