Dvorak Symphonies: Complete Sets & Singles

Started by TheGSMoeller, September 21, 2013, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trung224

Quote from: betterthanfine on September 22, 2013, 12:40:51 PM
I'm still getting to know these symphonies myself, but does anyone share my love for Kondrashin's 9th on Decca?
As a fan of Kondrashin's Shostakovich cycle, I found this recordings a disappointment. Instead of "fast and furious" performances, which is the landmark style of Kondrashin in most of his recordings (Shostakovich and Mahler), here we have a middle-of-the-road reading, not enough "con brio" but not really subtle. Possibly the heart attack prevented him to play adventured .

Daverz

Quote from: Pat B on September 22, 2013, 03:44:45 PM
For 9, my faves are Kertesz's first recording (VPO, mono) and Fricsay.

I think you meant that the Fricsay is mono.  The Kertesz is stereo.  It was my "imprint" recording for the work.  The Wind Serenade is also wonderful.

Pat B

Quote from: Daverz on September 22, 2013, 04:32:33 PM
I think you meant that the Fricsay is mono.  The Kertesz is stereo.  It was my "imprint" recording for the work.  The Wind Serenade is also wonderful.
My mistake. I thought I read somewhere that the VPO Kertesz is mono, but I can't find that now. The Eloquence issue doesn't say either way. It is from 1961, so mono would be anachronistic. Thanks for the correction.

(EDIT: I'm re-listening to it now and it is clearly stereo.)

The Fricsay, from 1960, is definitely in stereo.

bluto32

Quote from: betterthanfine on September 22, 2013, 12:40:51 PM
I'm still getting to know these symphonies myself, but does anyone share my love for Kondrashin's 9th on Decca?

Yes! I grew up with this one, and it is one of my favourite recordings of all time. The timings just feel right, somehow, and the sound quality is superb for early DDD (1979?).

Bluto

John Copeland

Quote from: Daverz on September 22, 2013, 02:52:15 PM
I note that Brilliant has combined the Suitner symphony cycle with the Kuchar recordings of orchestral works with the Janacek Philharmonic.  I have not heard the Suitner recordings, but I really like this Kuchar set.

By all the Golden Spinning Wheels, it is a shame you have not yet met with the Suitner set!  It is by a long way the most consistent and brilliantly portrayed Dvorak Symphony set out there.  Suitner was one of the finest conductors - what a shame he is less known than some conductors these days because he was far better than most.  If you get a chance, have a listen to his controlled dynamics - he really knew how to make an Orchestra sound brilliant.  There's a Beethoven 9 out there by him which is also outstanding...most of his output was in the Operas, but by golly his Orchestral conducting brilliance makes other conductors sound inadequate.

Suitner in action...

Daverz

Quote from: Scots John on September 24, 2013, 03:04:34 PM
By all the Golden Spinning Wheels, it is a shame you have not yet met with the Suitner set!

I thought about getting it.  It's cheap enough.  But I have more than enough recordings of Dvorak symphonies already. 

John Copeland

Quote from: Daverz on September 24, 2013, 04:39:58 PM
I thought about getting it.  It's cheap enough.  But I have more than enough recordings of Dvorak symphonies already.

:'(

SonicMan46

Just re-read this 3-page thread which started/ended in 2013 - currently going through my Dvorak collection and have culled out some duplicate recordings and decided to replace a few - now on the Dvorak Symphonies - I own the top 3 shown below which appear to be some 'favorites' in this discussion - BUT, just wondering about anything new and/or improved - the Kertesz recordings have been remastered by Decca and expanded (bottom, left) and yet again even w/ a BD (bottom, middle) - this latter set has received some superlative reviews but seems to be unavailable, i.e. OOP - one used copy is on sale for $800 USD in the Amazon MP!  Also saw the set by Belohlavek (bottom, right).

So, after 6+ years, please add comments on whether your preferences have changed and what 'newer' sets (either really new and/or remastered) have impressed you.  Are Kertesz, Kubelik, Suitner, and Rowicki still in the top tier?  Dave

Brian

Dave - for me, as a big Dvorak fan, the answer is yes, those three are still the champs. The more I listen the more I appreciate Kertesz and Rowicki. Belohlavek was surprisingly short on energy, given how propulsive his Martinu can be.

André

I prefer individual recordings for the last symphonies, but a set is a great way to have the whole lot in one convenient place.

My preferred set is that of Neumann with the Czech Philharmonic. Suitner and Kertesz offer excellent value from a more 'occidental' vantage point (bigger, beefier). I have not heard the Rowicki performances.

vandermolen

Released this week. My brother wrote the notes for it:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on February 04, 2020, 07:29:48 AM
I prefer individual recordings for the last symphonies, but a set is a great way to have the whole lot in one convenient place.

My preferred set is that of Neumann with the Czech Philharmonic. Suitner and Kertesz offer excellent value from a more 'occidental' vantage point (bigger, beefier). I have not heard the Rowicki performances.

I do very much enjoy the Neumann/Czech set;  I've not really compared it to either Kertész or Kubelik, both of whose sets I also have.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Brian

I also own and enjoy Neumann - it's available in a purplish box with a bunch of other orchestral works. But I haven't done a lot of direct comparisons. I think Neumann's Third was really really good? But so is Rowicki's...

Daverz

The SWR series continues with Symphony No. 2 and a different conductor (previous issues were with Mark Chichon).

[asin]B07X27V7ZZ[/asin]
https://open.qobuz.com/album/yeqc5ia0oki6a

The symphony burbles along nicely and was enough to greatly impress Brahms at the time (""This guy has got more ideas than any of us. Everyone else could scratch together the main themes from his rubbish.") 

I don't think it will ever be a favorite of the first four.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Daverz on February 04, 2020, 11:43:21 AM
The SWR series continues with Symphony No. 2 and a different conductor (previous issues were with Mark Chichon).

[asin]B07X27V7ZZ[/asin]
https://open.qobuz.com/album/yeqc5ia0oki6a

The symphony burbles along nicely and was enough to greatly impress Brahms at the time (""This guy has got more ideas than any of us. Everyone else could scratch together the main themes from his rubbish.") 

I don't think it will ever be a favorite of the first four.

I enjoyed the Chichon volumes - this one sags down into the realm of competent run through.  Absolutely nothing to recommend it ahead of the many/cheaper/more inspired alternatives.  The kind of performance to make you think this IS a weak work!

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 04, 2020, 12:51:02 PM
I enjoyed the Chichon volumes - this one sags down into the realm of competent run through.  Absolutely nothing to recommend it ahead of the many/cheaper/more inspired alternatives.  The kind of performance to make you think this IS a weak work!

Thanks for the report RS.  I think I'll listen to Kertesz or Rowicki to clear my ears.

SonicMan46

Thanks all for the comments - yesterday I listened to Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 from each of my three boxes shown previously, and must say all were enjoyable - if I had to discard one, not sure which I would choose?  :)

However, I'm still curious about the 'newest' Decca restoration of the Kertesz performances which includes the entire CD collection on one BD - seems to be OOP although downloads are available (Presto below) - not sure if Decca will re-issue this set?  Indeed, I would be pleased w/ just buying the BD (my BD player is attached to my den stereo) if that was offered.  Dave

Daverz

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 05, 2020, 06:46:23 AM
Thanks all for the comments - yesterday I listened to Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 from each of my three boxes shown previously, and must say all were enjoyable - if I had to discard one, not sure which I would choose?  :)

However, I'm still curious about the 'newest' Decca restoration of the Kertesz performances which includes the entire CD collection on one BD - seems to be OOP although downloads are available (Presto below) - not sure if Decca will re-issue this set?  Indeed, I would be pleased w/ just buying the BD (my BD player is attached to my den stereo) if that was offered.  Dave

I have the Kertesz set as hi-res downloads.  It sounds gorgeous in this remastering.   I've had most of these recordings in various CD incarnations over the decades.