Vinyl Explorations

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, December 18, 2013, 09:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

The purpose of this thread is to discuss those LP releases which were never issued on CD or any other digital format; or were re-issued, but are very hard to find on CD; or were re-issued, but incompletely.

I'll kick things off with a recent acquisition: a 2-disc anthology issued on Telefunken's Das alte Werk imprint back in the 1970s, Music from Dürer's Time.

It features 3 different ensembles playing both the big names of that period (Josquin, Obrecht, Isaac) and more obscure composers. The performances have that impressively fervent quality that I like: there's not much of the too-smooth "white" sound that a lot of later early music groups adopted. Plenty of instrumental accompaniment too, which I regard as a good thing.

The 4 sides are organized geographically, with each devoted to a country or region. You can see a complete list of the contents here:

http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/tld11515.htm

It appears that this excellent, wide-ranging set has never been re-issued. Such are the mysteries of the recording business.

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

The Nonesuch label is going to play a major role in this thread. That's because, of all the major labels, Nonesuch has been singularly delinquent in releasing its old vinyl in newer formats. Many of its best releases are still trapped behind the Vinyl Curtain.

A case in point is this album:

Heliotrope Bouquet is a charming album of rags both old and new (well, new at the time it was released - 1971). William Bolcom, himself well-known as a rag composer, plays classics by old-timey composers like Scott Joplin and Joseph Lamb; but he also puts down 2.5 of his own rags (one was co-composed with William Albright). It's a scintillating performance on all counts.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I can't call myself a Pettersson fan, but I enjoyed spinning this pioneering recording of the dyspeptic Swede's 8th Symphony again, after many years during which it was moldering in the basement:

Multiple things to provoke nostalgia here. An American orchestra records music by a still-living European composer, on an established label. Although apparently this was originally issued on a label called Polar, which I'd never heard of before, DG deserves credit for picking it up and giving it wider circulation.

Along with the 7th, this is one of the Pettersson symphonies that I more or less like. It helps that it's split into 2 movements, giving you a brief respite from the anguish. The Baltimoreans play pretty well, tho' I wouldn't exactly call them world class. The conductor, Commissiona, recorded other works of Pettersson, but I think this is the only one he did on this side of the ocean.

Pat B

Nice thread. I have a few LPs that have not been issued digitally, though I doubt any of them could be considered lost classics.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Pat B on December 19, 2013, 06:02:57 AM
Nice thread. I have a few LPs that have not been issued digitally, though I doubt any of them could be considered lost classics.

I don't consider most of my stranded LPs to be "lost classics." But it's nice to have them anyway, and they probably deserve to be re-issued.

springrite

Quote from: Velimir on December 18, 2013, 02:20:40 PM
I can't call myself a Pettersson fan, but I enjoyed spinning this pioneering recording of the dyspeptic Swede's 8th Symphony again, after many years during which it was moldering in the basement:

Multiple things to provoke nostalgia here. An American orchestra records music by a still-living European composer, on an established label. Although apparently this was originally issued on a label called Polar, which I'd never heard of before, DG deserves credit for picking it up and giving it wider circulation.

Along with the 7th, this is one of the Pettersson symphonies that I more or less like. It helps that it's split into 2 movements, giving you a brief respite from the anguish. The Baltimoreans play pretty well, tho' I wouldn't exactly call them world class. The conductor, Commissiona, recorded other works of Pettersson, but I think this is the only one he did on this side of the ocean.
I remember this one fondly, as well as Henze's Tristan, Noel Lee playing Griffes, but mostly, Gitlis in Berg Chamber Concerto, with "The Music Group of London".
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Pat B

Quote from: Velimir on December 19, 2013, 07:27:28 AM
I don't consider most of my stranded LPs to be "lost classics." But it's nice to have them anyway, and they probably deserve to be re-issued.

A valid distinction.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Here we have two American orchestral classics, played superbly by that classic combo, Ormandy-Philadelphia, and recorded around 1976 (perhaps a bicentennial tie-in?).

Apparently the Ives Three Places was re-issued in Japan, so it may fall into the "hard to find" category. The Harris 3rd, as far as I know, has never been reissued anywhere. While Bernstein's take on this symphony is more intense, the Ormandy is a smoother and more secure account. The Philly players outclass their NY counterparts in most respects, and Ormandy's more objective approach brings its own pleasures.

Bogey

We have had vinyl threads in the past and they peeter out.  Let's get this on the map and make it an institution here.  I'll post back tonight.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

here is a four page thread that I started on another site about which labels may give one the best sound.  Worth a look as many excellent posts came through.  I threw it in here because we may want to consider some lps that are better sounding (for some of us) than the digital copy.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/classical-vinyl-lps-what-labels-sound-the-best-rca-living-stereo-london-bluebacks-mercury.313997/
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Bogey on December 19, 2013, 05:46:22 PM
We have had vinyl threads in the past and they peeter out.  Let's get this on the map and make it an institution here.  I'll post back tonight.

Bogey, I know you're an experienced vinylist, much more so than I am. I'm glad to see you here.  :)

Bogey

Quote from: Velimir on December 19, 2013, 06:34:22 PM
Bogey, I know you're an experienced vinylist, much more so than I am. I'm glad to see you here.  :)

I do love the format, but it will be interesting to see what I have in my collection that may not be on cd.  I believe that I may have a Richter recording, but that was last year and who knows if one of the recent releases netted it.  Either way, it will give me an excuse to go through my entire collection.....which sounds like a wonderful New Year's resolution to me. :)  Thanks for catalyzing it!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Bogey on December 19, 2013, 07:20:26 PM
I do love the format, but it will be interesting to see what I have in my collection that may not be on cd. 

Feel free to expand the remit of this thread as you see fit. The only rule is that it must be vinyl-related!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

One more entry before I go on a few days' holiday break. A while back I asked if there was a 1-vol. anthology of Buxtehude organ works. As a fan of JS Bach, I wanted to get a brief view of one of his major influences. All the CD issues seemed to come from complete sets, and I wasn't interested in that. Then one day at Reckless Records in Chicago, in the 50 cent bin, I spotted this:

A nice selection of Buxtehude organ works, played by a certain Jorgen Ernst Hansen in a church in Copenhagen. Just the sort of thing I was looking for! Worth all 50 cents and then some; I'd probably be willing to pay a couple of bucks for it even!

What's also interesting is that this is the 6th and last volume of a Nonesuch series called Master Works for Organ, covering most of the pre-Bach baroque territory in Germany and France. As far as I can tell, this entire series has been languishing on a vinyl Gilligan's Island for decades, never reissued in any form.

Bogey

What is the "sound" like on their vinyl.  I do not need audiophile, but decent is a must.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Bogey on December 20, 2013, 04:07:36 PM
What is the "sound" like on their vinyl.  I do not need audiophile, but decent is a must.

Are you referring to the Nonesuch? I find their sound perfectly acceptable, provided of course the vinyl is in good condition.

Daverz

In general, Nonesuch pressings were very good.

Just grabbed this out of the closet

This older style of mixed choir very much appeals to me.

Bogey

This is an odd question, but if you could nail it, it would be most helpful.  What does the spine of the Nonesuch albums look like?  (If you are feeling board, stack a few and take a quick shot for me when you can.  :))  Thanks!

kishnevi

For me the most vivid memory of Nonesuch LPs was the cover art, of which the Buxtehude posted by Velimir is a good example.  No mistaking them for any other label!

listener

Nonesuch had some very good annotations too, Edward Tatnall Canby being one of the writers.
Here are some more covers of discs waiting for me to switch back from cd s
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."