Wilhelm Georg Berger (1929-1993)

Started by vandermolen, October 30, 2013, 02:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I have enjoyed this new release:
[asin]B00BSJDJKU[/asin]
As there appears to be no generic Romanian composer thread I am placing it here.

The Symphony No 4 'Tragic' is a darkly eloquent work, in two movements, lasting 43 minutes. I had never heard of this composer before. Certainly the music has 'nothing of the circus' about it, but I played it through four times, with increasing appreciation. It is lyrical, without being especially tuneful but conveys a gritty integrity and dark poetry, which I found appealing. The notes describe it as 'mahlerian' but it did not particularly remind me of any other composer. The Symphony has a searching and visionary quality and will, I suspect, give up more of its secrets with repeated hearings. A review I read noted a connection with Sibelius's 7th Symphony. I would not personally connect the two works but they do share a sense of organic growth and my attention was held throughout the work. I haven't listened to the Viola Concerto yet.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/Oct13/Berger_sy4_7777562.htm
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Thanks for starting a thread on this fascinating composer, Jeffrey! I really hope that CPO recording is the first in a series of Berger's orchestral music, as I highly enjoyed it as well. On the basis of what little I have heard, Berger seems like a serious, individual composer who merits more attention. Colin compiled a catalogue of Berger's orchestral music over at the Art-Music Forum (where many of Berger's works are available for download), which reveals that he composed 24(!) symphonies, among other compositions: http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,793.0.html

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 30, 2013, 02:51:30 PM
Thanks for starting a thread on this fascinating composer, Jeffrey! I really hope that CPO recording is the first in a series of Berger's orchestral music, as I highly enjoyed it as well. On the basis of what little I have heard, Berger seems like a serious, individual composer who merits more attention. Colin compiled a catalogue of Berger's orchestral music over at the Art-Music Forum (where many of Berger's works are available for download), which reveals that he composed 24(!) symphonies, among other compositions: http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,793.0.html

Thanks Kyle, and I appreciated your own contribution there too. The Symphony No. 10 for Organ and Orchestra sounds intriguing.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 30, 2013, 03:03:01 PM
Thanks Kyle, and I appreciated your own contribution there too. The Symphony No. 10 for Organ and Orchestra sounds intriguing.

Thank you! Why haven't you been posting at the A-MF recently, Jeffrey? You know how much Colin and I (and others, I'm sure) appreciate your contributions! :)

kyjo

BTW the Symphony no. 10 for Organ and Orchestra is a strong work-one of the best I have heard from Berger yet!

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 30, 2013, 03:10:45 PM
Thank you! Why haven't you been posting at the A-MF recently, Jeffrey? You know how much Colin and I (and others, I'm sure) appreciate your contributions! :)

No special reason Kyle. Pressure of work I guess but I will be back!

Sean

Another new name. Okay, I'll give one of his works a bashing over the next few days via the Naxos site.

vandermolen

;D
Quote from: Sean on October 31, 2013, 05:20:45 AM
Another new name. Okay, I'll give one of his works a bashing over the next few days via the Naxos site.

Let us know what you think.

Sean

Actually I'm now having trouble tracking him down- I thought Naxos had the CPO recordings but this isn't the case. On YT there's the Second symphony but it's an early work, there are 21 I think.

kyjo

There are three members who you can always count on to keep a thread about a super-obscure composer such as Berger alive: Jeffrey, Sean, and myself! ;D

pjme

I was intrigued.  At first I thought that it was a new recording of music by Theodor Berger, an Austrian composer.

But Rumanian Wilhelm Georg seems to be a most rewarding discovery.  At JPC ( distributor of CPO) one can listen to fragments. http://www.jpc.de/

Thanks!

Peter

cilgwyn

Quote from: kyjo on October 31, 2013, 11:18:35 AM
There are three members who you can always count on to keep a thread about a super-obscure composer such as Berger alive: Jeffrey, Sean, and myself! ;D
I haven't heard this composer yet,but keep up the good work! :)

André

+ 1 for the CPO disc of symphony no 4, which I discovered only last year. I was very impressed by this composer's music.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on October 05, 2018, 05:07:40 PM
+ 1 for the CPO disc of symphony no 4, which I discovered only last year. I was very impressed by this composer's music.
:)