Schoenberg's Sheen

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 07:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Cato on September 10, 2007, 06:04:49 AM
I still vividly recall a July day many decades ago, and our valiant little plastic stereo is attempting to squeeze forth Schoenberg's Third and Fourth Quartets at high volume (of course!).

My mother comes in fuming: "I've had it with that stuff!  Don't you realize it's hot enough already in here!?!"   

So I had to wait for the weather to cool down...or for my mother to cool down!    0:)
same reactions that would come from my parents, probably most parents  :P
(they just aren't hip and cool ya know?)

karlhenning

At this point, if we're in the space hearing it performed, Maria will enjoy Schoenberg.  She has very different patience-aspects when it's a matter of listening to a recording at home.

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on September 10, 2007, 07:15:23 AM
At this point, if we're in the space hearing it performed, Maria will enjoy Schoenberg.  She has very different patience-aspects when it's a matter of listening to a recording at home.

Aye!  Herr Schoenberg is not too welcome when my wife is around!

"Why don't you play something pleasant once in a while?"

Schoenberg?  Not pleasant?!     :o      0:)   
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Haffner

Quote from: Cato on September 10, 2007, 06:04:49 AM
I still vividly recall a July day many decades ago, and our valiant little plastic stereo is attempting to squeeze forth Schoenberg's Third and Fourth Quartets at high volume (of course!).

My mother comes in fuming: "I've had it with that stuff!  Don't you realize it's hot enough already in here!?!"   

So I had to wait for the weather to cool down...or for my mother to cool down!    0:)

:D

Post, and story, of the day.

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on September 10, 2007, 07:15:23 AM

My girl thinks alot of Schoenberg's music is "too creepy". Being that I happen to really enjoy "creepy music" in general, I tend to just throw on the headphones!

not edward

Quote from: Cato on September 10, 2007, 08:58:32 AM
Aye!  Herr Schoenberg is not too welcome when my wife is around!

"Why don't you play something pleasant once in a while?"

Schoenberg?  Not pleasant?!     :o      0:)   
My wife claims Webern makes her physically ill. But she sat through Peter Serkin playing the Schoenberg piano concerto with apparent enjoyment.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

greg

Quote from: Haffner on September 10, 2007, 11:49:08 AM

My girl thinks alot of Schoenberg's music is "too creepy". Being that I happen to really enjoy "creepy music" in general, I tend to just throw on the headphones!
you should throw on a CD of one of Penderecki's orchestral works, just turn it up all the way to bug her.... no, even better, turn on the Threnody to wake her up in the morning instead of an alarm clock

"It's time to rise and schine!"
:) :) :) :) :) :)

Catison

Quote from: Haffner on September 10, 2007, 04:50:11 AM
This is an excellent point, and I admit that I was a bit overwhelmed when I first heard Schoenberg pieces like the 4th String Quartet. The 3rd SQ literally frightened me (particularly the brilliant, dense 1st movement). But when I slapped on Pierrot Lunaire, I was immediately enthralled and admiring. As Karl mentioned, that's just me personally. Others might get more of an "accessible" vibe from Schoenbeg's other works.

I find this happens a lot.  A work like Pierrot is inpenetrable to most people.  Yet after being confronted with the likes of String Quartet No. 3, coming back to Pierrot is a treat.  And whadyaknow, they actually like the piece.  I often seek out the weirdest most extreme example of something in order to tune my ear and thus enjoy a greater variety of music.
-Brett

Haffner

Quote from: Catison on September 14, 2007, 02:17:18 PM
I find this happens a lot.  A work like Pierrot is inpenetrable to most people.  Yet after being confronted with the likes of String Quartet No. 3, coming back to Pierrot is a treat.  And whadyaknow, they actually like the piece.  I often seek out the weirdest most extreme example of something in order to tune my ear and thus enjoy a greater variety of music.

Efficacious approach!

Catison

Ronald Schoenberg talks about Arnold Schoenberg
-Brett

Kullervo

Reviving this thread.  0:)

The Arnold Schoenberg Center has released newly-surfaced footage of the Schoenbergs at home in California, carousing with a staggering chunk of intelligentsia living there in exile, or just visiting.

http://www.youtube.com/v/hr_ViW2rNt4

kristopaivinen

Quote from: Corey on May 16, 2008, 07:47:48 AM
Reviving this thread.  0:)

The Arnold Schoenberg Center has released newly-surfaced footage of the Schoenbergs at home in California, carousing with a staggering chunk of intelligentsia living there in exile, or just visiting.
No sound...

What's Russell doing here? I don't imagine him having any relation to Schoenberg or his music.

Except for the anatomy, Schoenberg looks very much like Rodney Dangerfield, especially in his facial gestures. Imagine Schoenberg telling those jokes.

Kullervo

Quote from: kristopaivinen on May 16, 2008, 10:11:55 AM
No sound...

Yeah, well they hadn't invented VHS recorders quite yet at that time.  ::)

Kullervo

Quote from: kristopaivinen on May 16, 2008, 10:11:55 AM
What's Russell doing here? I don't imagine him having any relation to Schoenberg or his music.

I forgot to say something about this. What in blue hell does Schoenberg's music have to do with his choice of acquaintances? Isn't it at all possible they were... friends?

kristopaivinen

Quote from: Corey on May 17, 2008, 04:39:53 AM
I forgot to say something about this. What in blue hell does Schoenberg's music have to do with his choice of acquaintances? Isn't it at all possible they were... friends?

Then I expect there to be sources citing their friendship, other than this video which only shows Russell but not Schoenberg. Is there more information on that?

greg

Quote from: Corey on May 17, 2008, 04:39:53 AM
you never know w/out sound...... they could worst enemies, telling each other yo momma jokes over a fresh Saulgar or two.....

Kullervo

Quote from: kristopaivinen on May 17, 2008, 05:28:27 AM
Then I expect there to be sources citing their friendship, other than this video which only shows Russell but not Schoenberg. Is there more information on that?

I don't have any other information other than the description of the video from the site:

The Home video, taken by Serge Hovey, shows Schönberg and friends such as Ira Gershwin, Thomas Mann, Bertrand Russell, and Richard Buhlig at a beach party in Malibu, further family members: Ronald and Nuria Schoenberg, additional clip: Aldous Huxley.

Since the video comes from so authoritative a source as the Arnold Schoenberg Center in Vienna, I will take it their word for it. Russell was actually lecturing at the university in Los Angeles at the time, and with the concentration of European intellectual society in California, it's not at all surprising that they would have at least met.

Mark G. Simon

Maybe Schoenberg invited Mann over to threaten legal action against him for making Adrian Leverkühn the inventor of the 12 tone system in Doktor Faustus, and he made this film of Mann stating his defense, figuring he could get a lip reader to transcribe it, and from there hand the text to his lawyer.

Kullervo

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on May 17, 2008, 10:56:13 AM
Maybe Schoenberg invited Mann over to threaten legal action against him for making Adrian Leverkühn the inventor of the 12 tone system in Doktor Faustus, and he made this film of Mann stating his defense, figuring he could get a lip reader to transcribe it, and from there hand the text to his lawyer.

Mann states at the beginning of Faustus that the 12-tone method is Schoenberg's intellectual property. Ipso facto, your joke is a failure.

... still funny, though. ;D

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: Corey on May 17, 2008, 11:02:36 AM
Mann states at the beginning of Faustus that the 12-tone method is Schoenberg's intellectual property.

Perhaps as a result of that meeting