Top 10 Favorite Ballets

Started by kyjo, September 24, 2013, 05:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: NikF on August 25, 2018, 04:36:39 PM
You can have the Glazunov if I can have the (Drigo?) pas de trois from  Die Puppenfee by Bayer.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3lduZ7Zsv8c
Ok you're on  8)
Although not my thread of course!
Kyle will have to give special permission!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

When I initially saw the thread title I thought I would be pushed to name more than 2 or 3 but seeing the postings reminded me how many ballets (including those from operas) I had in my collection and how varied they are, so here goes (in no particular order) -

Vaughan Williams - Job: A Masque for Dancing
Verdi: The Four Seasons (from 'Les Vepres siciliennes')
Wagner: Venusberg music from 'Tannhauser'
Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker
Berlioz: Royal Hunt and Storm (from 'Les Troyens')
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe
Ravel: Bolero
Copland: Appalachian Spring
Copland: Rodeo
Shostakovich: Bolt

No doubt some of the choices are a bit corny but they are the works I have listened to a lot, usually without thinking too much about the balletic action.

The Shostakovich is the only one I have on DVD. It is a production from the Bolshoi Ballet choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky. I first saw it on television and had to buy the DVD. It is very inventive and often hilariously funny; the super-patriotic finale outstays its welcome but Ratmansky does his best with it.

I have the Decca box 'Fete du Ballet' - it has lots of colourful, tuneful music and I often dip into it for a bit of light relief.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 24, 2013, 05:26:19 PM
Now this is something I can participate in and not complain about! ;) My 10 favorite ballets (in no particular order) and some no doubt will match Kyle's:

Stravinsky: Le sacre du printemps
Shostakovich: The Golden Age
Roussel: Bacchus et Ariadne (but I could have gone just as easily with Le festin de l'araignée)
Prokofiev: Le pas d'acier
Ginastera: Estancia
Pierne: Cydalise et le Chèvre-pied
Schnittke: Peer Gynt
Copland: Dance Panels
W. Schuman: Undertow

I still feel this is a really strong list, but I'd probably make several changes to it now:

Bartók: The Miraculous Mandarin
Stravinsky: Apollon musagète
Debussy: Jeux
Vaughan Williams: Job, A Masque for Dancing
Copland: Appalachian Spring (esp. the chamber version)
Villa-Lobos: Gênesis
Chávez: La hija de Cólquide

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 25, 2018, 06:26:29 PM
I'm intrigued by the Melikov and the Amirov. How are they, Jeffrey?

This is the interesting thing about the lists, you always find new suggestions and wide your musical spectre.
I think that as you enjoy Khachaturian's ballets you will find them of interest Cesar - they both have that exotic 'Eastern' quality about them.

If it works, here is a link to the opening of the Melikov which will give you a sense of the work:
https://youtu.be/pyw9n2py7ik

Here is the rather striking cover of the Melikov:
[asin]B00SSLUVP2[/asin]

I remember that Francis Wilson, the late head of Olympia Records, with whom I had some nice correspondence about their releases years ago, thought very highly of the Amirov score. Olympia released the work originally.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 26, 2018, 11:24:39 AM
I still feel this is a really strong list, but I'd probably make several changes to it now:

Stravinsky: Apollon musagète
Debussy: Jeux
Vaughan Williams: Job, A Masque for Dancing
Copland: Appalachian Spring (esp. the chamber version)
Villa-Lobos: Gênesis
Chávez: La hija de Cólquide
I don't know the Chavez John - must investigate that one! I think that I should have including one of Copland's ballets, probably 'Rodeo' which I'd love to see live. V interesting list.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 27, 2018, 12:13:14 AM
I don't know the Chavez John - must investigate that one! I think that I should have including one of Copland's ballets, probably 'Rodeo' which I'd love to see live. V interesting list.

Indeed, Jeffrey. I could have easily included Shostakovich's The Golden Age in my list, which I did in the first list I made. This is an awesome piece of music.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 27, 2018, 08:57:15 AM
Indeed, Jeffrey. I could have easily included Shostakovich's The Golden Age in my list, which I did in the first list I made. This is an awesome piece of music.
Must give it another list John as I hardly know it.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2018, 11:51:41 PM
I think that as you enjoy Khachaturian's ballets you will find them of interest Cesar - they both have that exotic 'Eastern' quality about them.

