Your Three Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, September 25, 2013, 06:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF4

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 02:54:06 AM
Nothing very different today.  ;D

Not that I keep a ranked list of such things, but your signature file has always seemed to speak volumes about the composer and his work, and although the enthusiasm of both vandermolen and Mirror Image have pointed me in that direction, it's an ongoing reminder to listen to RVW.

Christo

Quote from: NikF4 on March 04, 2019, 03:21:59 AM
Not that I keep a ranked list of such things, but your signature file has always seemed to speak volumes about the composer and his work, and although the enthusiasm of both vandermolen and Mirror Image have pointed me in that direction, it's an ongoing reminder to listen to RVW.
??? :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Very similar to Christo regarding Vaughan Williams although I was a year or two older when I latched on to Vaughan Williams, 16 or 17 ( late developer  8)). Regarding VW I was lucky that my 17th year coincided with the centenary of VW's birth in 1972 and that I lived in central London, so was able to attend, for example the centenary concerts in the Festival Hall and Westminster Abbey (both conducted by Boult). I think that Miaskovsky is my No.2 choice. Sibelius and Bruckner are two of the greatest. At the moment I'm listening to a lot of Alwyn, so maybe he is today's No3 choice although, Diamond, Bate, Braga Santos and Tubin rate very highly for me.

Now I feel that I should have included Shostakovich or Sibelius as my third choice.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Recently it's been Atterberg, Dvořák, and Sibelius (in no particular order).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Here is a nice photo of one of my favourites:

And another:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 10, 2019, 03:09:02 AM
Here is a nice photo of one of my favourites:

And another:

Nice, Jeffrey. Here's a good one of ol' Ralph:

Crudblud

Zappa, Mahler, Stravinsky. No! Schoenberg, Ravel, Beethoven! Uh... wait! Webern, Frescobaldi, Crumb! Or... that is... Ah, I've got it! Carter, Ives, Froberger! Damn... wrong again. Bear with me folks, this could go on all night.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2019, 07:22:58 AM
Nice, Jeffrey. Here's a good one of ol' Ralph:
That's a lovely photo as well John. I first saw it on the back of an LP of VW's hymns in my early days of collecting his music. And here is another one plus one of another of my favourite composers. I wonder why I like these images in particular?
8)

71 dB

At the moment I think my top 3 composers are:

Sir Edward Elgar
Johann Sebastian Bach
Mieczyslaw Weinberg
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on March 11, 2019, 03:21:36 AM
At the moment I think my top 3 composers are:

Sir Edward Elgar
Johann Sebastian Bach
Mieczyslaw Weinberg

I like Weinberg too - was listening to his Piano Quintet yesterday and look forward to discovering more. Symphony 5 is a masterpiece IMO and I also think very highly of 1,3 and 6.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2019, 02:17:58 AMI wonder why I like these images in particular?
8)

It's quite possible you like them because they show the composers in a natural position and they're not really 'posing' or you could just have a thing for cats? ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 12, 2019, 06:44:45 AM
It's quite possible you like them because they show the composers in a natural position and they're not really 'posing' or you could just have a thing for cats? ;)
;) Sadly I couldn't find a picture of Miaskovsky with a cat but here is another composer I greatly admire with some slightly larger cats  8)
Nice CD too!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 12, 2019, 06:59:57 AM
;) Sadly I couldn't find a picture of Miaskovsky with a cat but here is another composer I greatly admire with some slightly larger cats  8)
Nice CD too!

Well, there you go, I stand corrected. ;)

vandermolen

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2019, 11:52:31 PM
I like Weinberg too - was listening to his Piano Quintet yesterday and look forward to discovering more. Symphony 5 is a masterpiece IMO and I also think very highly of 1,3 and 6.

Inspired by you I'm listening to the Piano Quintet. I have/know symphonies 10, 12, 19 & 20. People keep talking about 5, but I haven't heard it yet so there's a lot to explore. Most of my Weinberg is chamber music.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on March 12, 2019, 09:25:15 AM
Inspired by you I'm listening to the Piano Quintet. I have/know symphonies 10, 12, 19 & 20. People keep talking about 5, but I haven't heard it yet so there's a lot to explore. Most of my Weinberg is chamber music.

What did you think of it?
Here is the very nice CD with Bloch PQ2 which I was listening to.
Yes, you must get to hear Symphony 5, preferably in Kondrashin's unrivalled performance.

kyjo

Quote from: 71 dB on March 12, 2019, 09:25:15 AM

Two of my favorite Weinberg works include the atmospheric 3rd Symphony and the gorgeous Cello Concerto. I find that I tend to prefer his more lyrical earlier works - his later works are a bit too unremittingly dark and bleak for my tastes.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on March 13, 2019, 11:18:04 AM
Two of my favorite Weinberg works include the atmospheric 3rd Symphony and the gorgeous Cello Concerto. I find that I tend to prefer his more lyrical earlier works - his later works are a bit too unremittingly dark and bleak for my tastes.
My thoughts exactly.

SymphonicAddict

3 perennial favorites:

Brahms, Dvorak and Shostakovich.

vandermolen

Here's one of them: