Schoenberg's Sheen

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 07:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 07, 2009, 09:53:24 AM
Excellent, thanks Corey!

Incidently, I just listened to the Verklarte Nacht for string sextet via Naxos on-line library (Naxos Classical Archives).  It was a performance by the Hollywood SQ with Alvin Dinkin, viola II and Kurt Reher, cello II.  It was beautiful!  :)

Ray, have you heard the Chamber Symphonies yet? Have ya?

ChamberNut

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 14, 2009, 08:09:52 AM
Ray, have you heard the Chamber Symphonies yet? Have ya?

Only once, three years ago, it was paired up with Beethoven's 1st Symphony and the Leonore Overture I.  I don't remember it, so I will have to pay it a visit again! :)

karlhenning

Both of 'em, Ray, both of 'em!  They're both on that splendid disc mentioned here:

Quote from: Kullervo on April 07, 2009, 09:09:40 AM
Might I suggest this disc as a supplement?

. . . and both of them are also on the Phillips two-fer reissue of the Ozawa/BSO/&al. late-'70s account of Gurrelieder (though performed by other forces than the G.)

karlhenning

There's a Ray post missing on this thread  ;)

bhodges

Have been giving some serious listens to Hilary Hahn's fabulous performance of the Schoenberg Violin Concerto--heroic, by any measure.  Her confidence is unbelievable, and Salonen and the Swedish ensemble are terrific.  I'm not the first to say it: this might be the recording that turns someone on to the composer.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on July 06, 2009, 07:07:08 AM
Have been giving some serious listens to Hilary Hahn's fabulous performance of the Schoenberg Violin Concerto--heroic, by any measure.  Her confidence is unbelievable, and Salonen and the Swedish ensemble are terrific.  I'm not the first to say it: this might be the recording that turns someone on to the composer.

Or, which convinces some listeners that Schoenberg is musical, even after Gurrelieder and Verklärte Nacht.

Cato

Yesterday's (September 24th) Wall Street Journal carried an article on Arnold Schoenberg's music as connected to Kandinsky's paintings, and the formation of Der Blaue Reiter.

See:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204488304574429032306681244.html
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Franco

Quote from: Cato on September 25, 2009, 06:37:10 AM
Yesterday's (September 24th) Wall Street Journal carried an article on Arnold Schoenberg's music as connected to Kandinsky's paintings, and the formation of Der Blaue Reiter.

See:

I saw that but did not read it.  But a few years ago I went to an exhibit that was also exploring their correspondence and friendship.  I bought the catalog and was somewhat familiar with the idea.  But thanks for posting the link since I would like to refresh my memory by reading the article in the WSJ.

bhodges

Quote from: Cato on September 25, 2009, 06:37:10 AM

See:

I went to Miller Theatre on Wednesday night, and mostly liked the piece a lot.  If nothing else, you could just close your eyes and listen to Sarah Rothenberg's superb piano work in Schoenberg's Three Piano Pieces and Scriabin's Vers la flamme (my faves), or Susan Narucki's gorgeous soprano in Schoenberg's Second String Quartet.  But the visuals actually worked most of the time, which is not usually the case.  I found the whole evening quite interesting.

--Bruce

CD

Great news for fools (like me) that snapped them up separately.  >:( It might be worth it if OOP stuff like the choral works are included.

greg

I assume this means before long they'll have a Complete Schoenberg box set?...

karlhenning

WHERE IS MY SCHOENBERG?!!???!!!

karlhenning

snyprrr

Scarpia

This release

is special because, if I recall correctly, in includes the first chamber symphony Op 9b, which is a revised version scored for full orchestra, rather than chamber orchestra.   I find it more satisfying than the original version for 15 solo instruments, and Inbal's performance is superb.  The fine, Philips analog sound is also first rate.

