Conductors- which are your favourite and least favourites conducting Opera?

Started by yashin, July 26, 2007, 08:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozart

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: MozartMobster on July 29, 2007, 07:07:22 PM
"Im gonna eat ye"
-James Levine

I'm watching the Met Ring cycle from '83 at the moment and have a chuckle at Levines 'honky 'fro'. I notice he hasn't changed his hairdo in the intervening 25 years! ;)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

PSmith08

Böhm did slow down toward the end of his career. For example, his 1941 Beethoven 9th (SD) ran 1:05:21, while his 1981 version (WP) took 1:19:01. It is, though, important to remember that his Ring is, timing-wise, very close to Pierre Boulez' set. In fact, I think the only music-drama where Böhm isn't marginally faster than Boulez is Götterdämmerung. That is just plain fast, especially if you consider Georg Solti's 1983 set or Joseph Keilberth's 1955 set to be idiomatic and reasonable. If you look to Daniel Barenboim or James Levine, you're going to notice how fast Böhm really was.

His Die Frau ohne Schatten, though, is a revelation - cuts and all.

Anne

This is a no-brainer:  Carlo Rizzi and Placido Domingo.  Can't stand either one.

Que

My favourites, and I'll also mention conductors who recorded very little - as long as the did exceptionally well.

Bruno Walter - Don Giovanni
Wilhelm Furtwängler: Fidelio
Erich Kleiber - Fidelio; Die Frau Ohne Schatten; Der Rosenkavalier; Le Nozze di Figaro
Josef Krips - Don Giovanni; Die Entführung aus dem Serail
Otto Klemperer - Die Zauberflöte; Der fliegende Holländer
Karl Böhm - Fidelio; Strauss: Die Frau ohne Schatten, Ariadne auf Naxos, Salome (live), Arabella, Daphne, Elektra; Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen, Tristan und Isolde.
Tullio Serafin: anything (Italian)
Arturo Toscanini: Verdi
Rudolf Kempe - Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, Lohengrin,
Dimitri Mitropoulos: Don Giovanni, Elektra
René Jacobs: all his Mozart; Orfeo ed Euridice

Q