5 Favorite Fish to Eat

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, May 21, 2022, 06:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on June 13, 2022, 08:36:28 AM
Sounds great. The most memorable holiday of my life was Memphis. I have thought New Orleans a similar sort of place and maybe a repeat Memphis experience.

Yes, somewhat similar except that NOLA is more exotic and Afro. You will like there. Have you seen the movie 007 Live and Let Die, or Angel Heart?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Irons on June 13, 2022, 08:36:28 AM
Sounds great. The most memorable holiday of my life was Memphis. I have thought New Orleans a similar sort of place and maybe a repeat Memphis experience.

Hey Irons - I've been to Memphis twice, stayed at the historic Peabody Hotel w/ the afternoon duck event - for others just a few of the many attractions below, Sun Studio, Graceland, Stax Museum and Beale Street - at a dinner on Beale my wife got up and sang, and we bought her a beautiful Epiphone guitar at the Gibson factory (believe they may have left town?) - could go on - and Memphis BBQ is not to be missed!  Dave :)

Irons

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 13, 2022, 10:42:08 AM
Hey Irons - I've been to Memphis twice, stayed at the historic Peabody Hotel w/ the afternoon duck event - for others just a few of the many attractions below, Sun Studio, Graceland, Stax Museum and Beale Street - at a dinner on Beale my wife got up and sang, and we bought her a beautiful Epiphone guitar at the Gibson factory (believe they may have left town?) - could go on - and Memphis BBQ is not to be missed!  Dave :)

Ah yes, we stayed at the Peabody too. When I tell friends and family how the lift (sorry elevator ;)) door opens and a line of ducks march to an indoor fountain in the middle of the foyer for a dip I get the impression I'm not believed. Did the Sun studio twice and of course Graceland, how could you miss that! As all nationalities Americans have their faults but lacking generosity is not one of them. My wife and I enjoying a Blues session at a small club in Beale Street and the waitress came across and placed two beers on our table. With some consternation I said I did not order them! She said I know, he did! It turns out a guy was having such a great time he treated everyone in the club to a beer! I will never forget such an act of generosity and kindness to complete strangers.

Stax. I have the T shirt.  8)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

AnotherSpin

Local fish caught in the early morning of the day. The type of fish can vary, it is not as important as the freshness of the fish, the one cooked a few days or weeks later tastes different.

In the north-western shores of the Black Sea sea pikeperch, mullet, goby, plaice, sargan taste fine if prepared and served properly.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 21, 2023, 09:42:02 AMId like to try stewed eels in London. Too bad they don't make eel pies anymore.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20230820-the-untold-story-of-londons-original-fast-food
I saw that article today and was thinking of inquiring as to how many of our British folks (and others included) grew up (or discovered later in life) various eel dishes that used to be common and many vendors sold them.

I've had (and love) the unagi that I've had in Japanese restaurants.
What else?  Boy, had just discovered Chilean sea bass when it went on the endangered list--so that ended that.
Love salmon, but it's become harder and harder to get any of the variety that I love.  Most of it is farm-raised now
Haddock and cod are up there.
Love all kinds of shellfish and mollusks:  some favorites include shrimp, clams, raw oysters, scallops (both bay and sea) and soft-shell crabs and lobster and mussels (but perhaps not allowed as choices on this thread?).
Almost forgot tuna!  Particularly yellow tail in sashimi, nigiri, and rolls
And swordfish (Don't overcook it though!)  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 14, 2022, 07:50:12 AMAh yes, we stayed at the Peabody too. When I tell friends and family how the lift (sorry elevator ;)) door opens and a line of ducks march to an indoor fountain in the middle of the foyer for a dip I get the impression I'm not believed.
Ducks?!  :o  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 21, 2023, 01:25:45 PMI saw that article today and was thinking of inquiring as to how many of our British folks (and others included) grew up (or discovered later in life) various eel dishes that used to be common and many vendors sold them.

I've had (and love) the unagi that I've had in Japanese restaurants.
What else?  Boy, had just discovered Chilean sea bass when it went on the endangered list--so that ended that.
Love salmon, but it's become harder and harder to get any of the variety that I love.  Most of it is farm-raised now
Haddock and cod are up there.
Love all kinds of shellfish and mollusks:  some favorites include shrimp, clams, raw oysters, scallops (both bay and sea) and soft-shell crabs and lobster and mussels (but perhaps not allowed as choices on this thread?).
Almost forgot tuna!  Particularly yellow tail in sashimi, nigiri, and rolls
And swordfish (Don't overcook it though!)  :)

PD

Yes, unagi eel is one of my favorite food. When it is grilled with good charcoal, it is wonderful with the nice sauce. If you have a chance, please try Anago/conger eels in Japan. They are even softer than unagi and juicy.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jan/22/tamai-tokyo-restaurant-japan-anago-conger-eel?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 21, 2023, 01:37:02 PMYes, unagi eel is one of my favorite food. When it is grilled with good charcoal, it is wonderful with the nice sauce. If you have a chance, please try Anago/conger eels in Japan. They are even softer than unagi and juicy.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jan/22/tamai-tokyo-restaurant-japan-anago-conger-eel?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Oh, nice!  I hadn't heard of it before now.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

BWV 1080

Red snapper, golden tile, branzino, redfish (red drum), halibut

although I buy a lot of flounder at the grocery store as its cheaper than snapper

KevinP

Despite having lived in Korea for over a quarter-century, I have to admit I'm still like many Americans who grew up inland and still really can't match the names of fish to the meat.

This was often an issue in New Zealand when I'd order fish and chips and would always get the question 'And what kind of fish would you like?' and I'd have to respond, 'Um... could you name some fish that you have?'

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: KevinP on August 23, 2023, 09:27:17 PMDespite having lived in Korea for over a quarter-century, I have to admit I'm still like many Americans who grew up inland and still really can't match the names of fish to the meat.

This was often an issue in New Zealand when I'd order fish and chips and would always get the question 'And what kind of fish would you like?' and I'd have to respond, 'Um... could you name some fish that you have?'

It seems to me, the traditional/old value in the USA is that the red meat is good food and fish is inferior. During WWII, Americans called Japanese fish head- unintelligent people eating inferior food. Where I live, a great majority of people prefer meat and chicken to seafood.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: noahtodd on August 29, 2023, 07:28:01 AMIl like only cod and salmon
Have you tried other *fish?  Growing up, it took me a while to like it.  Fortunately, I was exposed to different types of food and became more adventurous as I grew older.  I'm glad that I reached out of my comfort zone.  :)

*Also important to go to a go to a good restaurant where they know how to prepare it properly (or to a friend's house who is a good cook)  ;) And know what the local specialties are.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter