Schoenberg's Sheen

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 07:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwal

He died of heart failure. He had been suffering badly from asthma for some time. His biographer Stuckenschmidt quotes a letter S. wrote about his treatment shortly before his death: "For some months now I have not dared to sleep in a bed, only in a chair. They gave me various treatments, for diabetes, pneumonia, kidneys, hernia and dropsy. I suffer from lack of energy and dizziness, and my eyes, which used to be extraordinarily good, make it difficult to read." Presumably the doctors were not sure of "the cause" of his deteriorating condition - his heart had already  stopped once (from this "NDE" the great string trio was born) - and tried various things out. His heart beat one last time quite strongly, and then he was dead, according to a telegram from Gertrud to his sister Ottilie Blumauer-Schönberg in Berlin, in which she said that for some time now he had been very tired and longed for death. Apparently his last utterance was "harmony".
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Mirror Image

Thanks mjwal for the information.

Parsifal

After reading these last posts, I feel like hearing Herzgewächse now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz98sU_rPK8

Lethevich

Let's talk quartets! Alongside his four numbered works, there is a youth quartet in D minor major, a lesser piece with a certain Schubertian/Brahmsian flavour, and also two stand-alone presto and scherzo movements. These are scarcely recorded, but the Leipzig quartet's disc with the D minor coupled with No.1 is very sensitively played and places in perfect context. The work should be recorded more often, as it's an essential part of Schoenberg's stylistic continuum.

The LaSalle Quartet cycle feels a bit outdated next to the Leipzig Quartet, and I don't find myself listening to it often. What is the Arditti Quartet's recording like? They are mentioned a lot but have been OOP for a ridiculously long time considering the stature of the group and works. The Schoenberg Quartet on Chandos, available only in a mid-priced box of his chamber music has been on my radar, but I must confess I don't covet that set primarilly for the quartets. Has anybody heard the New Vienna Quartet recording on Philips? I initially learned the cycle through the Kolisch Quartet recordings, but they sound too old for me to enjoy, I'm afraid.

Outside of the cycles, the Prazák Quartet Praga disc of No.3 and the two movements, as well as a Webern arrangement of the first chamber symphony for piano quintet is great for the repertoire choice alone, but the third is a very good recording - I can't claim that I find my adored Leipzig Quartet recording of the piece any better. The Naxos disc of No.3 and 4 by the Fred Sherry String Quartet (who?) looks tempting but I am wary from reports of it sounding rather dry.

I post this here because I don't think it will get much attention in the recordings section...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 12, 2011, 06:33:44 PM
Let's talk quartets!

What is the Arditti Quartet's recording like? They are mentioned a lot but have been OOP for a ridiculously long time considering the stature of the group and works.

I have the Arditti set but have nothing to compare it to, repertoire-wise. But that won't stop me from heaping praise on the set! One thing is certain right off the bat: the level of commitment is total. And with such a talented foursome the end result is stellar.

Why it languishes out of print is a total mystery....

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

snyprrr

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 12, 2011, 06:40:59 PM
I have the Arditti set but have nothing to compare it to, repertoire-wise. But that won't stop me from heaping praise on the set! One thing is certain right off the bat: the level of commitment is total. And with such a talented foursome the end result is stellar.

Why it languishes out of print is a total mystery....

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 12, 2011, 06:33:44 PM
Let's talk quartets! Alongside his four numbered works, there is a youth quartet in D minor, a lesser piece with a certain Schubertian/Brahmsian flavour, and also two stand-alone presto and scherzo movements. These are scarcely recorded, but the Leipzig quartet's disc with the D minor coupled with No.1 is very sensitively played and places in perfect context. The work should be recorded more often, as it's an essential part of Schoenberg's stylistic continuum.

