Recording "flaws" you love

Started by Brian, March 30, 2022, 08:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geralmar

There is a loud collision with a music stand during a soft passage in Bruno Walter's Columbia Symphony recording of Schubert's "Unfinished".

Someone has a coughing fit during the fade out at the end of the largo in Eugene Ormandy's monophonic recording of Dvorak's "New World" Symphony.  Note:  it was apparently removed in subsequent L.P. pressings. 

Regarding the previously mentioned Barbirolli Mahler 6:  During the last days of the L.P. I was up late one night experimenting with ersatz quadraphonic sound.  The effect was derived by hooking up the rear speakers out of phase with the front speakers.   I was listening to the Barbirolli Mahler when I gradually became aware of a regular, heavy "snuffling" sound behind me.  After listening intently a few moments I suddenly realized the rear speakers had extracted and isolated the labored breathing of a man dead 15 years.  The sensation was so unnerving I had to turn off the stereo and go to bed.

DavidW

Quote from: geralmar on April 20, 2022, 03:57:28 AM
Regarding the previously mentioned Barbirolli Mahler 6:  During the last days of the L.P. I was up late one night experimenting with ersatz quadraphonic sound.  The effect was derived by hooking up the rear speakers out of phase with the front speakers.   I was listening to the Barbirolli Mahler when I gradually became aware of a regular, heavy "snuffling" sound behind me.  After listening intently a few moments I suddenly realized the rear speakers had extracted and isolated the labored breathing of a man dead 15 years.  The sensation was so unnerving I had to turn off the stereo and go to bed.

Wow!