Your Three Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, September 25, 2013, 06:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Here's going to be a difficult list to make (for some), but narrow down your favorite composers to three choices and THREE CHOICES ONLY PLEASE!!!! No honorable mentions and no second guessing. This is your final list of three composers who you couldn't live without and that give you the most satisfaction of them all. Now go!!! :D

Mine would be the following:

Shostakovich:

Schnittke:

Hartmann:

kishnevi

Bach and Mahler, certainly.
Number 3 would be Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Shostakovich--but there's no way I could choose among them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 25, 2013, 06:55:57 PM
Bach and Mahler, certainly.
Number 3 would be Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Shostakovich--but there's no way I could choose among them.

But you have to! That's the whole purpose of this thread.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 25, 2013, 06:58:08 PM
But you have to! That's the whole purpose of this thread.

Well, if you insist--and since you are the OP,  I'll pick one in your honor....
goes off to find an appropriate image......

Sammy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 25, 2013, 07:05:24 PM
Well, if you insist--and since you are the OP,  I'll pick one in your honor....
goes off to find an appropriate image......

Okay, so your three favorites are Bach, Mozart, and Mahler. Interesting choices.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sammy on September 25, 2013, 07:14:52 PM
Bach, Scriabin and Shostakovich.

Great! Thanks for stopping by this thread. Was this a hard choice for you, Bulldog or have you always known this in the back of your mind?

Bogey

Today?

Beethoven
Dvořák
and a coin flip between Haydn and Copland
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sammy

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 25, 2013, 07:16:06 PM
Great! Thanks for stopping by this thread. Was this a hard choice for you, Bulldog or have you always known this in the back of your mind?

It was a little difficult as I hated leaving Schumann out in the cold.  Wait!  I'll give him "honorable mention".  I feel better now.

Bogey

Quote from: Sammy on September 25, 2013, 07:20:51 PM
It was a little difficult as I hated leaving Schumann out in the cold.  Wait!  I'll give him "honorable mention".  I feel better now.

I wonder how many honorable mentions Schubert and Schumann have racked up over the years......
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 25, 2013, 07:17:02 PM
Today?

Beethoven
Dvořák
and a coin flip between Haydn and Copland

No, your three favorite composers of all-time. Three composers you CANNOT live without. But, please try to narrow it down between Haydn and Copland. Two totally different composers for sure, but you can do this, Bill! May the force be with you! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sammy on September 25, 2013, 07:20:51 PM

Well, I certainly hated leaving out x composer and y composer, but I had to make cuts and so I did with a vengeance! >:D

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 25, 2013, 07:26:56 PM
No, your three favorite composers of all-time. Three composers you CANNOT live without. But, please try to narrow it down between Haydn and Copland. Two totally different composers for sure, but you can do this, Bill! May the force be with you! :)

Oh?  Sorry about that. ;D

John Williams
Beethoven
Miles

If just "classical"

Beethoven
Haydn
Copland (He's my "real time" soundtrack.)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 25, 2013, 07:34:08 PM
Oh?  Sorry about that. ;D

If just "classical"

Beethoven
Haydn
Copland

Was this a difficult decision or were picking these three composers something you've formulated years ago?

Mirror Image

I wonder if Kyle will be participating in this thread? I'd also like to see lists from Paul, Daniel, Karlo, Karl Henning, and many others. Even James is welcome here! ;) :P

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 25, 2013, 07:35:38 PM
Was this a difficult decision or were picking these three composers something you've formulated years ago?

Beethoven was a slam dunk....Copland has always made my "top" lists.  Haydn has replaced Mozart in more recent times, as did Dvořák.

I tried to find an old post of mine for such a list as my memory fails me on these, because they do change a bit.  Could not track down mine, but here one of yours:

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 20, 2011, 06:58:56 AM
I voted for my three B's (Bruckner, Berg, Bartok), my three S's (Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Sibelius), Ravel, Tchaikovsky, Debussy, and Mahler.

Cool how lists do evolve when it comes to music.  Just shows your passion for exploring new avenues, John. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 25, 2013, 07:48:17 PM
Beethoven was a slam dunk....Copland has always made my "top" lists.  Haydn has replaced Mozart in more recent times, as did Dvořák.

I tried to find an old post of mine for such a list as my memory fails me on these, because they do change a bit.  Could not track down mine, but here one of yours:

Cool how lists do evolve when it comes to music.  Just shows your passion for exploring new avenues, John. :)

There is one thing about it: we're all in constant evolution. That list of mine is quite surprising to read now, but, yes, it shows how one's own personal tastes change.

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 25, 2013, 07:58:07 PM
There is one thing about it: we're all in constant evolution. That list of mine is quite surprising to read now, but, yes, it shows how one's own personal tastes change.

....or might we say expand.

Brian

Beethoven
Dvořák

-
Honestly, while third place could go to Schubert, Ravel, Janacek, or Sibelius, the truth is that none of those four, or anyone else, has had anything like the influence of my top two so far in life. So I'm gonna do the exact opposite of what everyone does in these polls, and UNDER-report!

Mirror Image