Vinyl Explorations

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, December 18, 2013, 09:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Charles Ives: The 100th Anniversary

This lavish 5-LP box put together by Columbia in 1974 is the sort of luxury item that makes record collecting fun. Some of the performances here are well-known and easily available (the Bernstein/NY stuff, obviously, but I'm not sure if everything here has been reissued (and if so, certainly not in one convenient box)). The "Ives Plays Ives" and "Charles Ives Remembered" records are certainly fascinating and unusual items.

You can see the full list of contents here:

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Ives-The-100th-Anniversary/release/3539774
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

geralmar

The 1812/Bolero reissue is in Vol. 3 of the Living Stereo CD box sets.  However, in remastering the 1812 for the set the tapes with the cannon and bells could not be found; hence the CD reissue is without them.  If one wants the 1812 with cannon and bells the out of print L.P. is the only option.

Carlo Gesualdo

This is what I'm all about this year, vinyl worship I purchased four LP and a box-set that incredible.

Archiv Produktion LP  remain a great favorite

I bought firstly, Gregorian  Godehard Joppich, sounds amazing, for only 5$

Secondly I put my hands on Music Music of the Gothic era
By The Early Music Consort of London- David (Munrow direction)
This Box-set is awesome not just look great be sounds great and explore  the Gothic Era quite well:
Leonin Perotin, Motets of Montpellier codex and Bamberg (Hoquetus), is this sweet are what, to finish in Ars Vetus whit Machaut and buddy.

Tercio on Seraphim I took Dufay  Missa Se la Face ay Pale +songs, neato, love Dufay!!!

Quatro, Music of court of Burgundy, whit old song of Franco-Flemish lesser know(yes!!).

Than cinquo finally, I stumble on a Pierre Boulezzz rendition of the fameous Pierrot Lunaire opus.27 on EVEREST record,, and the singer narrator voice flow wonderfully whit instrumental part, what a delight, I never though I would appreciate this work like I do now, before the voice of each  singers use to annoy me, here it's pleasant, my favorite Pierrot Lunaire opus.27 since forever and the vinyl is thick has a great  sounds overall.

This was my recent vinyl exploration,what else can I says super!!!

I wonder if you folks heard these so far?

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on December 19, 2019, 11:07:06 PM
You probably know this already, but the Gould Miaskovsky and Antar are in RCA's Gould box and sound wonderful.

[asin]B017E52YWA[/asin]
Thanks yes. As soon as I was aware of this I had to dash out to buy the box set in a mad panic. Gould's performance of Symphony No. 21 is the best IMO. It was after all commissioned for the Chicago SO. It's a fabulous set, especially as they reproduce the colourfully exotic/psychedelic/oriental LP sleeve in a mini CD version:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Carlo Gesualdo

Archiv Produktion vinyl a disivion of deutsch gramophone has killer releases.

We should talk about them too.
I love  this label!