Lethevich

Thanks for pointing this out. I love the chamber symphonies for their maximal chamber music style, but if Verklärte Nacht worked well, then surely this will too.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

abidoful

Nice thread :)
Some of my fav;
Songs op 2 ("Jesus Bettelt!!")
the supersweet "Verklärte Nacht", op 4
"Pelleas und Melisande"
The First String Quartet.op7 (...the ending melts my heart...)
Kammer Symphonie, op 9
The ballad, "Königin Grey"(wonderfully tragic..!)
Pierrot lunaire (totally crazy!!!)
ERWARTUNG
The piano suite (its cool)
The ochestral variations
Die Jakobsleiter (---wow--!!!"die seele"!!!)
The survivor of Warsaw
i think thats it (dony know them all---posiibly the Gurrelieder also, but i dont know it so well, and i hate the ending melodrama, or the way its done- sounds grotesque-not sure is it meant to...)

The orchestral variations

snyprrr

I have reached an impasse with my listening of SQs 3-4.

Currently I have the Leipzigers/MDG, and, it drives me nuts, because with every version I hear, I can't tell, a), Are they playing it funny?, b), Is the music really written so jerkily? I imagine a completely smooth performance, but I haven't heard it yet. Technically, I like the group just fine, but, from the very first notes of No.3 I feel strange. What? Didn't they,?... huh?,... I can't even tell if I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing. Anyway...

I had the New Vienna SQ/Philips, that I recall being shrill and,... well, I didn't really care for the music back then either, so,..., but I do recall, they had eh sound and the experience was just not there.

I hasten not to get the Arditti, just because of price (at the moment), but, do you think they are the best, overall?? I can certainly see them nailing 3-4 square and center, with plently of sound effects in No.4. Anyone?

Which brings me to the Kolisch set. Is this the only set that gets it right on 3-4? Or what? Again, I can certainly imagine. But, how is the recording? Again, so many questions, ack!!

There is no Julliard cd that I know of for 3-4.

There's the Schonberg/Chandos set I'm not keen on investing in. I don't recall the reviews, but I think they've got fair enough admiration so far. But, I'm not interested in a package.

I just want 3-4!! >:D >:D :o :o :o

And, I don't know what you think of the Leipziger group, but, I like them, but, I just keep getting this nagging feeling that something is missing. I almost feel they make the music sound more jerky than written. I could be wrong. If you tell me they nail it, ok, I'll listen more.

There is some strange one off cd on CPO of only No.3, with an analysis track after the quartet, as if this were the SQ No.3 Symposium. It's totally OOP. I don't know the group.

I think there may be one or two other single takes by other groups, but nothing pops out (something on Koch?). Where oh where shall I go on this??

abidoful

Quote from: snyprrr on March 02, 2010, 10:04:20 PM

Currently I have the Leipzigers/MDG, and, it drives me nuts, because with every version I hear, I can't tell, a), Are they playing it funny?, b), Is the music really written so jerkily? I imagine a completely smooth performance, but I haven't heard it yet. Technically, I like the group just fine, but, from the very first notes of No.3 I feel strange. What? Didn't they,?... huh?,... I can't even tell if I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing. Anyway...

There is no Julliard cd that I know of for 3-4.

There's the Schonberg/Chandos set I'm not keen on investing in. I don't recall the reviews, but I think they've got fair enough admiration so far. But, I'm not interested in a package.

I just want 3-4!! >:D >:D :o :o :o

And, I don't know what you think of the Leipziger group, but, I like them, but, I just keep getting this nagging feeling that something is missing. I almost feel they make the music sound more jerky than written.

I suggest  you find the scores of those Quartets (if you can read the notes) and make your own opinion of them :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: snyprrr on March 02, 2010, 10:04:20 PM

Currently I have the Leipzigers/MDG, and, it drives me nuts, because with every version I hear, I can't tell, a), Are they playing it funny?, b), Is the music really written so jerkily? I imagine a completely smooth performance, but I haven't heard it yet.

Number 3 is a rather jerky piece  ;D  Seriously, I don't hear a tremendous difference between the versions I own (Kohon on LP, Lasalle and Leipziger CD) although I would say the Lasalle is marginally smoother. It's available cheaply on Brilliant.

QuoteWhich brings me to the Kolisch set. Is this the only set that gets it right on 3-4? Or what? Again, I can certainly imagine. But, how is the recording? Again, so many questions, ack!!

You can sample the Kolisch recording (two versions of number 3) here and the Lasalle here  Arditti is OOP apparently. But if you're rich that won't be a problem  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"