Memories and Associations (Unusual and Otherwise) Connected To Musical Works

Started by Cato, November 06, 2013, 01:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 11, 2013, 08:46:53 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" for college.

Outside of college, that's a ride to a divorce lawyer usually!   ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 11, 2013, 08:46:53 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" for college.

:laugh:

Damn, you guys are on fire today with the jokes!

Brian

I have many memories associated with where/when I first heard the music, or interestingly enough, what book I was reading at the time:

- Chuck Mangione jazz. My childhood home, Christmas of age 11, reading Holes[/b] by Louis Sachar.
- Khachaturian's cello concerto was on repeat during a road trip through Utah and Arizona.
- some very peculiar, indeed unique car alarm outside my window that kept going off while I read No Country for Old Men
- Brahms chorchestral music (especially the Ave Maria and Alto Rhapsody) with saying goodbye to a beloved friend. I played it on the trip back and have never forgotten that feeling of resignation and peace.

Cato

Quote from: Brian on November 11, 2013, 10:27:14 AM
I have many memories associated with where/when I first heard the music, or interestingly enough, what book I was reading at the time:

- Chuck Mangione jazz. My childhood home, Christmas of age 11, reading Holes[/b] by Louis Sachar.

Chuck Mangione
!  I recall he wore a big hat and often bounced up and down on his toes, when he played (the flugelhorn)!

jochanaan

In my childhood, my mother used to play Mozart's Violin Concerto #3 in G major for my two sisters and me at bedtime every night; she had come across the notion that having a specific "aural setting" for going-to-bed would help us fall asleep better.  It seemed to work.  Years later when I first played in the orchestra for that concerto, I was afraid old associations would make me fall asleep! :o Fortunately, I stayed awake. ;D But that concerto brings back good memories of bedtimes, especially the classic Isaac Stern recording that my mother used.

The opening of Beethoven's Ninth's Scherzo was used at one time for a radio news program--don't ask me which one!  I've been trying for decades to remember...

And the first time I ever played in an orchestra (age 17, at the Nebraska All-State Fine Arts Camp in Lincoln), our program included the March from Saint Saens' Algerian Suite, the Evening Prayer from Hansel und Gretel, a "country" orchestral composition whose name and composer I'd have to look up, and the Finale from Beethoven's Fifth.  Any one of those pieces, especially the Evening Prayer, takes me right back to that heady virgin experience with an orchestra. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Brian

Quote from: jochanaan on November 11, 2013, 06:08:59 PM
In my childhood, my mother used to play Mozart's Violin Concerto #3 in G major for my two sisters and me at bedtime every night; she had come across the notion that having a specific "aural setting" for going-to-bed would help us fall asleep better.

Oh goodness, that reminds me! In 7th grade, every morning we had to help clean up the classroom. Our teacher decided clean-up period should last 10 minutes, and sought out a 10-minute piece of music to give us a time frame. I suggested Tchaikovsky's "Marche slave", which was a mistake on my part, because for the next 180 school days, we listened to "Marche slave" every morning while cleaning. When the music stopped, you stopped spraying down every surface with Orange Clean. That's all we used: Orange Clean.

I think I've listened to "Marche slave" maybe twice since.

Cato

Quote from: Brian on November 11, 2013, 06:49:00 PM
Oh goodness, that reminds me! In 7th grade, every morning we had to help clean up the classroom. Our teacher decided clean-up period should last 10 minutes, and sought out a 10-minute piece of music to give us a time frame. I suggested Tchaikovsky's "Marche slave", which was a mistake on my part, because for the next 180 school days, we listened to "Marche slave" every morning while cleaning. When the music stopped, you stopped spraying down every surface with Orange Clean. That's all we used: Orange Clean.

I think I've listened to "Marche slave" maybe twice since.

And did you smell anything orange when it came on?   ;)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

Oh Brian, I would guess  some of you started to pronounce the name of the work differently after that, maybe as March Slave (March of the Slaves)?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on November 11, 2013, 06:49:00 PM
In 7th grade, every morning we had to help clean up the classroom.

Didn't your school have a custodial staff?  :D  Or was the teacher a germaphobe?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

I have some memories of a "short ride with a fast maiden".

springrite

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

Fafner

"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 12, 2013, 05:31:01 AM
Didn't your school have a custodial staff?  :D  Or was the teacher a germaphobe?

Sarge

I think it probably did have a staff, but she wanted us to have some responsibility for ourselves, I guess. It was great practice for cleaning house as an adult? That 7th grade class also had more homework than I got at any level until university, and once when I didn't finish the English homework my punishment was to call my mom's voice mail and leave a message saying that I hadn't done my homework.

We were also expected to organize cafeteria lunches for the primary school kids and actually complete a job internship that year... I followed the school's IT lady on her rounds, but can't remember any of it. I was 12, what did they expect  ;D

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 12, 2013, 05:31:01 AM

Sarge

Sounds like a Catholic school!  0:)  Getting physical, purgatorial labor from students to improve their souls is an old Catholic tradition!  0:)

jochanaan

Imagination + discipline = creativity

Cato

Quote from: jochanaan on November 12, 2013, 09:40:19 AM
Do you use treble or bass clef on a custodial staff? ;)

There are union rules about those things!

One of my memories is from about 25 years ago or so, when I was showing a videotape (remember those?) of Jessye Norman performing Erwartung by Schoenberg.

I was teaching German at the time, and used the text (not particularly difficult) in the third-year class for translation practice, and then showed the performance on a projection TV which the football coaches used.

At the end of the performance, one of my juniors leaned back and sighed and shook his head.  I asked what was wrong, and he replied: "That opera had so much tension!"
;)