The LaSalle Quartet cycle feels a bit outdated next to the Leipzig Quartet, and I don't find myself listening to it often. What is the Arditti Quartet's recording like? They are mentioned a lot but have been OOP for a ridiculously long time considering the stature of the group and works. The Schoenberg Quartet on Chandos, available only in a mid-priced box of his chamber music has been on my radar, but I must confess I don't covet that set primarilly for the quartets. Has anybody heard the New Vienna Quartet recording on Philips?

Outside of the cycles, the Prazák Quartet Praga disc of No.3 and the two movements, as well as a Webern arrangement of the first chamber symphony for piano quintet is great for the repertoire choice alone, but the third is a very good recording - I can't claim that I find my adored Leipzig Quartet recording of the piece any better. The Naxos disc of No.3 and 4 by the Fred Sherry String Quartet (who?) looks tempting but I am wary from reports of it sounding rather dry.

I post this here because I don't think it will get much attention in the recordings section...

Arditti > Leipzig

The Ardittis just own this stuff (listen on YT). You hear what sounds like everything from them, and realize the Leipzigers are just 'Very Very Good'. If the Sherry cd is marred :'(, that really leaves no competition. I do have the Berner on Koch in No.1/Op.7, and they beat out the Leipzigers on that one.

Recordings on 3 & 4 are so rare, that ANY blemish on that Naxos disc should be cause for rioting! ::) What scarcity there is on Amazon (Wihan,...??,...??,...) is probably not worth the trouble. I sure haaave been waiting on some feedback for that Sherry cd,... what gives Karl? ;D,... why hasn't someone 'sacrificed' themselves (as my mother would say) and taken one for the team here? Must I? I'm holding out for a good copy of the Arditti, most preferrably in the old Montaigne box, drool drool. I actually had a copy offEbay I think, last year, but it had a very slight skip in No.4,... yea, no, couldn't do that, and returned it :'(,... so, if you think there CAN be more than the Arditti, I sure don't know what it is, because they play No.4 with such perfect 'Expressionism' and vehemence of attack that it WILL make you like this music.

Going for $80 pretty much anywhere.

btw- Lethe,... I found that early SQ very very Dvorakian,...mm,... I guess I was disappointed,... I think I could swear I've heard that one melody elsewhere...

The fact that neither the Peterson, Hagen,... nor the Emerson, nor any other major group seems to find these pieces worthy of their time, is interesting. I think it's political.

Lethevich

I also found the student quartet's first movement theme to have a very airy, rustic Dvořákian quality, but didn't have the confidence to stand by my impression when I stood back and thought "Schoenberg, Dvořák... what?". Nice observation :)

I also agree about how strange the lack of recordings are. It's nothing to do with any problems with the pieces themselves, which are bulletproof in every respect. I found the Arditti cycle shared somewhere by a kind soul, so will give it a listen sometime. I can pm you a link if you like - although iirc your connection sucks/sucked at one point?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

petrarch

Quote from: snyprrr on July 12, 2011, 07:17:11 PM
Going for $80 pretty much anywhere.

I believe you can get the FLACs with relative ease. But I am with you; getting the Montaigne CD with the original cover is a desire I share (unfortunately that one was not part of my purchases when I stocked up on Montaigne CDs in the mid-90s).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

karlhenning

But that's funny! I've long known that he died on the 13th (of July), but if I ever knew that he was born on the 13th, I had forgotten.

Leon

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on July 12, 2011, 06:33:44 PM
Let's talk quartets! Alongside his four numbered works, there is a youth quartet in D minor major, a lesser piece with a certain Schubertian/Brahmsian flavour, and also two stand-alone presto and scherzo movements. These are scarcely recorded, but the Leipzig quartet's disc with the D minor coupled with No.1 is very sensitively played and places in perfect context. The work should be recorded more often, as it's an essential part of Schoenberg's stylistic continuum.

The LaSalle Quartet cycle feels a bit outdated next to the Leipzig Quartet, and I don't find myself listening to it often. What is the Arditti Quartet's recording like? They are mentioned a lot but have been OOP for a ridiculously long time considering the stature of the group and works. The Schoenberg Quartet on Chandos, available only in a mid-priced box of his chamber music has been on my radar, but I must confess I don't covet that set primarilly for the quartets. Has anybody heard the New Vienna Quartet recording on Philips? I initially learned the cycle through the Kolisch Quartet recordings, but they sound too old for me to enjoy, I'm afraid.

I have the LaSalle and New Vienna but find myself listening to the Aron Quartett a lot:

[asin]B00014AQA4[/asin]

And I still like my first collection of these works in an old Vox box by the Kohon & Ramor Quartets

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 14, 2011, 05:28:01 AM
But that's funny! I've long known that he died on the 13th (of July), but if I ever knew that he was born on the 13th, I had forgotten.

Yes, the number "13" played a big roll in Schoenberg's life. :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Leon on September 14, 2011, 06:08:52 AM
And I still like my first collection of these works in an old Vox box by the Kohon & Ramor Quartets

I have that too  8)  Mine was free. The base library gave away books and records that were seldom or never borrowed to make room for newer acquisitions. The LPs were in pristine condition (I doubt they'd ever been played). I just snapped this picture:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Leon

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 14, 2011, 08:14:15 AM
I have that too  8)  Mine was free. The base library gave away books and records that were seldom or never borrowed to make room for newer acquisitions. The LPs were in pristine condition (I doubt they'd ever been played). I just snapped this picture:

Sarge

Ha! - you're the first person to say they had that set when I've mentioned it; I was beginning to believe that I had the only one ever pressed.  I think for a while it was the only complete set.  And thanks for the image - when I Googled it, nothing came up except for small ones.

:)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Leon

Arkiv Music is having a sale on Naxos and I just ordered Vol. 1 of Robert Craft's complete traversal of Schoenberg.

Looking forward to getting the rest of the boxes as they come out.

Nice price too.

Karl Henning

Very nice!  I already have the lion's share of those on the source Koch discs . . . great to see that the recordings continue to be available via Naxos.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: Arnold on December 13, 2011, 08:26:05 AM
Arkiv Music is having a sale on Naxos and I just ordered Vol. 1 of Robert Craft's complete traversal of Schoenberg.

Looking forward to getting the rest of the boxes as they come out.

Nice price too.

I bought both sets a year or so ago and they are very good indeed. But in all honesty, I think Karajan's Pelleas und Melissande easily outdoes Craft's. I also think Craft's Gurre-lieder was good, but it didn't particularly make me forget Chailly or Sinopoli. The Violin Concerto in the set is well performed, but it doesn't top Hilary Hahn's remarkable performance. The sets are of good value and contain some rarities and will help fill in some holes in a Schoenberg collection.

What's your favorite Schoenberg work?

Leon

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 13, 2011, 11:03:31 AM
What's your favorite Schoenberg work?

I am not sure that I have a "favorite", or at least it would be too hard to narrow down to one.  His music is such that I find almost his entire oeuvre fascinating. 

That said, the Piano Concerto, Op. 42, Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 16, the Third String Quartet, Op. 30 and the Three Piano Pieces, Op. 11 are works I  keep coming back to. 

I am less a fan of his early, pre-dodecophonic, works.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Arnold on December 13, 2011, 11:42:58 AM
I am not sure that I have a "favorite", or at least it would be too hard to narrow down to one.  His music is such that I find almost his entire oeuvre fascinating. 

That said, the Piano Concerto, Op. 42, Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 16, the Third String Quartet, Op. 30 and the Three Piano Pieces, Op. 11 are works I  keep coming back to. 

I am less a fan of his early, pre-dodecophonic, works.

Interesting!

I've always had a fondness for the Serenade, Op.24.  Love Pierrot, if the singer isn't too . . . distractingDie glückliche Hand, Herzgewächse, the Kammersymphonien . . . all the quartets, and (lately) the Wind Quintet . . . so much of it I find toothsome.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA