Andrej Eshpai (1925 - 2015)

Started by kyjo, September 29, 2013, 02:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on December 16, 2017, 01:30:29 PM
I plan to visit all the symphonies on these days. The no. 9 is not recorded yet I think, or at least I haven't seen any recording of it. Certainly Eshpai's style is very affined to my tastes  :)
Great stuff! I must hunt down more of the symphonies as well. No.2 is my latest very happy discovery.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

I've played all the 8 recorded symphonies. I'm impressed by this magnificent cycle. There is no any boring symphony, all of them have something to tell. One feature I can feel is a sort of solemnity through many passages on these works, which I find so moving. Also, I've perceived a little Hindemithian influence on the first 3 symphonies, adding an irreverent touch.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on December 26, 2017, 05:28:42 PM
I've played all the 8 recorded symphonies. I'm impressed by this magnificent cycle. There is no any boring symphony, all of them have something to tell. One feature I can feel is a sort of solemnity through many passages on these works, which I find so moving. Also, I've perceived a little Hindemithian influence on the first 3 symphonies, adding an irreverent touch.

Other than No.5 which is terrific and No.2 which I have recently discovered which are your top recommendations Caesar?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on December 26, 2017, 11:22:04 PM
Other than No.5 which is terrific and No.2 which I have recently discovered which are your top recommendations Caesar?

Certainly the No. 2 has many lyric moments that touched me. I could suggest the No. 4, the No. 7 with its pensive ending (a little similar to the ending of Shostakovich's No. 4 with the sounds of the celesta) and the No. 6 with its Orthodox Russian chants. These details give an elegiac atmosphere. Overall, the 8 symphonies are so worthy to appreciate. A great cycle and one of my nicest discoveries this year.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on December 27, 2017, 10:43:26 AM
Certainly the No. 2 has many lyric moments that touched me. I could suggest the No. 4, the No. 7 with its pensive ending (a little similar to the ending of Shostakovich's No. 4 with the sounds of the celesta) and the No. 6 with its Orthodox Russian chants. These details give an elegiac atmosphere. Overall, the 8 symphonies are so worthy to appreciate. A great cycle and one of my nicest discoveries this year.

Great. Thanks Caesar. I think that I have No.7 on CD so must look out for that one.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on December 27, 2017, 01:45:30 PM
Great. Thanks Caesar. I think that I have No.7 on CD so must look out for that one.

Please, check it out, and the most important thing, enjoy it!  :D

Symphonic Addict

Earlier I was giving his ballet 'A Circle' Apocalypse a listen. What a cool work, full of arresting and soulful passages featuring the best of the composer IMO. It includes a harpsichord to great effect in some specific moments. In Act I - Episodes 1 and 2 (the first track of the recording) a very neat section resembling music of the 70s appears, something totally unexpected but effective in a sort of way. The whole piece lasts 70 minutes but the effort is worthy I reckon.

Among the Russian/Soviet composers, Eshpai and Popov are the most englected by the label records for reasons that disconcert me. These composers deserve much more exposure.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 20, 2023, 05:26:11 PMEarlier I was giving his ballet 'A Circle' Apocalypse a listen. What a cool work, full of arresting and soulful passages featuring the best of the composer IMO. It includes a harpsichord to great effect in some specific moments. In Act I - Episodes 1 and 2 (the first track of the recording) a very neat section resembling music of the 70s appears, something totally unexpected but effective in a sort of way. The whole piece lasts 70 minutes but the effort is worthy I reckon.

Among the Russian/Soviet composers, Eshpai and Popov are the most englected by the label records for reasons that disconcert me. These composers deserve much more exposure.

I can't agree Symphony n°4 that is based on "Circle"  is a more compact and better structured work

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 20, 2023, 06:08:00 PMI can't agree Symphony n°4 that is based on "Circle"  is a more compact and better structured work

I remember enjoying the No. 4 as well. I'm checking it and yes, its title is Symphony-Ballet, but I couldn't find any information about if it is related to the aforementioned ballet or not. Anyway, I didn't have any problem with the ballet.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 20, 2023, 06:37:24 PMI remember enjoying the No. 4 as well. I'm checking it and yes, its title is Symphony-Ballet, but I couldn't find any information about if it is related to the aforementioned ballet or not. Anyway, I didn't have any problem with the ballet.

Symphonic Addict

Thanks, though the resolution of the image doesn't allow to read adequately.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari (for orchestra) is one of my favourites of his works:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 20, 2023, 10:44:22 PMSongs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari (for orchestra) is one of my favourites of his works:

Mine too and thanks, Jeffrey. I find the 3rd Symphony which is dedicated to his father most moving.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roy Bland

pjme

Good to rediscover some Eshpai.