Women’s Soccer/Football World Cup 2023

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, July 24, 2023, 01:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 20, 2023, 12:52:19 AMI was surprised to read that no one either in terms of British royalty nor any of the higher ups in British politics will be attending the final.  In contrast, the queen of Spain will be there.  My understanding is that Prince William is the head of the FA too.  He did send a nice recorded message to the Lionesses (with Charlotte by his side).  King Charles also issued a statement.

PD

The UK foreign secretary was there.

Excellent final. And I've won the office sweep too!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on August 20, 2023, 05:46:57 AMThe UK foreign secretary was there.

Excellent final. And I've won the office sweep too!
Oh, good!  And on both accounts.  More new CDs on the way?  ;)

By the way, I noticed that Billie Jean King was there too...pretty cool!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

I don't know what I'll do with my $100 prize, but that idea has some merit...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Spain deserved to win. They were sharper and more incisive than England.
Was a mistake to substitute Russo at half-time.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 20, 2023, 01:44:20 AMI wonder whether or not these days that it's a case of damned if you do attend (Why are they spending the taxpayers money on this?) and damned if you don't (What, no support for the lionesses!)?

Are you watching from home with your wife, Jeffrey?

Just poured my first cup of morning coffee here.

PD
I watched at home with my wife occasionally dropping in whilst doing the gardening and jumping up and down during exciting moments in the match (usually whilst standing directly between myself and the TV screen  ::))
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Luke on August 20, 2023, 02:31:23 AMNo, I think most Brits are shocked they're not going (and yet can find time and money for so much else).
I agree.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

vandermolen

Madiel

A whole lot of sponsors, and governments for that matter, need to get off their behinds and recognise that there is a massive appetite for women's sport.

As a work colleague put it, the male football fans will watch it because it's football. The female fans will watch it because it's their game. And a hell of a lot of girls want to play.

vandermolen

Was sorry to hear that the Spanish captain and goal-scorer's father died - but they sensibly kept the news from her until after the match.

Madiel

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2023, 10:45:08 PMWas sorry to hear that the Spanish captain and goal-scorer's father died - but they sensibly kept the news from her until after the match.

Before hearing that, I had posted on social media asking whether anyone in the world had had a better week than Olga Carmona.

Just think. Only 23 and ends up being the on-field captain (the squad captain wasn't picked for the last few games). Scores the winning goal in a World Cup semifinal. Then scores the only goal in a World Cup final and voted player of the match. The biggest matches of her life are a roaring success.

Only to be told afterwards that her father died in between those 2 matches.

Apparently he'd been unwell for a long time, so his death might not be as colossal shock as if it had been sudden. But still, what a sad situation when she should be on top of the world.

Her mother and brothers had been in New Zealand for some of the earlier matches, then went back to Spain - presumably because of how unwell her father was. And then they came back for the final. So they were there, watching the match unfold. And not telling her what had happened.

vandermolen

Quote from: Madiel on August 21, 2023, 12:20:51 AMBefore hearing that, I had posted on social media asking whether anyone in the world had had a better week than Olga Carmona.

Just think. Only 23 and ends up being the on-field captain (the squad captain wasn't picked for the last few games). Scores the winning goal in a World Cup semifinal. Then scores the only goal in a World Cup final and voted player of the match. The biggest matches of her life are a roaring success.

Only to be told afterwards that her father died in between those 2 matches.

Apparently he'd been unwell for a long time, so his death might not be as colossal shock as if it had been sudden. But still, what a sad situation when she should be on top of the world.

Her mother and brothers had been in New Zealand for some of the earlier matches, then went back to Spain - presumably because of how unwell her father was. And then they came back for the final. So they were there, watching the match unfold. And not telling her what had happened.
That's so sad but am pleased that her mother and brothers were there for her. I didn't realise that the usual captain had been dropped! The apparent dysfuncionality within the squad makes Spain's achievement even greater.

Madiel

Quote from: vandermolen on August 21, 2023, 01:15:20 AMI didn't realise that the usual captain had been dropped!

Neither did I until the trophy presentation. The captain was the one who picked up the trophy at the end.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

vandermolen