Author Topic: Magnus Lindberg's lair  (Read 17519 times)

snyprrr

Re: Magnus Lindberg's lair!! EMERGENCY!! Re-Eval
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2015, 01:36:59 PM »
LIGHTNING ROUND!!

The rabbit trail led to Lindberg today (how diiid that happen?) and, since I noticed there hasn't been any new news, I thought that an Emergency Re-Evaluation was in order. What Is the Most Essential Lindberg?

1) Sony w/Cello Concerto

2) Sony w/Violin Concerto

3) Clarinet Cto. (Ondine)

4) Piano Cto./KRAFT (Ondine)

5) Finlandia 2-cd

6) Ondine Box

7) Ondine 1 Marea/Kinetics/Joy... I had this once and let it go. Maybe I'm like MI and just didn't respond?

8) Ondine 2... I remember being disappointed when this came out

9) Ondine 3... I remember being disappointed when this came out

10) Ondine 4

11) Ondine 5

12) Ondine 6

13) DG Engine/Aura... I remember being disappointed when this came out

14) Eotvos... Corrente/Ur/Dup Concertante/Joy

I'm pretty sure that's it (except for the PC 2 disc which I'm not interested in). What happened to Lindberg in my heart? He was... then he isn't... now he looks like Skellan Skasgaard?... what's going on? One work. Maybe two. I just don't even want to bother, wtf?

I chanced the SONY disc, and am listening to the Cello Concerto.

I like it,- somewhat an up-dated Lutoslawski?,...more adventurous than WL,... I'm not done yet, but this is just what I would expect a Modern CC to sound like,... it has some balls goin'! Again, a very attractive piece. I haven't yet tried the rest of the disc

snyprrr

Re: Magnus Lindberg's lair!! EMERGENCY!! Re-Eval
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2015, 07:09:58 AM »
I chanced the SONY disc, and am listening to the Cello Concerto.

I like it,- somewhat an up-dated Lutoslawski?,...more adventurous than WL,... I'm not done yet, but this is just what I would expect a Modern CC to sound like,... it has some balls goin'! Again, a very attractive piece. I haven't yet tried the rest of the disc

Finishing up that SONY disc, enjoyed the bubbling 'Fresco' and 'Parada', on to the 'Cantigas'. Frankly, right now, this seems to be the only ML I'll need for a while. The only work I'm interested in now is 'KRAFT' (which recording???), and, I don't know, I'd even go so far as to try that Ondine 'Marea-Joy-Kinetics' disc again.

BUT THAT'S IT BRUTHA!!

snyprrr

Re: Magnus Lindberg's lair YOUR FAVORITE CONCERTO???????
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2017, 07:46:49 AM »
How do you all like the Violin Concerto?

I wasn't all that taken with with of the Piano Concert...i...

I did enjoy the Cello Concerto which I got TWO YEARS AGO!! (what's up with this Thread??)

snyprrr

Re: Magnus Lindberg's lair FIRST TIME Violin Cto. LISTEN
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
How do you all like the Violin Concerto?

I wasn't all that taken with with of the Piano Concert...i...

I did enjoy the Cello Concerto which I got TWO YEARS AGO!! (what's up with this Thread??)

Finally listening now to LisaB's Violin Concerto. Wait... have I heard this before? The opening seems to remind me an awful lot of Lutoslawski,... I'm up to the gliss slides, and now the music begins to build some momentum...

So far, it's "ok", but I can't help but compare this to Late Lutoslawski, which we all know represents a step back from the pure High Modernism of the 60s and 70s. I think I'm listening to a more refined 'Chain' or 'Partita'...

Isn't the Cello Concerto much more adventurous? (I have it here somewhere...)

I'm almost feeling... Debussy?,... but definitely Lutoslawski and Dutilleux... in their more conservative moments...

I'm 7mins. in and I'm glad I listened before I bought. It just sounds too much like a regular ol' VC,... how does it compare with Ligeti or Norgard? Obviously, both of those are more adventurous. At 8:30 I feel like I'm in the alps with Strauss!

or even a mild Szymanowski... I'm also hearing lots of 4ths and 5ths, making it sound like Nielsen's "court music"...

I guess it's trying to be somewhat "cosmic", but... mm... I mean, it's ok... trying to be mysterious but not enough for me... it reminds me a little of LOTR, or 1916 Romanticism...

meh

I'm at the cadenza...

snyprrr

Re: Magnus Lindberg's lair
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »
Had it been by Rautavaara I might have esteemed it more? The ending just sounds kind of regular to me...