If it works, here is a link to the opening of the Melikov which will give you a sense of the work:
https://youtu.be/pyw9n2py7ik

Here is the rather striking cover of the Melikov:
[asin]B00SSLUVP2[/asin]

I remember that Francis Wilson, the late head of Olympia Records, with whom I had some nice correspondence about their releases years ago, thought very highly of the Amirov score. Olympia released the work originally.

Many thanks for the reply, Jeffrey! The audio excerpt was enough to want to hear the rest. I'm a sucker for exotic oriental flavor in music.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 28, 2018, 11:54:02 AM
Many thanks for the reply, Jeffrey! The audio excerpt was enough to want to hear the rest. I'm a sucker for exotic oriental flavor in music.
My pleasure Cesar. Yes, me too re: oriental music.

Jaakko Keskinen

The Sleeping Beauty
Josephslegende
Firebird
Golden Age
Romeo and Juliet
Nutcracker
Swan lake
Daphnis et Chloé
The Rite of Spring
Orpheus

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

vandermolen

Quote from: Alberich on September 15, 2018, 04:09:20 AM
The Sleeping Beauty
Josephslegende
Firebird
Golden Age
Romeo and Juliet
Nutcracker
Swan lake
Daphnis et Chloé
The Rite of Spring
Orpheus
I recently listened to the Firebird having not done so for years and should probably have included it myself.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2018, 12:43:51 AM
I recently listened to the Firebird having not done so for years and should probably have included it myself.

It is an exquisite work, Jeffrey! My favorite from Stravinsky, in fact.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Maestro267

It must be said that my top 10 comes from an entirely musical point of view:

Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake
Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe
Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet
Schnittke - Peer Gynt
Bliss - Checkmate
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring
Roussel - Bacchus et Ariane
Vaughan Williams - Job
Bartók - The Wooden Prince
Glière - The Red Poppy

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 17, 2018, 02:26:41 AM
It must be said that my top 10 comes from an entirely musical point of view:

Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake
Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe
Schnittke - Peer Gynt
Bliss - Checkmate
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring
Vaughan Williams - Job
Bartók - The Wooden Prince
Glière - The Red Poppy
Nice to see the Gliere get a mention.

Brian

Pronounced French theme to my list - especially a pronounced Diaghilev in Paris theme.

Falla - El sombrero de tres picos
Offenbach/Rosenthal - Gaîté parisienne
Pierné - Cydalise et le chèvre-pied
Poulenc - Les biches
Ravel - Daphnis et Chloé
Ravel - Ma mère l'oye
Stravinsky - Petrushka
Tchaikovsky - Sleeping Beauty

kyjo

Alfvén - Bergakungen
Bliss - Adam Zero
Falla - El sombrero de tres picos
Glazunov - The Seasons
Novák - Signorina Gioventú
Ravel - Daphnis et Chloé
Stravinsky - L'oiseau de feu
Vaughan Williams - Job

Bonus: Arnold - Homage to the Queen, Ginastera - Estancia
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Time for an update:

Falla: El Sombrero de Tres Picos
Glière: The Red Poppy
Khachaturian: Gayaneh
Poulenc: Les Animaux modèles
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé
Shchedrin: The Little-Humpbacked Horse
Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake
Tubin: Kratt
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 19, 2023, 06:25:42 PMTime for an update:

Falla: El Sombrero de Tres Picos
Glière: The Red Poppy
Khachaturian: Gayaneh
Poulenc: Les Animaux modèles
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé
Shchedrin: The Little-Humpbacked Horse
Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake
Tubin: Kratt

The Poulenc and Shchedrin ballets were both great (relatively) recent discoveries of mine. I'm surprised how little-known the Poulenc is considering it's by a relatively famous composer - it's right up there with some of his best works IMO.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

atardecer

A lot of great works listed here. One I think gets overlooked is Stravinsky's Apollo. For me it is not just among my favorite ballets but among my favorite works in any genre by any composer. I think of all of his works this one perhaps most clearly demonstrates Stravinsky's harmonic mastery, how expressive he could be with subtle manipulation of dissonance.
"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on July 19, 2023, 07:16:05 PMThe Poulenc and Shchedrin ballets were both great (relatively) recent discoveries of mine. I'm surprised how little-known the Poulenc is considering it's by a relatively famous composer - it's right up there with some of his best works IMO.

That is an excellent list.  The Poulenc I have the Dutoit recording but am not sure I know a note of it (it came as part of the orchestral works set) so I will have to rectify that.  Personally I'd swap Cinderella for R&J and (regretfully) Nutcracker for Swan Lake.  I'd have to find room for Checkmate and probably Appalachian Spring too.